Different Sleep Problem | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Different Sleep Problem Different Sleep Problem

Unread 01-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Different Sleep Problem

I'm not having problems getting to sleep, my problem is that I will sleep between 1 and 2 hours then wake up aching all around my stomach and back. When I move to a different position the pain goes away and I can go back to sleep, only to sleep another 1 or 2 hours and am back awake with the aching. This goes on all night. I go to bed at 10 and get up at 7 or 8, but only get probably 6 hours of sleep. I don't have much problem getting back to sleep. I just wake up 5 or 6 times a night aching and needing to change positions. I'm 5 1/2 weeks out.

Any suggestion on what to do or what could be causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Different Sleep Problem

The disrupted sleep pattern was normal for me - only I would move from bed to recliner back to bed... DH said I whimpered and moaned in my sleep. He would lightly rub my tummy (according to him) and then I would relax again and be quiet.

Check with your doc first - Tylenol PM helped me relax and keep the pain level at bay overnight. I think there is an Aleeve PM now too...
Unread 01-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Different Sleep Problem

I still have this type of sleep pattern, only without any pain. I never did have much pain.

I go to bed at about 10 pm and wake up usually every 1 or 2 hours, until about 5 am, and then I'm awake for good. I get up about 6 or 6:30 am.

It has been exhausting, so I finally decided with my Doctor's advice, to try some estrogen (0.3 mg Premarin). Hopefully this will help and I can finally get some sleep! Not sleeping for 6 months has been the worst part of the surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Different Sleep Problem

I'm on viville dot .075 since the surgery. I had a tah/bso. I have tried benedryl at night, but doesn't seem to help. I just can't figure out why I ache when I wake up because It goes away as soon as I change positions. I will try the tylenol pm and see if that helps. Thanks.
Unread 01-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Different Sleep Problem

I use Tylenol PM when I simply must get a good night's rest.
Unread 01-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Different Sleep Problem

Has anyone resorted to buying a new mattress? I've had the same waking up every few hours issue since surgery. I went shopping for one last week - looking at a memory foam mattress. Just wondering if that helps at all.
Unread 01-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Different Sleep Problem

I'm 5 weeks post op as well. One night when I ate a large dinner prior to going to bed I was miserable with bloating and trapped gas in my tummy. I will never eat a heavy dinner again!!! All along it seems to be my intestines that are the most tender and the constipation and hardest to put up with. My Doc prescibed Lunesta for me and when I do take it occasionally it does help. Good Luck!!!
  Quote:
Originally Posted by deputychief
I'm not having problems getting to sleep, my problem is that I will sleep between 1 and 2 hours then wake up aching all around my stomach and back. When I move to a different position the pain goes away and I can go back to sleep, only to sleep another 1 or 2 hours and am back awake with the aching. This goes on all night. I go to bed at 10 and get up at 7 or 8, but only get probably 6 hours of sleep. I don't have much problem getting back to sleep. I just wake up 5 or 6 times a night aching and needing to change positions. I'm 5 1/2 weeks out.

Any suggestion on what to do or what could be causing this?
Unread 01-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Different Sleep Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Kim
Has anyone resorted to buying a new mattress? I've had the same waking up every few hours issue since surgery. I went shopping for one last week - looking at a memory foam mattress. Just wondering if that helps at all.

Sure did! Surgery on April 6 bought the new set over Memorial Day... European style (the thick, never flip one) with 4" of memory foam in the top layer. HEAVENLY! and I slept much better because of the better support.
Unread 01-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Different Sleep Problem

The thing that has helped me the most has been the microbead pillows (the gushy ones). I would situate the bigger one under my stomach (while laying on my side), and the roll shaped one under my head (it formed to my neck). It helped me to sleep so well that I don't even use my regular pillow anymore.

I hope you get some relief soon.

Hugs, Luck, and Prayers,
Char
Unread 01-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Different Sleep Problem

I could use one of those microbead pillows myself. Did it require a trip to a specialty store, Char?

Lena

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register