Help..Abdominal surgery sisters..when did you go back to work? Job type? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help..Abdominal surgery sisters..when did you go back to work?  Job type? Help..Abdominal surgery sisters..when did you go back to work? Job type?

Unread 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM
Re: Help..Abdominal surgery sisters..when did you go back to work? Job type?

I had a tah/bso on June 10nth. I am a preschool teacher. I went back to work on July 24rth (6 weeks post op). I went back to work with no restrictions. The first few days were were difficult because my job requires me to be on my feet all day. It also requires a lot of bending and lifting. It has gotten better though. I just listen to my body and take things slow. I also try to find a colleague to help me with the lifting. Good luck to you on your return to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2013, 06:04 PM

I had tah on July 18th not going bak to work until August 19th and then only if I feel good.
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:43 PM

I had my surgery on 7/3 and went back to work full time 7/22...I sit at a desk all day with ample opportunities to get up and walk around as necessary. The first few days were rough! Each day gets a little better, but Im still tired, swollen and a little sore by the end of the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2013, 08:12 PM

I went back to work at 5 weeks and 4 days after SAH and I am a 3rd grade teacher. The next week, we had state tests and I had to stand for 4 straight hours without sitting at all. It wasn't that bad.
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:57 PM

Thanks so much ladies.
Ill try to listen to myself and my doctor with all of this. I knew this would be a issue, but I couldn't have this surgery any sooner in the summer than I did.
I would love to not go back till the 6-8 week mark. 6 weeks could happen, don't know that I can afford 8.
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:31 PM

My abdominal was one week earlier then yours. Pretty straight forward with no complications. My doctor said a big NO to going back before 6 weeks period. I completely understand your worry...I work in an elementary school office and will be missing the beginning two weeks, one without students and the first week of school. But here's the thing, even though you want to get your classroom ready & start with your students, you have nothing without your health. If you go back to soon you will end up taking days out anyways. You might as well do this recovery right and not jepordize any internal healing whatsoever! We have the whole school year to be there. This is our time so relax they will be fine.
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:59 PM

I had a tah and my doc gave me 6 weeks. I didn't feel ready to go back at 6 weeks so I asked for 2 more weeks. My doc said no so I went back to work on week 7. I could only make it half days so I went back to see the doc, he gave me a slip to work half days the first week. I have a desk job and it hurt to sit too long. The act of getting up early and getting ready after so much time off was exhausting, not to mention the drive to work. It was better the next week. Please take the time you need to heal. You will feel much better! Hugs to you!
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:46 AM

I'm 10 days post op with lap and abdominal incisions (we had to convert on the table). I'm healing well and hoping to return to work my 5th week but I have a desk job where I can park my butt and not have to move around much. I don't think we would be even considering this plan if I needed to be on my feet much during the day or need the energy to command a classroom. One thing I've learned with this is dont rush yourself, a few extra weeks in the overall scheme of things is nothing. This is one if those rare times in our lives where it is necessary to put yourself first. IMO I would rather delay return if I have to so I can return fully functioning. My boss has even said and I agree that flying without me a couple extra weeks is worth having me back able to tackle anything. Dont rush your return if you're unsure.
Unread 07-31-2013, 03:17 AM
Help..Abdominal surgery sisters..when did you go back to work? Job type?

Hi ladies, im new here. But im glad I came across this site. Alot of helpful information so far. I too wonder when its safe for me to return to work. Im 2Weeks 2days post op today, but im a hairdresser. So on one hand I am very flexible with my time, understanding all the standing, lifting and bending is not good for me. But on the other hand, I dont receive disability so financially its a struggle. However I got a call from my boss saying the shop will be moving soon, so im taking that as Gods way of telling me to keep my butt home! Lol
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:06 AM

I'm 2 weeks post op today. I had abdominal hyster and kept one ovary. I feel great. Going back to work tomorrow. I'm an elementary principal. I can shut the door and lay down if need be.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register