Words of Encouragement - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Words of Encouragement Words of Encouragement

Unread 02-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Words of Encouragement

Ah Guardian Angels (((hugs)))
I felt much the same as you when I was told I needed a hyster. I was terrified, but I have come to accept it. I am having a TAH on March 2nd (the exact same day as my mother's, only 28 years later!!). I was terrified, and came to this site, and read lots, posted some, asked some silly questions, and read more. I have a little bag that I am collecting my post-op items in. Those for the hospital, and another bag for home. I will have support when I am home, but I would suggest there are a couple of agencies that you might be interested in contacting for post-op support, to see what might be available in your area. Not sure of all the qualifications, but try contacting the CCAC (Community Care Access Center) and the VON. I am not sure what is available in Alberta, but here in Ontario, there is a program run by the VON that will provide you with a ride home from the hospital, with trained staff. They can't stay with you, but they can make sure that you make it home, and inside, safely.
And I hear ya about the jiggly belly!! After I had my three kids, I was stretched beyond repair. I have stretch marks on my stretch marks, and a little "apron" of a belly. I would love to lose it, and having fibroids the size of a 16 week pregnancy doesn't make me feel much better!! I am hoping that my tummy will shrink after surgery, so I don't feel so big and bloated!!

Best of luck to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Words of Encouragement

Guardian Angels,
I'm sorry you feel so alone at such a time, but you've come to the right place for support. You won't find anyone more understanding and supportive than hyster sisters cuz we're all either "princesses in waiting" or princesses who have gone through it. And let me tell you, no question is too silly or too sensitive here. Read all the different posts and you'll see that. I even posted a question about "what if I have my period on surgery day" and I couldn't believe all the ladies that answered!

As far as your concern for showering, if I were you I'd buy a shower seat bench to place in your tub or shower. Another nice idea is to get one of those shower heads that you can remove and hold in your hand, in case you want to wash your hair with that...you can easily temporarily unscrew your original shower head and put the hand held one on, then put the old one back on after your're all healed. They are nice to have...especially if it has a powerful massage setting! If you choose to use a walker, like Seabutterfly said she did, you could look into a medical supply store and rent the walker, shower seat bench and other things like a side table on wheels, etc.

I had my surgery 1/27/09. I had a TAH/BSO. Though I'm not alone, my fiance only took 1 day off work, the day I came home from the hospital (I was only in the hospital one night). I was scared to death to be on my own the next day when he went to work, but I did ok. I put a kitchen chair beside my bed because there was not a night stand and used it to brace myself when I would roll out of bed...very helpful. I put everything I would need for the day..meds, remote control, phone, book, glasses, etc in a basket right by my side while I was on the couch. You could fill a cooler with ice and put drinks, puddings, etc in it so you don't have to get up much the first few days.

But, I will tell you...the more you move, the faster you'll feel better. Even if it's little walks around the house, you need to move because that will make your bowels work better. You will need the Gas X and stool softeners, maybe Miralax or Milk of Magnesia. The pain meds can cause constipation...my biggest pain in the rear (pun intended) during my recovery has been the bowel issues! I am slowly getting back to normal with that.

And really, I know you're scared to death and that is so normal, but you will find out that the nerves before hand are worse than they need to be....it really isn't as bad as we imagine it will be. When you hear they ladies say that, they mean it. So try to keep your mind occupied, do your research here and make lists of questions for your doc. And get your house all set up for your recovery. GOOD LUCK!
Unread 02-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Words of Encouragement

I hooked a basket to the walker & leaned on it every where I went. I liked it cuz it was always with me.
Unread 02-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Words of Encouragement

Happy Valenitines Day to all the Hystersisters.

I went to the library this morning and picked up a few books by Christiane Northrup called Women's Bodies, Women's Widsom, Chicken soup for the Soul , and a couple of pocket books to read In April. I went shopping after and bought a new fitted sheet for when I come home from the hospital. I then popped into a local drug store to browse and found the cutest little stuffed bumble bee, that I bought. I have this thing about bumble bees and being at the right place at the right time. It was the only one left. Last year when I went down to a Memorial Forest where trees are planted in memory of someone who had passed away, there was a little bumble sitting on the tip of the little tree that I went down to water. He was the cutest little bee and sat on the top of the tree and stared and stated at me. He would leave then come back, again and again. I'll be honest, I thought that was cute but nothing more. Then a week or two after, I went back to the tree to water it, and I'll be darned, the bee came back and sat on the top again. I did not feel scared, but I felt at peace. Two or three months after that I finally got through to the doctor, that I just was not feeling well and could he send me to someone who cared. He then sent me for urine tests, again, then he found blood in the urine and sent me for an ultrasound. That is when they seen a lump. I then went for a MRI in November and that was when they advised me I had two fibroids. I often wonder how things work. Maybe it is a coincidence about the bee, but I prefer to think, that someone is still looking after me all of my 53 years.
Thank you eveyone for listening and being there when you are all needed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register