A little scared after reading-diabetes question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A little scared after reading-diabetes question A little scared after reading-diabetes question

Unread 07-06-2011, 03:31 AM
A little scared after reading-diabetes question

I typed in diabeties and was led to this board. So, I am wondering if there is any current diabetics out there getting ready for surgery? Mine is scheduled for the 27th of this month. (July) My diabeties has never been under control. It runs very high all the time. And, I can't take the traditional over the counter meds. Scared to take insulin because of shock and etc. Also being a mom of a 14 autistic and a 10 year old daughter.

I saw my doctor about my diabeties and she wouldn't treat it until after the surgery. Then after the surgery was scheduled my reg. doctor moved. So, I don't know who to talk to about this.

Now I am reading things about sugar spikes after surgery, weight gain. (I've never been a very healthy person) And, I'm wondering if I should forge on with this surgery. Anyone with expirence with diabeties with info would be very helpful. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Re: Few more questions - diabetes (kids mentioned)

I have heard that healing completely stops at accucheck of 300 or more. It could also predispose you to something weird like infection or dehisence. Need to keep your numbers near normal range to heal quickly like an undiabetic person. Talk to your dr about that! Uncontrolled is no good if your numbers are high.
Unread 07-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Re: A little scared after reading-diabetes question

I too have diabetes. I am 56, and well controlled. My last A1c was 5.7. Oral pancreatic stimulants only. High blood pressure controlled by medications. Not overweight. Lost 75 lbs four years ago and have kept it off with exercise and life-style changes. (yeah me!)

My surgery is scheduled for July 29. Having an anterior and posterior repair of cystocele (grade 3+) and rectocele, also 3+, removal of large kidney stone embedded in wall of uterus, and suprapubic hysterectomy and keeping my cervix. My Urologist uses a unique technique that is not a sling, but a T-shaped web tied to the ligaments that now support my uterus.

My OBGYN is firmly insisting on taking 'everything' because it 'eliminates the risk of cancer'. (NOT true to my understanding.) It is, however MY body and he will do it my way. Sometimes male doctors don't get things all that well and one can only be more stubborn than they.

Previously has most of both ovaries removed due to massive cysts that ruptured and ruptured appendix at same time some 4 years ago. Horrible experience, five days in hospital and months of pain afterward.

Since I do not react well to general anesthesia am convincing my doctor to do an epidural and leave the block in for 48 hours, or do an ON-Q Pain Buster for pain relief. Percocette, Endocette and such do not work for me, no pain relief and major hallucinations.

My suggestion is to use what ever time you have to reduce your blood sugar levels. Every little bit helps. You ought to be able to consult a dietitian, and have a followup while recovering from your surgery.

If your diabetes are uncontrolled they may choose to put you on injectible insulin during your stay to get as much control as possible. High blood glucose levels, as I am sure you know, hinder the healing process. Good news is that the lower you can get before hand, the better you will heal.

Best I can suggest is to TALK, ask questions and do your best to follow what they suggest. I learned that the only one who can control my diabetes is ME! Food is not a good way to nurture myself, and I am well worth the effort to be healthy.

Had a kidney stone a month back (which is what started this journey), and all the MRI's, CT scans and ultrasounds of my kidney showed NO IMPACT what so ever by my diabetes.

Respectfully
D

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register