IM scared of the operation thats coming | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IM scared of the operation thats coming IM scared of the operation thats coming

Unread 04-19-2003, 10:57 PM
IM scared of the operation thats coming

Hello Hyster Sisters.
My name is kathy and Im 38 and Im gonna have a full hystorectomy in may. I will tell you this Im looking forward to it but at the same time I am scared of the whole thing. many woman in my family say its a good thing becasue i wont have any more problems but I am reading that some woman are losing thier hair from medications taking afterwards. and I hear some woman get hair on thier face. Im also concernd with how long will i be layed up. my doctor is going to keep me in the hospital for a week then he says pleanty of bed rest. how much bed rest. im gonna have a bikini cut becasue ofthree previous surgeys they dont want to cut me the other way again. how big will the scar be. will i still be able to enjoy sex with my husband. will I be able to walk right away there are so much goingthrough my mind and I need help to ease it.
please rsvp asap
thank you for hearing me out
kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2003, 11:12 PM

Hi Kathy

Welcome
Having any type of surgury is a scarry thing you need to get all the information you can so you will know what to expect. There is a lot information at this site read read read. I feel I am prepared for my surgury now and I am not so scared.
s
Unread 04-20-2003, 12:20 AM

Hi {{{{{Kathy}}}}}

I'm SO GLAD you found Hyster Sisters! WELCOME!

I had the same surgery as you. Bikini cut Total Abdominal Hyst (my scar is about 8 inches long and I REALLY have to look for it to see it now). I am almost one year post op right now and I must say it's the BEST thing I ever did!

When you are reading all of the different posts here from the other sisters, always remember: EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. Some have had complications, some (like me) went through recovery and beyond very well!

As for sex after a hyst, *my* experience is that it is BETTER than it was before ~ no more pain! I find that I am feeling MUCH better and do not have to worry any more about "things" growing in there or the nasty pain.

having my Hyst was the best thing I ever did. I am free of all of those terribly difficult problems that didn't make me feel like "me" anymore.

As for being laid up, well... the doctor must have told you by now that it is a 6 - 8 week recovery time. There is a VERY good reason for that, although you MIGHT think it's scary to be "ill" for that long. You're not, really. You're recovering. A Hyst is a major surgery and you will have lots of internal stitches that take that long to heal. You will start feeling better before the 6 - 8 weeks, but inside, it still needs time.

After your Hyst, you are NOT allowed to lift anything (laundry, making beds and strenuous activities), push or pull (that means vacuuming and shopping carts) or stretch and sometimes bending hurts for a while. You are encouraged to take LOTS of little walks around in your home to keep things moving. Drink lots of water and get plenty of rest. YOU are going to need some TLC and pampering for a while so make sure you have someone to look after you and do the chores.

What you will find, more than anything, is that the waiting is the hardest thing you'll have to do. Try really hard not to let your mind wander into that nasty "what if" place. Try to think positive and if you start getting negative mind chatter, imagine a BIG RED "X" going through it and think ONLY about waking up in recovery and it being all over! Picture yourself there and everything going PERFECTLY. Smile.

Don't worry, sweetie. You're going to be just fine. Try the chat room during its hours of operation too! There are lots of loving, caring ladies there who will hold you hand and answer your questions in real-time. We're also good for a LOT of S and support!

Take good care Kathy. Keep really busy and get your "nest" ready for when you come home.

Love,
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2003, 07:46 AM
I feel the same way

Hi Kathy,
my name is Kelly, and I will be having a TAH on 4-28. I also am very scared. I had surgery in September for a pinched nerve in my neck, and it was the most horific thing I had ever been thru, so I am very nervous to go thru this. Also my husband is not the best nurse and prefers to hang out at the club with the guys watching sports, so I will be alone with my 8 year old when I get home from the hospital. My mom only lives about 2 mins. away but I will still feel alone. Trying to get her ready for school, making lunches etc.. makes me scared,considering reading all the stuff on here, because I problably wont be able to do anything. Everyone says we will feel better.... but I couldnt feel more alone now, seeing as though we are a few weeks apart pls dont hesitate to contact me and I will let you know how I feel, I will probably be spending lots of time in my room thank god my computer is in here. Anything I can help you with let me know.
Have a good Easter!
bYE, Kelly
Unread 04-21-2003, 02:06 PM

Hi there, It's alright to be scared. Remember when you read posts on this site that these are women looking for support. The women who no longer need support are hardly here anymore. I've been lurkiing here for 4 months and hardly see the names of the ladies who went to the castle around the time I did. They are healed and living their new lives and not looking back. I had a TAH, kept my ovaries, no cervix. Sex is fantastic as always. Sometimes my big O's seem more intense than before. Sometimes they seem different, but not in a bad way. I can achieve them externally (clitoris) as well as internally(good ol' g-spot).
As far as being laid up, you will need to take it easy for 6 weeks. I did nothing for 2 weeks post, then on my DR's approval started gradually getting back into taking care of the family. Couldn't drive for 3 weeks, but major running around and shopping puts alot of right back down on the couch in pain. I didn't overdo at any time during my recovery. I was back to work at 6 weeks and exercising again. As always, gradually getting back into the swing of things was the way to go.
I have not noticed any new facial hair. I did get a higher appetite for sex though since my surgery. Now there's a nice perk!!! Good luck with your decision.
By the way I have no issues other than swelly belly anymore. I just like to encourage that things turn out for the better for many, many of us
Unread 04-21-2003, 11:07 PM

I too was terribly afraid when I found out I needed surgery. This site is a Godsend. Just read the information and bask in the support and love the sisters give so freely. I'm still nervous, but hearing from so many sisters who have been there has reassured me. Every question I've ever posted has been taken seriously, and been replied to kindly. Don't hesitate to ask questions or just ask for support. We are here for you!
Unread 04-22-2003, 05:15 AM

Quote:
but I am reading that some woman are losing thier hair from medications taking afterwards. and I hear some woman get hair on thier face
Hormones can be a complex issue for some ladies, but not all. Some find that what their DR puts them on works great from day one, others need to tweak it a little bit. It's really easy to blame everything on a hyst or HRT, and not looking at other factors that could have caused certain problems.

A lot of ladies may be anemic before their surgeries. This is a big cause of hair loss. If you're not healthy your hair isn't going to be. They could have been taking different meds or having other treatments for their symptoms. Immediately post op there is the effects from the anesthesia and pain meds, they can also contribute to some hair loss. Also, hair is cyclical - there have been times throughout my entire life when I've thought I've been shedding a lot and must be going bald. It takes a while to regain your health, to get over the problems that sent you to the DR in the first place. You really need to give yourself a good number of months to feel like your old, pre not feeling good self.

I'm 15 months post op and taking ERT. I have a full, thick head of hair (on TOP of my head) and no abnormal facial hair. I am a lot more active than I have been for years, and I feel really good.
Unread 04-22-2003, 09:32 AM

Hi kathy
I am still scared, but this site really has helped to answer my questions, and to prepare me to ask the right questions, when I go to the DR as well.
My date is May 9th and my pre-op is May 7th. We are the same age.
Anytime you want to, feel free to PM me. Maybe we can support each other?
Sheila

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register