5 weekers -checkin' in... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weekers -checkin' in... 5 weekers -checkin' in...

Unread 01-14-2005, 08:35 AM
5 weekers -checkin' in...

Hello ladies!!!!!

It's cold here!-minus 15 this a.m.-kids were disappointed that school was not called off...... (not me-they are off next Mon.)

I'm just checking in. 5 weeks post-op, today. Where does the time go?

Just letting you know that yesterday was the FIRST day since surgery that I actually felt an assemblance of "normal"--or pre-surgery.
Hardly any pain, aches, twinges, etc.
I do have to say that this a.m. my bottom is reminding me of the massive repairs that were done, but it's just a subtle reminder that I am still recovering.

I hope that others are feeling well, keeping warm/dry.

I am going in for a post-op on Monday w/1 doc, and will see the other on the 25th.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone here, because we know what to expect, how to handle the hurdles, get to vent/share and offer/receive SUPPORT!!!!!

Take care,

Marcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2005, 10:09 AM
5 weeks!

Hi Marcia, I was hoping to see posts from some other 5 weekers today. I read all the posts done by 6 weekers yesterday and they gave me great hope for the next week. I do feel so much better in the last couple of days, biggest problems: swelly belly and low energy. My check up is next Thursday and my boss is hoping I'll walk out of Drs office and come straight back to work, no joke! Your right the time has slipped right by these last three weeks (can't day that about the first 2 , Spent a bit of time wishing those would go by quicker!) I thought I would get more done around here while I was off! Anyone at 5 weeks after tah doing any exercise other than walking? Its 7 degrees here, I live 25 milles from a town and hate to drive there to find a warm place to walk. I have a recumbant( stationery) bike, but have been hesitant to try using it. I'm a very fluffy sister so don't want to start my low impact aerobic tapes yet 'cause I'm sure I couldn't take the belly bouncing!! Hope allmy 5 week sisters are doing GREAT. God Bless Ladie D

46 YO Tah on 12/10 kept ovaries/tubes by accident My period would be due tomorrow but no more worries YEAH!
Unread 01-14-2005, 12:50 PM

Hi Guys!

Glad to hear all is well. I still have twangs of pain here and there, mostly where my appendix used to be. I went to my post-op check up yesterday, he had to cauterize my vaginal incision to help it heal along, that was a little disappointing ( because now I'm back to spotting and wearing a pad (I really was hoping I was done with that forever!) and we need to wait one more week for sex now. I have been having an ache on my left side so I need to have an altrasound next week to make sure my kidney is functioning ok and wasn't damaged when he did my TAH, I was soo depressed when I came home yesterday I couldn't even think straight. He really thinks there is nothing wrong with the kidney but wants to play it safe. He also started me on a low dose of premarin to hopefully help with my hotflashes and mood swings. Other than that my check up went well and he thought everything looked great and released me to do all (to the best of my ability without hurting myself) except for the sex thing. I feel a lot more positive today (maybe it's the premarin?), at any rate I'm sure the ultrasound will be no big deal and I'll be just fine, I made it this far right?
Hope your check ups go great! Three cheers for making it this far ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2005, 01:17 PM

I am right there with all of you ladies! This 5th week has been much better than weeks 3 and 4 but the recovery process is still slower than I thought it would be. May return to work after 8 weeks. Anyone else return to work yet?

Swelly belly is my biggest gripe. Sitting at the computer makes it much worse (even the big mens pjs bother me) but I guess you can say that's a part of getting prepared to return to work! Besides, I love this site...it has been so helpful before and after the TAH/LSO.

I do walk but I haven't been doing any other form of exercise...afraid to. Will wait until I see the doctor next Wednesday to hear how things are healing inside. I pretty much have had discharge since week two so I will ask him about that, too. No itching, burning, etc. Once had some light pink spotting after bending abit during week 2 or 3. None since.

Otherwise, all is going well and I look forward to a day when I don't think about my belly and actually get some stuff done!!

Here's to us and our recovery!!!
Unread 01-14-2005, 01:48 PM

This week as been good for me, my first full week back at work. I have done ok, but get tired in the afternoon and could sure use a nap. I am definately looking forward to having the 3 day weekend. I still get some swelly belly, mainly in the evenings, I think it is from sitting at my desk all day. I try to get up and walk around the office on a regular basis. I wore panty hose one day and have avoided them since, was pretty sore for a couple of days afterwards. I am taking ibuprofen every now and then, I feel a little bruised. I was cleared for sex at 4 weeks, it has been good, but my abdomen gets really sore for a couple of days afterwards. I had TVH/BSO, Dec 7th, found adenomyosis. I have felt better than I expected I would the entire time. But then, I was afraid of the worst, so that has helped.
Unread 01-14-2005, 02:00 PM

Hi Chrisgift!

I have not been walking either, last week we go 15 inches of snow and this week an inch of rain and it's a high of 1 degree today and a windchill of 25 below, just a little cold and icy. Wishing now that I had a treadmill. I started back to work this week, I do daycare and took all my kids back this week except one really heavy toddler. Things are going well and I am very tired at the end of the day.
I totally relate to the swelly belly, sometimes I feel like I'm ready to deliver or something. I miss my jeans and I am getting tired of elastic stretchy pants, pj bottoms and sweats (I never thought that could happen).
Keep an eye on your discharge but it is probably just from your stitches dissovling. It is definately reassuring once the doctor checks you, it's like you just need to know wether it is healing or not. Good Luck at yours!

Peosta
Unread 01-14-2005, 05:25 PM

Hi fellow 5 weekers! Just had to jump in and let you know that I am doing ok too. Well, ok despite the sleeping issue. I went to the Dr. today (my family dr). He asked me how I was doing, and I said not sleeping. I was expecting him to say that it was par for the course (he never gives out perscriptions unless you really need them), however he said I better give you something to help you. I was shocked, I was not expecting that. So I got it filled. He thinks that everything that our bodies have gone through puts you right out of whack. So maybe I will sleep tonite. He also said not to fell guilty about taking them. Well, I thought I guess this really is something. I go back to work on the 26th. I was sooo tired after being out today for 5 hours. Work idea scares me. I am going to see if I can do part days at first. What good will I be if I am asleep at my desk! Glad to hear form you all. It is true, it does get better each day. Take care!
Unread 01-14-2005, 06:12 PM

OK, sorry I just had to add this to my post. I just spoke with work. They thought that I was going to be off for 6 months! Yeah! Well, the insurance company would soon advise them that was not the case. At any rate they were very happy to hear that it was going to be much sooner than that! Wow, not sure I could stay at home doing nothing for 6 months! Anyway, they assured me that a gradual return is ok as long as the doctor is fine with it. It was nice to hear that from them.
Unread 01-14-2005, 06:33 PM

Me too, on the swelly belly. About a week ago, I had NO swelly belly, and it looked so much smaller. I just don't understand the real deal of this syndrome.

I can't sleep either, and end up napping, which the cat loves. She likes to nap with me.

I never used to have to get up and P at night, but since the surg., I'm up about every 3 or 4 hours, and seem to go like that all day. No infection, bladder is in the right place. Maybe it's bec. the diseased uterus is not pressing on the bladder anymore.

And, Oh, boy, do I still have that. Maybe it's the same thing. Now, it can get out. I never used to be like that.

All little things aside, I feel great. Belly still tender, sore. I tried to vacuum, and it got really sore. The vac is lightweight, and easy to do, so I don't know why. I didn't lean over.

I'm just whiling the time away, waiting to see the radiation onc. And, then I have to have knee surgery after all that.

It got SO cold today! It was 70 yesterday, now it's in the 30's. I love cold weather.
Unread 01-15-2005, 12:28 PM

Hello Peosta and other five-week princesses!

Sounds like we are all pretty much in the same place...

Peosta, I can not imagine a high of 1 degree. Burr! Since living in Southern California my blood has thinned--and the gushing each month did not help. Glad that is done!) Thanks for your concern about the discharge. Anxious to see the Doc next week with questions and curiosity.

It's a New Year - may be all be happy, healthy and without swelly belly, eventually!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register