Coming down with possible head cold? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Coming down with possible head cold? Coming down with possible head cold?

Unread 12-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Coming down with possible head cold?

Hi everyone,
I'm one day before my DaVinci hyterectomy and I feel like I'm coming down with a head cold! I had a tooth pulled last week, and I think that somehow I ended up with swollen sinuses and a little tickle in my throat. The tooth isn't completely healed yet either as the forcep slipped and cut my gum up to my cheek. Will they still do surgery with these conditions? Please help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Re: Coming down with possible head cold?

I understand your worrying about this. I'm also afraid of catching a cold. There's another thread on this forum where a few of us are concerned about it.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=465071

It would be such an emotional roller coaster when you're all ready for this, and then at the last minute you find out it will have to be postponed.

I think it's going to depend on the surgeon and anesthetist involved. They want to be able to provide you with a good airway during the surgery and they want your recovery to go smoothly. Before my hysteroscopy in October, I had symptoms of a head cold and was actually running a low grade fever the day before. I phoned the pre-op clinic nurse and since my symptoms were fairly mild, she advised me to come in anyway unless I was feeling "completely wretched" and they would assess it there. I was also told by a now retired nurse that you would have to have a pretty bad cold before they would postpone the surgery. The morning of the procedure, I was fine, so I was glad I didn't cancel.

I would say tell the staff what's going on when you get there and let them decide. They'll do what's best for you.

Good luck!
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:53 PM

Thank you SO much! I went to the doc today and she thinks the sinus prob is from a tooth extraction that is still sore and irritated..they will give me antibiotics intraveneously and she said it will be fine! Still SO nervous though! I need to sleep! I have 8 hours til surgery and am not tired at all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2011, 05:21 AM

I'm glad to hear about your doctor appointment. My husband, too, figured mild cold symptoms like sinus congestion shouldn't be a problem (I mean, as long as you're not coughing and sneezing). He said they're just symptoms and there's medication for that. OR time is pretty precious, too, at least here in Canada, with long waiting lists. I don't think they take cancelling a booked surgery lightly.

I hear ya on the sleep thing! I don't expect to sleep well tonight, but I thought I would be OK last night. I wasn't. I was awake every hour between dreaming (and in one of those dreams, I phoned in to get my surgery time and was told they had cancelled it but forgot to tell me, and they had rescheduled it for January 12, when I'll actually be away. Glad it was just a dream!) I finally gave up trying to sleep at 5:55 a.m., since the time interval between 5:45 and 5:49 felt like an hour.

Good luck, see you in post-op!
Unread 12-15-2011, 05:43 AM

Good luck to you too! See ya there!
Unread 12-15-2011, 08:32 PM

Here I am! Post Op and kinda sore--why is my pee blue2
Unread 12-15-2011, 08:59 PM

Hi! Good to see you back. (I have no idea about the blue thing, must be something they gave you.)

I'm off to you-know-where tomorrow...back in a few days.
Unread 12-15-2011, 09:21 PM

Blue pee is okay. I had it too... they do it on purpose to check for some kind of leaking? The nurse was happy with my blue pee so I was too. Hope you feel good soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register