Decision made; time to set a date. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Decision made; time to set a date. Decision made; time to set a date.

Unread 02-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Decision made; time to set a date.

Hello my dear sister's!
I have an appointment to see my Ob/Gyn/Uro, on Friday. When I last saw him, I told him I would think about having a hysterectomy, due to the fact my PID doesn't respond well to antibiotics; and I would let him know the next time I saw him. Well, unfortunately, my PID has reared its ugly head again, and is making life very unpleasant, so I made an appointment to see him; plus I have an appointment to see my GP today, as my 12 month referal has run out, and I need it to see my Ob/Gyn/Uro; plus I need to have a breast exam...found a lump a while back, and have discovered my paternal
grandmother had a breast removed due to breast cancer.
Anyway, after a period of denial about the necessity of a hyster; I realized I need it. Nothing else will cure my PID, according to my Dr; whom I trust implicitly. He does not recommend these lightly. He joked with me that he had enough work to keep him busy, and he didn't need any more practice with hysterectomies! LOL; I love that man.
I was then having trouble deciding if I should leave my left fallopian tube and ovary to save having to take HRT or natural therapy. I have agonized over this for some time now. Well, now, through a lot of reading, I have finally made my descision. I am going to have the BSO, as PID sufferers risk their fallopian tubes leaking or rupturing, which can cause peritonitis(and possible death); along with an increased chance of getting ovarian cancer. My dad's sister had ovarian cancer, which puts me at higher risk, still. There are other things that can go wrong; but those two on their own are enough to make up my mind.
I am grieving at the various implications of the procedure; but in the end, I know this is the right decision for me.
So, Friday, I will post my Hyster date; and whilst I don't have it yet, my stomach has turned to nervous mush just thinking about it!
I am going to ask for a date mid to late July, as I have some organising to do; plus I want to lose a little weight, which will make the surgery less risky, and aid my recovery.
Sorry for rambling on so long. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart, as you have no idea how much your various posts have helped me.
Bless you all!

Snowflake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2007, 07:37 PM

Hugs, Snowflake. Its not an easy decision, to be sure. But for me it was the right one.
Unread 02-12-2007, 01:45 AM

Hello Snowflake! I've been on this road too. Told that I would probably need hyster last June, shock, denial for months and months. Chose mid-Feb to give me time to get slimmer, fitter and so on.
In retrospect I maybe should have aimed to get it done a bit sooner. Seven months is a long time to feel you are struggling emotionally, though I have had no physical symptoms at all and feel quite well so that side of it was easy for me.
You would be having it done in your winter wouldn't you? So for your next summer you will hopefully be feeling much better, which is a positive thing.
Hugs
Louise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2007, 02:51 AM

Snowflake -

Ramble away! We;ve all done it at one point or another. I know this is a major decision and know the peace that falls over you, even when accompanied by nerves, when you have finally decided.

Best wishes on your surgery and recovery,

Julie
Unread 02-14-2007, 04:24 PM

Mz Tiny, Louise and Julie,
Thank you so very much for your lovely replies.
The support on this forum is phenominal. I'm not sure how well I would be keeping my sanity if I did not have all of the ladies on this thread to learn from.
Louise, I am pleased you are feeling well. I pray all goes well on the 21st of February, and you recover swiftly.
I have been contemplating the possibility of having the hyster sooner. Yesterday, my cousin who is turning 40 in June, sent me an invitation; which would require organizing flights, etc. At the moment, I live day to day, because you never know when you are going to be out of action; so the idea of thinking that far in advance, and risk travelling when it flairs up, scares the begeebies out of me! I am now contemplating April; which would give me 2 months to recouperate.
If I have it done then, it will give me plenty of time to get into A-1 shape for our Summer!
Julie, thanks for reminding me, I am not the only one who feels the need to ramble, sometimes. Hehehe. I agree, it was a relief to finally make the descision. Now I just have to fight the nerves, and trust God to help me through this; whatever His will, may be. I try and remain positive. I have had two other surgeries by my Dr; both of which, went well. He has had plent of experience with Hysters; so I am sure he will do a great job. (With the grace of God)
Thanks again ladies!

Snowflake

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register