TAH-Need some help with the gas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH-Need some help with the gas TAH-Need some help with the gas

Unread 02-06-2007, 09:55 PM
TAH-Need some help with the gas

My day to the hospital started off great, just a little waiting to get checked in. The were asking about me at the pre-op area. They did all the usual stuff, IV, like the nurse, she was very quiet while confirming my information. Off to the OR waiting room, still looking for the anes. My dr comes in confirms that he will try and save the ovaries. Anese. comes in tells me that he always orders 3 times the dose for nauea. My kind of guy! He is great with the epidural. That was not painfull this time. I guess it matters that you are not having contractions and have a baby on your lap.

I have a man nurse..kinda weird, but okay. They put on my stockings and and I am off to sleep. 1 1/2 hours I am rolled into recovery..I remember asking twice if I have my ovaries..yes! My breathing was too low, the monitors are going off. Off to my room. I have gas trapped at the top of my clavical. Not fun.

Loved the epidural they decide to leave it in till Friday, along with the cath. I did well that night. The next day they roll me on to my side and lower me and the gas pain I thought would kill me. I could not breathe pain in the lung. Cath comes out can't pee, so the straight cath me 600cc came out. They want me to walk, I can only make it down half way. Finally discharged on Sunday.

19 staples out, fixed my 2 c-sections scars. A very long cervix and at least one fibroid over the entire front of the uterus 2 hanging off the top and side

I am glad it's done. I can't stand the gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2007, 10:27 PM

Just take it easy and don't over do it. I wasn't on the computer for about a week or so after surgery. I didn't do anything but sleep in the recliner.
Unread 02-06-2007, 10:32 PM

Hi TinyGiraffe
I'm glad you're home and off to a good start with your recovery. Walking is one of the best things you can do to get the gas moving. I know it can be miserable. I used GasX and it helped some.

I hope you continue to heal well. Let us know if we can help.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2007, 10:33 PM

Gas X extra strength worked wonders for me and I've heard women who've had some type of hysterectomy mention using it as well.

This may seem like a simple solution. But the way I look at it, anything is worth trying, compared to the alternative of gas pains.

Hope this helps!
Unread 02-06-2007, 10:37 PM

I am actually in my bed/chair. My hubby brought up the laptop. I have taken one shower yesterday...since the 1st. I have made it up and down our stairs at least once a day to make lunch, and just to the bathroom.

I have tried the stool softners and the prune juice, I guess it's the gas moving that is the most painfull part. I have 2 gallon jug of water and most of my supplies up here.

These hurt more than the 19 staples! I am glad that I have the abdominal binder. That has saved me.

Tinyg
Unread 02-06-2007, 11:44 PM

Glad to hear from you Tiny!! You must walk, I know it is asking alot, but it will keep everything moving and help you to not get blood clots,,,you really don't want that!! The gas hangs around with some of us longer then others. I am almost 6 weeks and I still have it, and it still hurts. Hopefully yours will not take this long, I have my fingers crossed for you, toes too!! Welcome back and keep us informed on your recovery.
Unread 02-07-2007, 06:51 AM

Glad to hear you're getting better. I had a lot of bubbling and churning going on inside when I got home. A couple other things that were suggested to me that seemed to help with the gas (beside Gas-X) is Peppermint Tea and laying on your LEFT side when you sleep. The gas wasn't nearly as bad for me as it was for some ladies and I'm hoping it was this advice that made the difference. Plus my doc said he tried to "deflate" me as much as possible in the O.R. when he was done (bless him!).

Take care and keep us posted.
Unread 02-07-2007, 09:08 AM

Gas pains are really a bother for me as well I take stool softners, drink lots of water & cranberry juice. These pains bring me to me knees, I will be so glad when this part is over for me. Partial 1/25/07 I think I will try that peppermint tea. Thanks!!!
Unread 02-07-2007, 09:32 AM

Peppermint tea helped me tremendously. I didn't use Gas-X; however, I had a TVH so my stomach wasn't pumped full of gas either. I did find that walking helped with releasing gas, and once I was off pain pills the bowels started working better. I too have also been drinking a lot of water and cranberry juice.
Happy healing!
Heidi
Unread 02-07-2007, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have more cranberry juice, MOM, stool softeners, I am just taking like half the dose.

I am doing well, I am going up our stairs for exercise. Just taking 2 doses of pain meds today. Even took a shower!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register