Almost 3 weeks post hysterectomy: high blood pressure - anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Almost 3 weeks post hysterectomy: high blood pressure - anyone else? Almost 3 weeks post hysterectomy: high blood pressure - anyone else?

Unread 10-02-2016, 03:17 AM
Almost 3 weeks post hysterectomy: high blood pressure - anyone else?

I am almost three weeks post open abdominal, ovaries remain.

I was on BP meds prior to surgery, well controlled. Told not to take my meds after surgery until I saw my gp 10 days post op, but five days out it was over 150/90. The doc on call had me start back up, upped dose 2x. That did the trick but at the 10 day they found my calcium was elevated so they had to change one med. It was working fine for the first week, now today is is back to the 150/90 mark. I read somewhere that this can happen post hysterectomy because the uterus produces something that helps control BP (progesterone maybe?).

Has anyone else had this happen and if so, how was it resolved? All of my other labs are great, no indication of wonky kidney function, and I'm down 20 lbs since I first saw the gyn in June, about 10 of that (depending on the day) since surgery on 9/12.

No pain meds, just 400mg ibuprofen at bedtime. I know that can increase bp, but it should only be single digits, not 20 pts. The gp told me to keep taking otc meds at bed time until 6 weeks out, he wanted me to take Tylenol which does nothing. Gyn said for post surgical taking Tylenol was worthless and ibuprofen was fine for a few weeks at night.

Frustrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2016, 03:55 PM
Re: Almost 3 weeks post hysterectomy: high blood pressure - anyone else?

Actually after my surgery my BP was extremely high and it was due to the 400 mg IB. I had the same concerns. Also 20 points higher than normal.

I weaned myself off the IB and then my blood pressure returned to its regular (which is still kind of pre-hypertensive) but not as near as high as it was when I was taking the IB 400.

In my 4th week tho, I wasn't taking anything but maybe a Motrin when needed. By then I had stopped on any Rx meds.
Unread 10-02-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kms02 View Post
Actually after my surgery my BP was extremely high and it was due to the 400 mg IB. I had the same concerns. Also 20 points higher than normal.

I weaned myself off the IB and then my blood pressure returned to its regular (which is still kind of pre-hypertensive) but not as near as high as it was when I was taking the IB 400.

In my 4th week tho, I wasn't taking anything but maybe a Motrin when needed. By then I had stopped on any Rx meds.
Thanks so much for your reply. I was going to message my gp tomorrow and he would have likely upped the dose on the Losartan. I am going to just stop the ibu and wach it for a few days. I haven't felt like I needed it anyway, and my gyn had no issues with me not taking anything if I was feeling well. I still don't know why the go insisted I needed pain mess at night. Wish I could just see my gyn for everything. This isn't the first thing they have had differing opinions on. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2016, 09:32 PM

I'm going through that right now. Mine was 185/124 last week and I had to come in immediately to see the nurse practitioner. They put me on temporary Rx and I have an appointment with my doc this week. I don't have yet have a solution to the problem, so I'm just sharing my experience. Good luck.
Unread 10-02-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedaw3 View Post
I'm going through that right now. Mine was 185/124 last week and I had to come in immediately to see the nurse practitioner. They put me on temporary Rx and I have an appointment with my doc this week. I don't have yet have a solution to the problem, so I'm just sharing my experience. Good luck.
Yikes, is the rx helping? I never had hbp until this fibroid and bleeding business started, had hoped it would normalize after it was all removed. Frustrating because it was stellar when I was in last Thursday for my two week check. Good luck, and if you feel like it, would love to know what happens.
Unread 10-02-2016, 10:04 PM

it is definitely helping but I will need either an additional Rx or a different one altogether to get it controlled. I'll post after my appointment on Thursday. My BP has been high in the past but not like this.
Unread 10-02-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedaw3 View Post
it is definitely helping but I will need either an additional Rx or a different one altogether to get it controlled. I'll post after my appointment on Thursday. My BP has been high in the past but not like this.
Looking forward to hearing about it. I'll post on the no ibu comparison. Maybe it will help someone else too. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register