IUD expelled nightmare | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IUD expelled nightmare IUD expelled nightmare

Unread 03-12-2016, 05:30 PM
IUD expelled nightmare

Just got back from the ER after a huge mess with my iud. My doctor told me I was basically imagining it. Long story...it was partially expelled and poking me with every move I made. The ER doctor removed it finally after 4 hours of messing around .he said it was just laying there in a huge blood clot. Will share more later . Sooo tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2016, 12:05 AM
Re: IUD expelled nightmare

I had a very horrible similar experience. I was diagnosed with very severe anemia in November after a very scary ER visit. I had a Paragard IUD and was happy with it, but it certainly made my already heavy periods even heavier. My doctor insisted on taking it out (I was not happy about it) and wouldn't try Lysteda for the bleeding. She told me I had to get a Mirena (the hormonal IUD) to control the bleeding. Ultrasound showed my uterus was full of blood, but no fibroids or polyps. So off I went, unhappily to the gyno. She put in a Mirena, and at my follow up appointment in January she noticed it was not in the right place. She put in a new one. A week later I started hemmorhaging and having horrible pain and ended up in the ER. The ER doc ordered an ultrasound and sure enough the second Mirena was on its way out. I saw a family planning expert as a follow up, and she put in a Mirena using an ultrasound machine. Two days later, I was back in the ER with the same issue and the Mirena came out again. The hormonal IUDs have been a disaster. I miss my Paragard, but unfortunately the bleeding was killing me (literally). No fibroids so myomectomy isn't an option, ablation probably won't work because its likely adeno, and now I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy (leaving ovaries in) at the end of April.
Unread 03-16-2016, 09:57 PM
IUD expelled nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwosteo View Post
I had a very horrible similar experience. I was diagnosed with very severe anemia in November after a very scary ER visit. I had a Paragard IUD and was happy with it, but it certainly made my already heavy periods even heavier. My doctor insisted on taking it out (I was not happy about it) and wouldn't try Lysteda for the bleeding. She told me I had to get a Mirena (the hormonal IUD) to control the bleeding. Ultrasound showed my uterus was full of blood, but no fibroids or polyps. So off I went, unhappily to the gyno. She put in a Mirena, and at my follow up appointment in January she noticed it was not in the right place. She put in a new one. A week later I started hemmorhaging and having horrible pain and ended up in the ER. The ER doc ordered an ultrasound and sure enough the second Mirena was on its way out. I saw a family planning expert as a follow up, and she put in a Mirena using an ultrasound machine. Two days later, I was back in the ER with the same issue and the Mirena came out again. The hormonal IUDs have been a disaster. I miss my Paragard, but unfortunately the bleeding was killing me (literally). No fibroids so myomectomy isn't an option, ablation probably won't work because its likely adeno, and now I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy (leaving ovaries in) at the end of April.
Hi! Thanks for your response. I feel like I'm in a nightmare...I have a question? How long did you continue to bleed after you expelled your IUD ? It has been four days of bleeding. It slows down and then gets heavy again. I have had either spotting or bleeding for 20 days now . Any advice would be very appreciated .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2016, 08:05 AM

I bled for a good week to 10 days after the second one. My period was due but it was just a constant hemorrhage for about a week and probably normal for about 3 days after that. With the last IUD expulsion I spotted for a day after they removed it but nothing after that. My doctor had prescribed me BC pills to take on top of the IUD that time to perhaps help me keep it in. It didn't work, but I didn't bleed either.

In my experience, the Mirena and Skyla are not good for everyone. Some women can't keep them in. My uterus moves around a lot, and that could be why.
Unread 03-19-2016, 10:31 AM

I had my mirena in for only an hour after it was placed until I ended up in the ER hemorrhage.

The second time it was surgically put in and the same thing happened two weeks later.
Unread 03-19-2016, 08:54 PM
IUD expelled nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalflame30 View Post
I had my mirena in for only an hour after it was placed until I ended up in the ER hemorrhage.

The second time it was surgically put in and the same thing happened two weeks later.
That's crazy! I'm sorry you went through that too. What did you end up doing for your issues?
Unread 04-01-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenekm View Post
Just got back from the ER after a huge mess with my iud. My doctor told me I was basically imagining it. Long story...it was partially expelled and poking me with every move I made. The ER doctor removed it finally after 4 hours of messing around .he said it was just laying there in a huge blood clot. Will share more later . Sooo tired.
OMG. That's just the nightmare I was afraid of when my gyne suggested an IUD for me. I'm so sorry to hear that you went through this.

How are you doing? Are you still bleeding?

MJ
Unread 04-01-2016, 06:30 PM

I am so sorry you had an issue with your IUD. I had a great experience with my Mirina IUD until one day my world turned upside down. I was diagnosed with SLE Lupus and had a terrible go of it. I was going through chemo treatments just to shut down my overactive immue system. Needless to say we needed something to control my endo which was going crazy as lupus can effect your hormones and I should not get preg due to the chemo and medications. A mirina was the route we decided to go. It was placed in 2012. Periods stopped almost immediately. However in 2014 I told my GYN that I could no longer find my strings. She did an ultrasound confirmed it was embedded in my uterus but still functional...She told me to keep it until 2016 when it was to reach its 5 year mark. Fast forward to 1 Dec 2015 my DH and I found out we were pregnant. Mind you I still had the IUD inutero!! Talk about crazy emotions. On 3 December I had a complete spontaneous miscarriage. I delivered a 4-5 month pregnancy at home and he was born in the sac. After everything calmed down my GYN sent me for an x-ray/ultrasound/ct to locate the IUD incase I had not passed it. I didn't. It was now partial in and partially out of my uterus. My uterus had been compromised. A total hysterectomy was the next step agreed on by my GYN and myself. Lots of lessons learned during my time with an IUD. It was a blessing and a curse. I share this because what happened to me seemed like stuff you see in a bad movie. It was a wonderful experience that controlled my bleeding, cramping, endo for years until it moved. I can't say that I "don't recommend it" I just say make a super informed decision. I wish you lots of love and healing. Please keep us updated.

Kim
Unread 04-05-2016, 12:20 AM
IUD expelled nightmare

Kim
Thanks for sharing your story. I am so sorry you had to go through all that pain. I honestly do not think I could recommend an IUD to anyone. I've just been hearing more and more horrible stories . The risk seems to out weigh the benefits. I will let you know how I do in the coming months.
Hugs
Lorene
Unread 04-06-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstephens12 View Post
I am so sorry you had an issue with your IUD. I had a great experience with my Mirina IUD until one day my world turned upside down. I was diagnosed with SLE Lupus and had a terrible go of it. I was going through chemo treatments just to shut down my overactive immue system. Needless to say we needed something to control my endo which was going crazy as lupus can effect your hormones and I should not get preg due to the chemo and medications. A mirina was the route we decided to go. It was placed in 2012. Periods stopped almost immediately. However in 2014 I told my GYN that I could no longer find my strings. She did an ultrasound confirmed it was embedded in my uterus but still functional...She told me to keep it until 2016 when it was to reach its 5 year mark. Fast forward to 1 Dec 2015 my DH and I found out we were pregnant. Mind you I still had the IUD inutero!! Talk about crazy emotions. On 3 December I had a complete spontaneous miscarriage. I delivered a 4-5 month pregnancy at home and he was born in the sac. After everything calmed down my GYN sent me for an x-ray/ultrasound/ct to locate the IUD incase I had not passed it. I didn't. It was now partial in and partially out of my uterus. My uterus had been compromised. A total hysterectomy was the next step agreed on by my GYN and myself. Lots of lessons learned during my time with an IUD. It was a blessing and a curse. I share this because what happened to me seemed like stuff you see in a bad movie. It was a wonderful experience that controlled my bleeding, cramping, endo for years until it moved. I can't say that I "don't recommend it" I just say make a super informed decision. I wish you lots of love and healing. Please keep us updated.

Kim
Kim, can you share what your symptoms were, if any-of the IUD dislodging?
I'm so sorry to hear of all your nightmarish troubles. That is so awful and terrible. I would be so upset!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register