Dec 14 Surgery - Recovery Week 1 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dec 14 Surgery - Recovery Week 1 Dec 14 Surgery - Recovery Week 1

Unread 12-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Dec 14 Surgery - Recovery Week 1

I am a very active (golfer and 5K runner) recent 60 yr old female. I separated from my husband of 2 yrs in September and filed for divorce. My doctor recommended a Laparoscopic Sacral Colpopexy aka standard for vaginal vault suspension. The uterus was prolapsed so it was removed along w/my ovaries. The cervix remained and was mesh attached internally. Feeling: Slight apprehension. Pre-op Weight: 149

Day of surgery: Friday, Dec 14: My ride became ill so I hired a driver to get to the hospital and check in. All good. Trusted my doctors and it went well. I was in a shared room with a stroke victim. She was great. They put me on a self-injection device for pain med and management. It was morphine and while I was not in pain, it was a horrible experience. It was too much for me. My doctor visited me in the morning and we took me off the drip and morphine due to the severe nausea it caused me. I vomited horribly. I had 3 hrs of withdrawing from that stuff. Ginger Ale was all I could hold down. I was on liquid diet and moved to extra strength Tylenol. I could feel where I had surgery but could live with the pain. It felt like I just had a baby. Tummy was bloated as it was pumped with air for surgery. Needed to pass this gas - all ways possible. :-) I did my first walk late this night. Walking helps w/breathing (less fluid build up) and deters blood clotting.

Day 1 Recovery (Hospital) Sat, Dec 15:
Stayed on liquid diet and Tylenol. Cath was removed and started measuring urine output. Did well. Started feeling hungry for solid food. I needed to get my bowel movement started. They gave me a stool softener. I chose to stay an extra day due to the issue I had w/the morphine. I walked further on this day. Getting the hang of how my body felt being mobile again w/o my uterus. Feel very optimistic.

Day 2 Recovery (Hospital to Home) Sun, Dec 16:
Added soft solids then solids to breakfast and lunch. I was discharged w/orders. A friend picked me up and we walked in to pick up additional antibiotic prescribed. You get little sleep in a hospital so being in my bed w/o disruption of sleep was so welcomed. I slept longer than normal. I live alone now but was already mobile. I had planned my food for 2 weeks. I took my first shower! Staying on a low carb and high protein diet to use this time to lose weight. Weight: 152 (disappointing gain but lbs added due to water weight from IV drip and what body does to surround incisions, etc.)

Day 3-5 Recovery (Home) Monday, Dec 17 - Dec 21:
Doing light work as I have a home office. Showering nightly. Sitting around and walking as needed. I am definitely on the road to recovery. Booked my follow up w/my doctor for Dec 27, about 2 weeks post surgery. I am very encouraged about my quality of life and prognosis for health. Can't wait to get back to social life and golf. Weight: 149 Day 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Re: Dec 14 Surgery - Recovery Week 1

Sounds like you are doing just fine. Remember to rest when your body tells you to. Happy healing!
Unread 12-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Re: Dec 14 Surgery - Recovery Week 1

Definitely on the mend and listening to my body!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register