What I learned. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What I learned. What I learned.

Unread 10-13-2004, 05:18 AM
What I learned.

Hello everyone I wanted to share what I have learned from my experience so far in hopes that I might give back a small fraction of the help I have received from all of you.

Eat light the day before your surgery. Your bowels will thank you later WALKING is essential and it the only thing I found to really regulate and get my BM moving. Small meals and small walks go hand in hand. If you have a bit of a ride home from the hospital as I did. It took me an 1 1/2 to get home bring pillows for the car and don't repeat don't stand up quickly when you get home. Stand slowly and wait for assistance to your front door. Supergirl here BP plummeted and I was almost eating driveway.
I was left on my own because DH and DC had to work and go to school so I was making sandwiches and oatmeal for myself when I first got home. I survived and didnt need pain meds long but for a few days. Here is the thing this is an idividual thing. Everyone will react emotionally, physically and every other way differently. Use everything here as a guideline but don't expect to be just like everyone else on every topic. Did I mention walking. Honestly, all kidding aside walking even if only in your house will help your bowels will help build back your strength. You can just do little bits cause it all helps. Keep checking back here and comparing notes and don't be afraid to call your Doc. You are paying them GOOD money and they want to help you through. Drink lots of water. Cry when you feel like it and don't apologize. Did I mention weight loss. Girls I have lost like 15 lbs please tell me this stays off haha. Most of all let your body tell you what it needs. Keep a box of kleenex's near by and stay away from the WE channel for the first week. Good luck everyone and Godspeed in your recovery's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2004, 07:36 AM
What I learned.

Good advice....
One more thing, when you go to sit up, roll to your side 1st. (I made the mistake of pulling myself straight up and pulling a muscle in my back). Also....dangle your legs for a few minutes on the side of the bed before standing. It helps your BP regulate and avoids the dizziness. (I learned that the hard way too!)

Unread 10-13-2004, 10:06 AM
What I learned.

Fantastic advice. I had planned on a pre-op eating festival, and instead I opted for VERY light meals -- one scrambled egg, some mashed potatoes, and a salad, and lots of water. The result was I wasn't queasy, didn't have "the trots" (like I would get if I had indulged my love of Mexican food), and I generally felt much better.

The other thing I would advise would be (and I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it seems like all of us "sin" in this particular area) -- do not, repeat, DO NOT push yourself after surgery. We post-ops all know about this. You wake up feeling relatively good, and figure it's about time to stop acting like a bump on a pickle and do some laundry, or go grocery shopping....then you end up flat on your back for 24 hours, unable to move! I'm 3 weeks out, and yesterday I drove to Target to shop. I must have looked pretty awful, because they actually offered to HELP ME TO THE CAR. Talk about demoralizing.......(and we all thought customer service was a "lost art") Now, I did feel OK, but I was moving pretty darn slow. Let this be a lesson unto you.......

My best to everyone. Let the healing begin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2004, 11:05 AM
What I learned.

That is great advice and thank you.

Why do you suppose the weight loss occured? I would think I'd gain a few from not being active. Is it because the anesthesia creates a loss of appetite? Just curious. (Man, losing 15 pounds would be a great consolation.)

If you kept one or both of your ovaries, did you go into menopause? This is a big issue for me. My DR may take the right one and it worries me. Thanks in advance.
Unread 10-13-2004, 11:21 AM
What I learned.

I've posted this on other threads, but thought this was another good place.

When taking a shower the first few times, use lukewarm water if you're normally a hot-shower taker. The hot water will drop your blood pressure. I learned this the hard way, as others have said, and almost passed out. I went so far as to also keeping the shower door open and had a fan blowing on me for a week or so. It was cold, but at least I didn't get that awful sick clammy feeling.
Unread 10-13-2004, 11:35 AM
weight loss

Hi everybody,

As for the weight loss, well that was probably mostly attributed to the fact I didn't eat for a week after the surgery. No solid food until you pass "gas" and I was very sick. I lost a lot of blood and had to have a transfusion. I was vomiting the first few days due to the anesthetic. WE don't get along so well afterwards but the biggest thing would have to be ...Ok I am gonna admit it...I was a Mountain Dew Junkie. Pop was my vice. I have probably had 3 pops since my surgery and that has been enough for me. I detoxed at the castle haha. Seriously though, I drank 3 or 4 at least a day all those calories stopped tallying up once I quit. I think my metabolism was actually better than I gave it credit for
Unfortunately, I lost all of my bits. We had hoped to keep an ovary but found out I had ENDO and everything was well yuck covered and plastered places it was not suppose to be. So I was thrown straight into meno. No hormones yet cause I am now on Lupron to get rid of the spots that got left. I have no right to complain...some are fighting cancer. I am just fighting my emotions. Goodluck to you...

Shellenay
Unread 10-13-2004, 11:45 AM
What I learned.

Shellenay, I think we're opposites. I was strictly on water or iced tea with sweetener. After surgery all I wanted was Mountain Dew or Sprite!!! And none of that diet stuff either. I wanted the sugary stuff. Needless to say, I gained 5 pounds very quickly! Not exactly the smart thing to do. So I cut back and am now back to water and tea. Hopefully the pounds will start going away soon!
Unread 10-13-2004, 03:51 PM
What I learned.

Hello again everyone,

Becky I swear I have some kind of aversion to sugar now. I just tried some Hagan Daz butter pecan ice cream and wait brace yourself, took 2 bites and said YUCK. I am starting to think I am one of those POD people and I have been switched at the hospital. No worries I am leaving for England on Tuesday and I am pretty sure Cadbury Chocolate will straighten me out haha.

Shellenay
Unread 10-14-2004, 09:01 AM
What I learned.

Wow! England!! Have an awesome trip! And definitely eat some of that chocolate for me while you're there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register