weight gain after hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

weight gain after hysterectomy? weight gain after hysterectomy?

Unread 04-06-2005, 08:34 PM
weight gain after hysterectomy?

I am due to have a hysterectomy on April 26th. Can anyone tell me if they experienced weight gain and maybe share their experience? I have to have a total and am terrified of gaining weight so I welcome any suggestions or advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2005, 08:52 PM

Hi,

I'm a firm believer that you are what you eat. I've gained 3 pounds since my surgery and I know for a fact that I gained because I did very little for the first 12 weeks of recovery. I also consumed my husband's deep fat fried biscuits..he was trying to help by cooking for me.

There will be many who say they've gained weight...but consider that they are not working and not doing much at all. Consider that they are home with the refer allllll ddayyyy.

Just put into place some common sense plans. Good healthy food only in the house, three SMALL balanced meals a day, up and walk every hour, lots of water,etc.

I would not even for a moment.... consider not have a surgery, just for the reason of gaining weight. You can have the surgery and gain your life. When we die, we can be real thin.

Maralyn
Unread 04-06-2005, 09:07 PM

I haven't gained any weight but I have gained inches in the stomach - something I was not prepared for at all and wish I would have known in advance (I didn't find this place until after surgery). It wouldn't have changed my thoughts on having the surgery - I just don't think I would have been so depressed. Course, others don't have it (the swelly belly) or it goes away sooner. I'm guessing at almost 4 months out - I'll be one that has it for six months to a year. But I guess that is nothing compared to having my uterus fall out - that would have been a lot harder for me to deal with (the trauma!!!). I figured I would be walking at 4 weeks and that didn't happen either - I just started exercising about two months ago - first started with the treadmill, then adding a half hour aerobics and now I'm up to doing aerobics and weight training which I'm starting from scratch with again too (lifting way lighter weights).

Everyone is SO different. At first, food didn't sound good at all so I didn't eat very much. I think of you eat healthy, you won't have to worry. But again, everyone is different. I wouldn't worry about it - I know, easier said then done.

Good luck! Rachelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2005, 01:07 PM

I have to agree with Maralyn.
The more you eat and the less active you are you will tend to gain. The examples that Maralyn gave are great. The three small balanced meals a day, but then throw in a couple of healthy snacks in between. Yogurt, fruit anything healthy and you will be fine along with some movement. Walking really helps, even if it is around the house.

I was also terrifed of gaining weight. I'm only 5'0 feet tall and have a hard time finding clothes that fit that I like anyway. So, I made it a point not to gain weight. I joined Ladies Workout Express (like Curves) right next to my job before I had my surgery (they put my membership on hold until I was ready). When I come to work I see the place, when I leave work I see the place and when I think of going out to lunch and eating junk or spending money I see the place. So, I workout at lunch and eat salad after.

It is all in what you decide to do for your body. It is up to you to control the weight gain.

Good luck with your surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register