recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-24-2004, 09:27 AM
recovery

Hello Everyone,

My DH asked me about ladies & their stoires 6months & one year after. I was hoping that I could hear from some of you to reassure him.

I am looking forward to may surgery, but not the first few weeks home. I read "The Princess and the pillow police and it got me wondering, I have always slept on my side, How hard is weeks on my back going to be. Or maybe how soon can I sleep on my side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2004, 09:35 AM
recovery

Hello there,

You know what? I haven't read that story yet, but I can't sleep on my back, either! I had a TAH/BSO four weeks ago, today. I guess everyone is a little different. I just read a post/reply from someone who put a flat (harder type) pillow underneath her tummy when she sleeps on her side instead of a fluffy pillow under her tummy. She's right to do that! The harder pillow provides nice support to hold up your tummy when you're laying on your side. You stuff it deep underneath your tummy really close to your body to 'hold it up'. It feels wonderful because your tummy doesn't feel like it's going to drop onto the bed! Try it post op....remember, harder, firmer pillow. Otherwise, a fluffy pillow will just poof downward as you sleep and so will your tummy!

Happy resting!
Unread 05-24-2004, 09:39 AM
recovery

Thanks,

that sounds wonderful and I am doing my castle shopping this week so that is being added to my list.

I goota say this site has done wonders for my fears and worries.

THANK YOU EVERYONE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2004, 02:15 PM
recovery

Hi Linda- I haven't been able to sleep on my back for the last 2 months due to this fibroid tumor and ovarian cyst being so large. It pushes against my belly and is sooooo uncomfortable. So I've been switching sides all night long to sleep.

I was also thinking how it will be to sleep on my back once again. I'm going to try the pillow techniques and see what works for me. Not being able to sleep after being such a bundle of nerves will really stink.

We are practically neighbors, I live in Canyon Country. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you.
Unread 05-24-2004, 02:33 PM
recovery

I have been sleeping on either side or back since day of surgery. At castle they propped me up with pillows but at home I don't need them anymore. I have been very comfortable in that respect.
Unread 05-24-2004, 03:03 PM
recovery

Thanks Woodsie

That makes me feel much better to hear.

You are enough ahead of me in this game that I hope you don't mind if I keep tabs on your postings.
Unread 05-24-2004, 03:29 PM
recovery

Hi,

I'm a side sleeper too, and somehow on my third night in the hospital, I ended up on my left side. I woke up and wondered how on earth I managed that without knowing it! It took about two weeks though before I was really comfortable turning on my side to sleep. The best thing I bought was a body pillow. I still use mine, can't even sleep without it anymore (and my surgery was two years ago!)

As for recovery stories, feel free to read your DH mine, which is posted at the links in my signature. I can tell you now, I had a textbook surgery and recovery and I feel worlds better than I did before surgery!

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Unread 05-24-2004, 03:39 PM
recovery

Before my surgery, I always slept on my side! Afterwards I was able to sleep on my back, but wanted to be back on my side.

Maybe a week after my surgery, I started doing the pillow-under-the-tummy thing, and it works! Now I can sleep on my side again with no trouble at all. I use a fairly firm pillow, too.

Something else that's really helped me is to put this pillow, which I think is a queen size pillow, between my legs when I sleep on my side. It's big enough so that I can let the top part cushion my tummy, and rest my top leg on the pillow too.

Sounds weird but it works! For what it's worth, I also put a little pillow (like a throw pillow) behind my back. It just adds a little reinforcement!

Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register