TAH TAH/BSO - 8 weeks out and issues still? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/BSO - 8 weeks out and issues still? TAH/BSO - 8 weeks out and issues still?

Unread 11-02-2011, 10:44 AM
TAH/BSO - 8 weeks out and issues still?

Hi, this is my first real post on here... had a TAH with BSO, after finding out on my annual check-up on 8/9 (that instead of a bladder infection like I thought), I had two cysts (5 cm and 8 cm), that combined into one large tumor in less than a month on my left ovary. Was told by my OBGYN and oncologist, after running many tests, that I needed to have emergency hysterectomy with a month due to cancer risk and fast changes in cysts/tumors (for me, during the beginning of the school year as a teacher - not received well by admin.)

During surgery, found out this large tumor was pre-cancerous and was inbedded in to my bowel (had a hole in my bowel that was sewn, but thankfully wasn't put on a colostamy bag, as they considered) - had my OBGYN, an oncologist and a general surgeon perform my 4 hour surgery (was in the hospital for 4 days).

Was in SEVERE pain after surgery, with a pain drip that did not work at first. So, the grapefruit size tumor was removed with my left ovary and a golfball size one was taken with my right ovary. I also had a lot of stage 4 endometriosis, that was mostly removed, except a small amount that was left where the large tumor entered the bowel (oncologist said that would help with my hormone imbalance, since I can't take any hormones from the pre-cancer?). After surgery, I had a 4 cm abscess (infection) under my vertical surgical incision as well, that I took 3 antibiotics for many weeks to overcome.

Anyway, because everything was removed and was pre-cancerous, the oncologist told my OBGYN to NOT put me on any kind of hormones for at least six months. So, after visiting doctor at 7 weeks and running tests, I have a bladder infection (hurting VERY bad today), am dehydrated, have low iron and vitamin D. Can only take vitamins to handle menopause symptoms of insomnia, night sweats/nightmares, hot flashes, migraines (because I was told that any cancer cells could grow on hormones, so wanted to avoid that).

Not including I'm a middle school math teacher and was being harrassed about when I would be back to work by my principal and Dept. Head, while I'm on FMLA? Had to get my teacher attorney and personal attorney involved to have my school quit calling and sending nasty emails, while they docked my pay almost completely.

Also suffer from depression and anxiety before my hysterectomy, but they have been almost unbearable now - DR doubled my meds, added a mood stabilizer, sleeping aid, etc. to help me deal with hormone issues and more (my DH has been supportive and understanding some days, then freaks out other days because I'm not back at work earning money). So am trying to "rest" and recover to get over all of this, but it hasn't been easy and quite a challenge - just am exhausted most days from dealing with all of this.

Any suggestions or help on the above is appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Re: TAH/BSO - 8 weeks out and issues still?

lagniappe16

I am sorry to read how much you have been going through.

From a cancer perspective you may want to post on our Cancer Concerns forum. You will find many supportive and knowlegeable women there who have and are walking your path now.

As you said many oncologists want to avoid hormones because they can feed cancers. What stage and grade is your cancer? Are either chemo or radiation being recommended?

Your body has been through a lot and you need time to recover. Have you checked into any local cancer support services? It isn't unusual to have anxiety and depression at this time Some anti- depressants can help with menopausal symptoms. You may also want to check out the book 'Sudden Menopause' it is an older book tjat was written by a younger woman who went menopausal due to her cancer treatment and how she handled things. I found it informative.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register