Down in the dumps (updated) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Down in the dumps (updated) Down in the dumps (updated)

Unread 07-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Down in the dumps (updated)

Two weeks post op today. I just read about the weekly checkpoints and realized that I haven't done one thing right although, I have done every DON'T. Now experiencing night sweats, hot flashes, very emotional, insomnia, irritability and more...my doctor has not started me on any estrogen therapy yet. My question is..... Is it to late to start doing things right and/or could I have caused damage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Re: Down in the dumps

Hi, I'm also 2 wks post op. I think it is never to late to do the right things to take care of yourself. I've had similar symptoms and I reassure myself its temporary.
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:01 AM

It's not too late to start doing things "right," and you haven't necessarily done damage. You should call your doc to let him/her know what you've been doing in case the doc wants to check for anything you might have done that would cause harm. As for the symptoms you describe, they all sound like surgical menopause. You could talk to your doc about starting HRT. I started using an estrogen patch at 10 days, and it really helped a lot. I have my that all is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2013, 05:59 AM

Hi I agree with Elsie talk to your Dr about the hormones I started mine around 10 days after surgery too and it has helped I really felt like I was loosing my mind. I wouldn't say I'm a picture of mental health yet but I can make it through a day without crying now
Unread 07-05-2013, 02:38 PM

Thank you Ladies...much appreciated!! I called my doctor today and I will be starting the patch.
Unread 07-05-2013, 04:35 PM

Hang in there!! I am day 3 and I am sure I will be in the same boat!
Take care
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:25 PM

Thank you Bazzy72...and do take care...don't over due it like I did. I have had a pain shooting up my right side for 3 days now and don't see my doctor until next week. I did start using a support around my abdominal area today to help relieve some pain and it seems to provide some relief.

As for the patch I am starting Vivelle...is anyone using this patch? I am nervous because I didn't like what I read about it. I guess my biggest concern and this may sound silly is weight gain...I lost 125 pounds and I don't want to gain it back. If anyone is using that patch can you please let me know what you think of it. Thank you!!
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:46 PM

I use the Vivelle dot, and I love it. All of the estrogen patches have pretty much the same warnings. I tried the Climara patch, and I couldn't get it to stick for a whole week. I also tried minivelle but it didn't stick as well and didn't seem to relieve my symptoms as well. It did take about 5 weeks to feel the full benefits of the Vivelle. There are many members here who use Vivelle. Of course if it doesn't work for you, there are lots of other options ... But they all have the same general warnings. Just remember that going without estrogen replacement can be dangerous too, especially for the heart and bones. Keep reading and researching!

Oh, I lost 22 pounds while on Vivelle. I just had to eat healthy and exercise
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:55 PM

Thanks Elsie 1122 I am going to give it a try and plan on starting it tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed!!
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:12 AM
down in the dumps

Today is 3 weeks since my surgery and I have been on the patch for 1 week. I don't seem to have much energy but if I do it is usually in the mid morning hours but by late afternoon I am completely exhausted. Also...every afternoon I have an emotional breakdown...usually trigger by a song on the radio or something silly and it is quite embarrassing. I do have a lot going on and one of the biggest challenges is that my only child will be leaving for college next month..I am afraid to be alone. I am still at my parents since I had my surgery 3 weeks ago...and I am wondering when I should return home. I enjoy being here because there is always someone around...my fear of being alone is preventing me from going home. I am afraid I will become more emotional and not be able to handle things. Overall I seem to be doing ok.. besides some discomfort such as; back pain, emotional, lack of energy, still some soreness around my lower abdomen by incision, not sleeping well but overall I think I am doing ok...I even started walking. I will see my doctor on July 16th...and go from there. Anyway...what should I do? I know this is all part of the process but when should I return to my own home and what should I do about these afternoon breakdowns? Thank you for all your support!! Sorry...I am still trying to figure out how to use this website...I may be posting in the wrong area. A work in progress....Lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register