what would you do? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what would you do? what would you do?

Unread 04-04-2006, 07:34 PM
what would you do?

Hi to all
Almost 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with probable adeno. My gyno decided that due to my problems a hysterectomy was the answer. I'm fine with that decision but when he did the examination he said that I also had a vaginal infection. He put DH and myself onto a course of antibiotics and has schedueld the surgery for 4 weeks time. He has told us not to have sex for the 2 weeks whilst on the meds, (that really made DH happy, ontop of the 6 week drought that will be coming up LOL) but my dr has not requested that I go back and see him prior to the surgery. What happens if the infection has not cleared up??? I didn't even know I had it, so I wont be able to tell myself if it's still there or not.
Any wise advice? Oh and my doctor will be away for a few weeks prior to surgery, so I can't even make an appointment with him even if I wanted to.

Thanks Gillian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2006, 08:03 PM
what would you do?

Hi Gillian,

What would I do? I would follow the Dr's orders to the letter. He must feel very confident that the antibiotics he gave you will take care of the infection. I know it is a long wait for intimacy, but it is so worth it to get your health back. You can take advantage of the 2 weeks between the meds and your surgery.

S,
Kay
Unread 04-04-2006, 08:12 PM
what would you do?

Oh Kay m, trust me my DH will take full advantage of that two weeks after the meds I might even be glad to get to the hospital so I can rest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2006, 12:35 AM
what would you do?

Gillian,

I think you should listen to your own inner wisdom. I'm guessing you are asking for our advice because that little voice inside you is telling you that something is off here. Listen to it.

I urge you to go get at least one second opinion before committing to surgery. Remember, the AMA, ACOG and every other credible medical association always recommend obtaining a second opinion before committing to any kind of surgery.

This is a very serious surgery with life altering consequences and should only be done as a last resort. In my opinion, one visit with a "probable" diagnosis and no follow up on your infection or pre-surgical consultation scheduled, just doesn't seem like enough.

What do the other sisters think?

If you do go for a second opinion, (and I pray you will) it's usually best not to ask your current doctor for a referral. Second opinions are best coming from someone who is in no way associated with your present doctor, either professionally or socially.

In the mean time, keep reading all you can here on Hyster Sisters and make sure to visit the other threads and topics as well.

Best wishes,
Unread 04-05-2006, 04:03 AM
what would you do?

Hello Lucille, thank you for your thoughtful reply. I am very comfortable with the decision for the operation, I don't want a second opinion, my inner wisdom is calm with this. My periods are way out of control and as I am not going to have any children, I am so sick of my life being on standby whilst I have my period and go through all this pain.......I just dont' want this anymore, so bring on the operation. I am only worried as to what if the surgery is done whilst I still have an infection. Can it cause other problems with healing etc??? That is my only concern here.
Unread 04-05-2006, 06:03 AM
what would you do?

Hey Czardas,

I would just call my doc and ask that very question. I have been without symptoms for various infections and didn't know till diagnosis so I understand your concern of not knowing when healed. Ask your doctor to do a check/test at the 2 week mark to make sure it is gone. It will give you peace of mind I think.

take care,

Sharon aka Spritey
Unread 04-11-2006, 09:27 PM
what would you do?

Gillian

I totally agree with Lucille in CA and would urge you to get a second opinion.

My concern would be that you don't have a definite diagnoses, only 'possible adeno'. There have been far to many women who have gone willingly into surgery for possible this and possible that only to come out and there was nothing there.

My own personal opinion is that to go into this surgery without some concern for the long term implications suggests to me that perhaps women are not fully aware of the decision they are making. I am speaking from experience as I was one of those women.

I always think it can't hurt to get a second opinion and for every women you read or hear about that says she is having the time of her life after surgery there is another women who is battling with the after effects, please be fully aware of this.

You did mention that you have to refrain from intercourse while on antibiotics and six weeks after the op, some of us don't get the libido back or lose pretty much all sensation. I think this is really important to remember as life doens't always go on the way it has before the op.

I urge you again to get another opinion.
Unread 04-11-2006, 09:45 PM
what would you do?

OK I am going to vent here....... I have less than a week to go to my surgery. Please Aussie Chic, I know you mean well but don't tell me to go and get a second opinion. You do not know the facts like my doctor and I know, you do not know the pain and suffering I have when I get my period, so please don't tell me with one week to go, to get another doctors opinion. What on earth are they going to do???? How will this pain and flooding with huge blood clots ever end without this hysterectomy? Temporary fixes I am not interested in. The reason for this thread was to ask about the vaginal infection not to invite others to tell me not to have this operation. It is hard enough coming to terms with all of this.
Sorry if I have offended you but my nerves are stretched to the limit this week and I had already said in a reply to Lucille in CA that I want to go ahead with the surgery etc.
I know the risks etc. that's why I came to this site, to be as informed as possible about my decision.

There is a lot of fantastic support on this site but sometimes it can also add to your worries etc.
Unread 04-11-2006, 10:15 PM
what would you do?

Don't worry any more about this, you have made the right decision for you. Ask your doctor how he will know that the infection is really gone before he does surgery. I'm sure he doesn't want to operate on you if there is any risk, but just ask him how he will make this determination. Good luck to you!
Unread 04-11-2006, 11:15 PM
what would you do?

I'm glad to hear that you are at peace with your decision to have a hysterectomy.
I would just call your docs office and ask the million dollar question.....how will you or he know for sure that the infection was cleared up before surgery if you are not checked by him. If he is scheduled to be out of town before surgery and cannot see you himself then maybe ask if he can refer you to a partner in his field or office to just do a quick check-up on the infection.
I totally understand your worries and you are right to want to be sure everything is okay before surgery.
Best of luck to you in getting a good response from your doc and on your upcoming visit to the castle.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register