Considering Hysterectomy.....very scared!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Considering Hysterectomy.....very scared!!! Considering Hysterectomy.....very scared!!!

Unread 01-21-2002, 01:31 PM
Considering Hysterectomy.....very scared!!!

Hello.....I am new here and I have just made an appointment for a consultation with my obgyn to discuss having a hysterectomy. I have had endo for several years and the pain during my period has become more and more intense, and while my periods aren't heavy they hang around for ten days and visit every three weeks!! At some points it seems ridiculous to even consider doing this just because of a few bad days here and there......but I can't do any of the typical hormonal treatments for endo due to migranes and high blood pressure. So it's either hysterectomy or face another 15 years of this!!!! (I'm only 30) Not to mention that I have been thru infertility treatment and meds for nine years now to concieve a second child......nothing has been the same since my last round of treatment.

At first my doc had mentioned TVH.....but now I'm not so sure.....I really want to keep my cervix and I'm not sure if that's possible doing surgery vaginally. I'm also thinking I want to keep at least one ovary if the endo isn't too bad. Any thoughts......any other options........?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2002, 08:09 AM

Dear Shelli,

Congrats on having the forethought to seek out lots of answers. I didn't have endo, but there are lots of ladies here who did, and can reply to that part of your question more specifically.

As for the type of surgery, you will need lap-assistance or abdominal surgery in order to retain the cervix. Vaginal-only surgery requires removal of the cervix to get to the uterus.

Keep reading & posting. Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

Sending cyberhugs
Unread 01-22-2002, 08:30 AM

It could be more than 15 years. I don't know the normal age for menopause but a friend of mine has a mom who is 53 and still has periods. The cervix is part of the uterus or the "neck" and can still cause mini-periods if kept. I've read that it's more common in women who have kept their ovaries. If you look on the Road less traveled or type in search word "mini-periods" you will see that some are still having monthly bleeding. I wanted a guarantee of no bleeding, no cervical cancer risk, and my dr wanted a less invasive route (vaginal). Some have decided it's an end to yearly paps but most recommend that you continue to get paps to check for vaginal cancer. As far as sex, I always had pain and sometimes bleeding during and after. I was diagnosed with endo 10 years ago and had it lasered out. Is there any gaurantee that the endo didn't spread to the cervix to cause this? Good luck with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2002, 09:01 AM
I kept an ovary despite having endo...

Hi Shelli,

I also had a history of endo from my early 20's, and was very glad to be able to keep one ovary as I was not menopausal at the time of surgery. My Dr. strongly felt that at my age, the advantage to keeping an ovary that could make my own hormones (the best ones for me) would outweigh the chance of endo returning. Also, the younger you are, the more impact it will be on you to lose both ovaries.

You are wise to be researching your options, and I pray that you'll make the decision that's right for you.

My very best to you...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register