Newbie - considering hyst, looking for advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie - considering hyst, looking for advice Newbie - considering hyst, looking for advice

Unread 07-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Newbie - considering hyst, looking for advice

I am very seriously considering having a hysterectomy but I want to know what I'm "signing up for" as far as post-op recovery and short and long term symptoms afterward

Diagnosis is fibroids - this after an ablation and D&C just 8 months ago for abnormal heavy bleeding and a polyp. Recently bled heavily for 22 days leading to ultrasound discovering the fibroids.

I am 39 years old and mother of 2 (don't want any more kids), so that part doesn't bother me. I have a family history of gyn problems and my grandmother passed away from endometrial cancer. I would really like to have the uterus out and gone so I don't have to worry about these problems anymore, but I need to know if I'm inviting in a whole new load of problems by having the surgery.

What kind of hormonal, depression, pain and libido changes am I looking at? Are they long term or do they go away?
How long does it REALLY take to recover? My Dr. makes it sound like no big deal, but reading posts, etc. makes it seem like there are endless possibilities for problems and complications. I just don't want to regret my decision. Would love advice!

My children are 8 and 3 so I have a busy family that relies on me. My husband is good to help and we've been talking about the strain it would put on the household if I have this surgery. Advice about this would be good too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Re: Newbie - considering hyst, looking for advice

You are very wise to be asking questions before making your final decision!

There are many pros and cons to a hysterectomy and the surgery should not be done unless the pros outweigh the cons. Less invasive, alternative options should also be considered as they could have fewer risks and could alleviate your symptoms. You can read more about fibroids and the treatment of them in our Fibroid Resources.

Unfortunately, there is no crystal ball that allows any of us to see what the future holds. Had I known about all the complications I would encounter, I would have made different decisions! My surgical complications led to a very long recovery that affected my entire family. Additionally, my health was never quite the same.

You specifically asked about hormonal, depression, and libido issues. Often these particular symptoms go along with hormone imbalance. If you do not have your ovaries removed, you could avoid dealing with HRT and the symptoms that go along with finding the right hormonal balance. I would suggest that you careful discuss an oophorectomy (removal of the ovaries) with your doctor to determine if one is necessary for you. The ovaries do not automatically have to removed when a hysterectomy is needed.

Before you make your final decision I would also advise that you seek at least a second medical opinion to determine what would be best for you!

Unread 07-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Re: Newbie - considering hyst, looking for advice

Hi i'm new and asking the same ?s as you but i was thinking i could stand the after shock better than this pain and bleeding and i've had this problem for 20 years my thought is if i keep waiting what will happen? it could turn to cancer or ? but anyway best of luck and remember it's your body and you have to do whats best for you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register