2 yrs out and still...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 yrs out and still...... 2 yrs out and still......

Unread 03-21-2011, 06:19 AM
2 yrs out and still......

Hello everyone! I had my hyster in Nov09, and things have been alot harder than I had expected. I waited til almost a yr to things to get back to how I was before. Although, I kept telling the docs something wasn't right, all CBC's came back normal, so went on dealing w/ things. They had left only one ovary in when they did hyst b/c I was only 33 at the time, in hopes that wouldn't need HRT. Long story short, went to my primary and sd either figure out what is wrong, or send me to someone who will. SO, he did a more intricate cbc, and had hardly ANY estrogen, mine was like 23.3 when normal for a functioning ovary is like 250 plus, menapausal woman 150 plus. So they put me on a low dose of estrogen w/ something else, can't remember right now,lol. Any how, I thought that was the answer, I have been on them for almost three or four mths now. Hot flashes are increasing, but do feel better. All except the weepiness, it's been awful. Been causing probs between hub and I, which have been together for 16 yrs now. I cry at everything or nothing, make a big deal out of little things that shouldn't matter, but they do now. It's rediculous,lol. I called my doc, and he really didn't want to up the meds until I was on them longer. I guess my question, is how many of you went through this type of thing. How long did you didn't feel so weepy or just flat out depression? Did you go on anything for the sadness? How did you cope? I feel like I am loosing my mind at times. Things in my life are stressful right now, which I am sure isn't helping. I know I am a very sensitive person anyhow, but this is just over the top, if you know what I mean? I love this site, has given me much help before, so I am hoping this time again will help me. Thanks so much for taking the time! I hope everyone has a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Re: 2 yrs out and still......

Many of us have been there. It sounds like you really need your estrogen upped.

Have they checked your progesterone levels?
Unread 03-21-2011, 07:21 AM

what a shame to feel like this yet
Sounds like someone needs to really listen and help you out! You need that estrogen!
I can only imagine what this has been like for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2011, 08:19 AM

Three months is long enough to be on a estrogen dose and know how it's going to affect you. It's time to change the dose if this isn't working for you. I also strongly advise you to either let an OB-GYN or an endocrinologist manage your estrogen until it's stabilized. Primary care docs are very good at a lot of things, but the OBs and endocrinologists are the hormone experts and not having your estrogen level correct... well, you can see what THAT does.
Unread 03-22-2011, 05:55 AM

Thanks everyone! Yeah, it is hard. Hard to tell if things/feelings in my life are really how I feel or just from the estrogen influeincing, know what I mean? I have been thinking hard about going to an endo doc. The ob that did my hyst was great pre op, but post op, not so much! He would NOT even consider that my remaining ovary wasn't working or that something was wrong. It is just nice I guess knowing others have gone through this same thing, unfortuantly, but still nice to not feel alone.

How did everyone else cope? Did you go on higher doses of hormones or did you go on antidepressents, at least til hormones got regulated? Or did you just deal and tell eveyone around you, sorry, but you all just have to deal? Thanks again so much
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:44 AM

I really have no advice but wanted to offer I really hope you can get some help and support soon.
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:38 AM

Hi Cowgirl
I had one ovary removed when I was 33 and everything went downhill afterwards. I can totally relate to your post. I remember lots of discussions where I was told 1 ovary is as good as 2. I asked as soon as I started having problems if it was the 2nd ovary not working very well and was made to feel like a total idiot - but that did turn out to be the problem after all. I found a gyno who understood and started me on estrogen which helped loads. Not sure how my dose would relate to yours - but I don't think mine was a low dose particularly. I carried on having some issues but probably more to do with the fluctuations of the hormones than the actual level, and had my remaining ovary removed this year.

The gyno I saw first told me that you need a higher level of estrogen to stop the depression than you do to stop the other problems of low estrogen. I'm not sure how true that is but he is very knowledgable on the hormone side of things. Maybe it is worth getting your levels tested again, or asking if you can try a higher dose to see if there is any improvement?
Hope you feel better soon
Unread 03-22-2011, 12:04 PM

cowgilr, I would definitely talk to the endo about the hormones and see what he/she recommends about an antidepressant. Since antidepressants don't tend to work immediately, you might be able to get the relief you need just as quickly from an increase in estrogen as from the two drugs combined - and an added antidepressant might make it harder to tell if the estrogen dose you get changed to is working for you.
Unread 03-23-2011, 06:23 AM

Thanks again everyone! Like I sd, it sure does help knowing you are not alone. I did call and ask about uping my doseage, he wants me to wait about another mth or so..grrrrrrr....so what am I sposed to do just go on moody/depressed at times, or grouchy, lol. Geez, easy for someone to say that, especially all those male docs,lol. I can DEF tell a difference since taking the estrogen. I was thinking since I have been on it for a bit, maybe since things are starting to get back to normal, just hormones flucuating so much causing such a change in moood/function. IDK, but I know I am ready to be over it this like yesterday! Not only is it frustrating enough to go through the hyst and feel like you were misinformed by the whole process, but to still be dealing w/ things after almost two yr afterward. Thanks again so much
Unread 03-23-2011, 09:36 AM

Sorry you are having such a frustrating time and you have to wait to up the dose. Maybe you could keep a journal of symptoms while you wait? It may help show if symptoms are down to cycle fluctuations or not. Hang in there girl. Hugs x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register