Recovery time for TVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery time for TVH? Recovery time for TVH?

Unread 06-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Recovery time for TVH?

Ok ladies...I am getting my ducks in a row and getting ready for surgery on Friday. I am the first one of they day, WHEW!

I am feeling a little better having read posts saying that some docs don't require the bowel prep...I was beginning to think I was out of the loop. I do NOT want to postpone this!!! Too much to do this summer!!!

My major concern is recovery. I am having a TVH and there was no mention of laparoscopy assisted, so I'm not sure...I thought they were all LA. ??? But I am worrying that I have underestimated my recovery time and schedule. I have had numerous laparoscopies/hysteroscopies over the years, and had a c-section almost 5 years ago. After my section I was walking at least a quarter mile to and then from the NICU five days afterward. Yeah I was tired but I had a baby to go visit, KWIM? So I have figured I would be up and about by early next week (My hyster is Friday.)

Any advice from the TVH crowd? My doc said I could go home Sunday, maybe Saturday if all was really good. I want to go to a PTO planning meeting on Wednesday...but I am getting nervous that I won't be able to.

Thanks in advance for any input!!!

Hugs,

Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Recovery time for TVH?

Hi Kay,
I had a TVH also and kept my ovaries and I got out the next day. I felt really good after the first week. I was just tired alot at first but I could drive by the second week which made it nice to get out and about. The gas was the only thing that was really any problem and I found that warm tea or peppermint tea helps alot. I hope this helps and if you have any questions <Please support on the boards as per the site TOS> and I can answer them the best I can. Or you can ask on here and I will respond as well.
Take care and have a nice evening.
Kim
Unread 06-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Recovery time for TVH?

I'm 11 days post op from my TVH (no lap. involved) and recovery for me has been a lot easier than I expected. My surgery was on Fri. afternoon and I was discharged at 9 am Sat. I'm no longer in any pain but do find that by the end of the day I am very achey, nothing an Ibuprofen won't take care of though. My biggest issue is being tired. I am no longer napping during the day but do lay down and just rest. I have ventured out of the house for a few very short trips, 30-60 minutes and find that is almost too much. By the time I get home, I'm very ready to crash on the couch and relax.

Just listen to your body and don't fight it. When you feel tired....sleep or rest.

I wish you the best for your surgery and a speedy recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Kay,

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytoes
Ok ladies...I am getting my ducks in a row and getting ready for surgery on Friday. I am the first one of they day, WHEW!

I am feeling a little better having read posts saying that some docs don't require the bowel prep...I was beginning to think I was out of the loop. I do NOT want to postpone this!!! Too much to do this summer!!!

My major concern is recovery. I am having a TVH and there was no mention of laparoscopy assisted, so I'm not sure...I thought they were all LA. ??? But I am worrying that I have underestimated my recovery time and schedule. I have had numerous laparoscopies/hysteroscopies over the years, and had a c-section almost 5 years ago. After my section I was walking at least a quarter mile to and then from the NICU five days afterward. Yeah I was tired but I had a baby to go visit, KWIM? So I have figured I would be up and about by early next week (My hyster is Friday.)

Any advice from the TVH crowd? My doc said I could go home Sunday, maybe Saturday if all was really good. I want to go to a PTO planning meeting on Wednesday...but I am getting nervous that I won't be able to.

Thanks in advance for any input!!!

Hugs,

Kay
To Hystersisters!! I am 40 years old, and I had a TLAVH/BSO on May 3rd. I am at a few days over 4 weeks post op, and I will write to you my experience in hopes that it may shed some light for your journey to come:

My husband and I were never able to conceive, and I had been diagnosed with endo, adeno, and fibroids, so with my DR's guidance and a few years research, I decided this type of hysterectomy was best for me.

I had the surgery, and my recovery has been well. I did have pain from the point of being woke up from anesthesia to getting into my "castle" room, and was eventually (after many attempts w/other pain relievers) was put on a demoral (excuse my spelling, please) and something else pain reliever), drip. I did have severe low back and pelvic pain for several hours immediate post-op until the pain relievers had set in ( I had developed a high tolerance to pain meds due to many years of taking them for endo.) But, soon, after being discharged with in less than 24 hours, I was home and managing my pain well.

I did not do what a lot of our sisters do and take a 6 week leave from work ( A MAJOR MISTAKE FOR ME!!) I have a desk job, and felt quilty about my co-workers taking up my slack and felt the need to return in 2 weeks. This is something that I shouldn't have done. I spent these weekends resting and physically drained, back aches from where my DR re-attached ligaments to support my pelvic floor, and work aggravated my healing. I have learned that our bodies can use lots and lots of energy just healing. And although we may look healed on the outside (as the little tiny laparascopic wholes heal, we may have a multitude of stitches on the inside that are vulnerable to movement, bending, stooping, reaching, stretching, simply not resting enough and are susceptible of not being giving the proper opportunity of time to heal.

So, my lesson is this, allow yourself proper time to heal. You get this surgery once, you get the chance to heal properly from this perhaps just once. Take it seriously.

Not only are you healing physically, but emotional healing may be involved. For me, it definently still is, as I do not have my ovaries and am adjusting to natural hormone replacement. So, I have been healing in both areas and it can take a lot out of you if you are not prepared.

Please remember to pamper yourself after your surgery and even some before it to help you mentally and physically get prepared. I had to give myself permission to allow my house work "to go" for a bit and to stop worrying about getting to the gym for that work out and so on.

Your health is the biggest priority and this is major surgery, even though it may be a vaginal hysterectomy. If you are not sure of your DR's technique, maybe just give your DR's office a call and ask about it so you will know.

As of today, I am feeling great. I am walking 2 miles a day about 3 times a week, work is going great, not having any pain (very fortunate for me, as I could have jeapordized this with returning as soon as I did, mind you.) I have not started lifting weights at the gym as I will wait until my 6 week check up. I am doing house work as I feel my body allows. Listening to your body and pain signals are so important, too! All is pretty good physically. I am still dealing with hormones, though, but I think I am doing pretty good, there too.

I will be praying for you to have a healthy recovery that is peaceful and blessed.
Unread 06-06-2007, 05:36 AM
Recovery time for TVH?

Thanks Ladies.

I am less freaked out...heck it is what it is, right? Poohtie, you're right...this is a once-in-a-lifetime surgery and recovery. I never thought of it that way. It needs to be done right. Thanks.

Hugs,

Kay
Unread 06-06-2007, 05:39 AM
Recovery time for TVH?

Hi Happytoes, I had a TAH, but I wanted to share with you that I was at my kids' school 5 days after for a music concert. It was about 1 1/2 hours long. I would think you could make the PTO meeting, just take it slow and rest the remainder of the day.
Unread 06-06-2007, 05:51 AM
Recovery time for TVH?

happytoes
Best of luck of Fri. I will be having a TVH on Mon (that's the plan) and my doc said that I will be staying at the castle for 23 . I'm scared and anxious myself and also a little down in the dumps b/c it's summer but the way I see it, I will be getting my life back. If I have to take it easy for a few weeks it will be worth it to not have to miss out on anymore time w/ my family due to the plague Eve cursed us with...LOL

Your in my thoughts and
Unread 06-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Recovery time for TVH?

hi all, i just posted on another thread regarding thinking i can be up and about right after my tvh. my son's graduation is the 16th. my hubby is the one who keeps reminding me that i may not be able to do it all right after surgery. we'll see. good luck to you kay!! you too clover... you're going in the day before me! keep in touch y'all. :-)
Unread 06-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Recovery time for TVH?

Oh wow graduation? I'd just play that by ear & see how you feel. If your not up to it have someone video it.

Good luck to all & keep in touch

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register