How much/far/often are you walking?? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much/far/often are you walking?? How much/far/often are you walking??

Unread 06-18-2007, 09:56 PM
How much/far/often are you walking??

Hi girls! Donna, my son has been bugging me about when I can ride my bike again. He is 26 yrs old but he enjoys riding with me. I just saw my doc today, he was useless. See my post on "post op recoveries". Any hew, he said I could do anything that doesn't hurt. So when my son asked me if the doc said I could ride my bike I told him what he said and that I would give it a shot this weekend and see how it goes. As it is my exam did not hurt but I have had stabbing pains since, so we will just have to see how I feel this weekend. I will let you know the results. I am anxious to feel normal again as well but I know I don't feel that way yet. Even though I have been walking some I just feel like a blob or the pillsbury dough girl or some such squishy thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2007, 12:30 PM

I found myself having to stop several times before finishing my slow pace walk. Usually, I time myself. At the beginning 10 min. then increase to 20 mins. and so on until now that I am 3 weeks Post 0p I could walk for 1 hr. stopping if I feel tired or have mild stabbing/achy pain.
Unread 06-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I was wondering about this too.

I've been walking slowly, and going about a half a mile. I was afraid to do any more even though I felt like I could. I guess I'll go ahead and push a little harder. I had my TAH due to cancer on May 26. I'm a teacher, so I have the whole summer to recuperate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2007, 03:22 PM

Ok, I started this whole thread a couple of days ago and I am so thrilled to get all your feedback.

I went to my doc on weds and she said I need to stand up straight to walk even if it pulls a little, so I did. I didn't waddle, I actually moved my hips when taking the steps. It really pulled on the belly button part of the incision and above it. I was really sore that night but it went away with ibuprofin.

Yesterday I took my car and figured out that I was walking .25 miles pretty much each time I went out walking so I was doing 3 to 5 quarter mile walks a day.

Therefore, I just went out and took a 1 mile walk without stopping. The last tenth of a mile I could feel the stabbing pins and needles in my incision but I am laying down now typing and it is tingly still but it is going away. I am actually feeling like I am finally making progress.

Thanks for the support everyone.

PS: loves2quilt, you better watch out I am catching up to you LOL
Unread 06-21-2007, 03:50 PM

I'm looking over my shoulder, Ann! A-ha! I see you! Get moving, woman -- I wish I had a partner to walk with me!
Unread 06-21-2007, 04:18 PM

Loves2quilt, I wish I could walk with you. I'd love the challenge. I really shouldn't have compared myself to you since I had a TAH and have had a different set of recovery issues.

I used to run a couple of miles 2 or 3 times a week until my abdomen became too sensative with fibroids to take the pounding. I cannot wait until I am healed and strong enough to do that again. Even if I just walk the couple of miles really fast I'd be happy.
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:00 PM

Oh you guys are making me feel so much better. On my discharge papers (I am 6 days post-op) it says to take 3 walks for 15 minutes every day! I thought that sounded like too much and maybe that would be a good goal for 2 or 3 or 4 weeks post-op but this was in the what to do the 1st week page! I feel better now, since I've only been doing 3 walks for 5 min each around the house. Feeling like a total slacker! I'd love to work up to doing a mile or so, but it seems impossible right now!! LOL
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:16 PM

Karen, you've probably got some nice scenery for your walks up in wine country! Take your time and enjoy it. My first week out I only walked around my block twice a day and then worked up to the big walk first thing in the a.m. It was my saving grace to get rid of all that gosh darn gas! I'm six weeks out now but the memories are still very vivid. Believe it or not, the walking was what helped me get back my energy.
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:26 PM

Awesome, thank you! You're right it is beautiful here. I also am hoping to lose some weight this summer so I have even more motivation to get moving, I just need to increase it slowly I think! Question - do you think it's necessary to have a belly band or pillow? I am feeling like I can do without it, and just use my hand when getting in weird positions. I can't see walking outside the house carrying my little pillow is all...
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:57 PM

I can't answer to that since I had the LAVH, but as a veteran of 6 c-sections all with vertical incisions, I never used any support. I did get an abdominal binder with one delivery and I tossed it out when I got home. It sometimes took me a minute or two to get myself out of bed, but that didn't last more than a week or two.

You know yourself best. Listen to your body and ease in and out of positions. Use your arms to pull or push yourself and don't overdo anything. You'll be up and at it again in no time!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register