Yeast infection anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Yeast infection anyone? Yeast infection anyone?

Unread 09-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Yeast infection anyone?

I know I am probably not the only one to experience a yeast infection post-op, but is there anyone out there who has had this? I had a LSH on 9/24, and my Vulva (sorry TMI!) has been like really swollen and itchy ever since! I called the doc and she said it's probably due to the antibiotics they gave me during surgery. She called me in a script for cream to apply for week.

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue. I am not one to get yeast infections but I also don't take antibiotics that much either.

Thanks for listening!

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Yeast infection anyone?

Hi Cindy Sorry to hear you're experiencing a post op yeast infection. I had a couple of them during my first few months post op. My DR was concerned about the possibility of infection from introducing an applicator vaginally, so rather than having me use the creams she prescribed Diflucan, which is a one-dose pill.

She also encouraged me to eat plenty of unflavored, unsweetened yogurt (the kind that says "with live active cultures" or something to that effect on the container) and take some type of probiotic daily.

Also, once she felt vaginal applicators were safe for me, she prescribed vaginal estrogen, which helps keep the tissues moist, strong and resistant to infection. Since then, no more yeast infections.

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Unread 09-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Yeast infection anyone?

i had chronic yeast infections after my lsh. my dr put me on diflucan for six months. i also had bacterial vaginitis..very similar symtoms to the yeast infection. i used metrogel for that. i got them both cleared up and have been fine since.
my dr also had me use an over the counter product to balance my ph. i cant remember the name of it but its sold where the monostat is.
if you dont feel better by monday, please call your dr and ask for diflucan for the yeast infection. its much easier and works faster than the creams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2007, 08:27 AM
Yeast infection anyone?

hi ladies..thanks for your replies. My doc has me using the cream, but only externally, not in the vagina. I go to see her Mon for a post-op appt, so we'll see how I'm doing then. I guess there could be worse things to have happen in recovery!

Cindy
Unread 09-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Yeast infection anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappycindy
hi ladies..thanks for your replies. My doc has me using the cream, but only externally, not in the vagina. I go to see her Mon for a post-op appt, so we'll see how I'm doing then. I guess there could be worse things to have happen in recovery!

Cindy
thats good youre going on monday. she can check to make sure its definitely yeast and not bacterial. applying cream externally will not cure a yeast infection...so please make sure if you do have one, you leave the office with meds for whatever you have. external creams only try to help with the burning and itching.
Unread 09-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Yeast infection anyone?

This remind me, I should go to my doctor. But yes, I have often experiened yeast infections post anti-biotic. Sometimes even if I touch anti-biotics, or use them externally.

The antibiotics are not really able to distinguish between backteria that is supposed to be in your body, or on it, and that which is not. And believe me, there is a lot of bacteria in a human body. So when you take them, thegood stuff gets killed off, such as the flora in your vagina and on the mucus membraines that your vulva and labia are made of, this can cause the natural checks and balances to become upset, and then we have the irritation and possible candida, (yeast infection) and other types of infection that need careful scrutiny by your doctor, especially as you are post-surgical and complications can still arise. Some people, get systemic versions of this, others get it in their mouths, but a very common location in women, is in their vaginas and external tissues. It can also spread to your anus...

Yougurt is an excellent way of helping your intestinal flora deal with the assault that the antibiotics might have dealt to it, but the benefits of yougurt do not end there, it also helps if you eat it for your vagina and your body as a whole. Just make sure it has live cultures in it, as in, it is actually yougurt, and not some form of pudding, or pasteurised product that is a milk blob...

I do not have an English spell checker available on this machine, so please excuse my mess...
Unread 09-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Yeast infection anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappycindy
I know I am probably not the only one to experience a yeast infection post-op, but is there anyone out there who has had this? I had a LSH on 9/24, and my Vulva (sorry TMI!) has been like really swollen and itchy ever since! I called the doc and she said it's probably due to the antibiotics they gave me during surgery. She called me in a script for cream to apply for week.
I had the exact same problem. I had never had a yeast infection before and didn't know what it was, but the itching down there was driving me nuts! I never noticed any discharge. When I saw my doctor for the 2-week post-op. I mentioned it and she said that was what it was and that it was due to the hospital antibiotics. I got one pill to take and the cream although I haven't really needed the cream much. So happy not to be itching anymore!
Unread 10-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Yeast infection anyone?

I saw my dr today (post op check) and I told him about external itching and burning. He checked my ph level and it's low. He gave me the cream for application internally. He must be pretty happy with his handy work cuz he's letting me place it internally. I'll let you know what happens. I just want to feel better in that region too. Aside from that today is the end of week one and I'm feeling pretty good overall....woohooo!
Unread 10-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Yeast infection anyone?

check with your doctor, but if it is in fact a vaginal yeast infection external cream will not help.

an oral pill called "diflucan" will do the job. it's a one dose pill and the generic is on that $4 prescription list at major pharmacies. i had a vag yeast infection post op and my doc called in the diflucan as i left the hospital. my husband dropped me at home and continued on to target, where he paid $4 for the pill and i took it that night. it took about 24 hours for me to feel 100% better in terms of the yeast/itching (it got a little worse before it got better but i was still on loopy meds like dilaudid so i didn't much care LOL )

i was readmitted to the hosp this saturday and sent home today for a post-op infection and was on IV antibiotics for 48 hours. i've not yet felt the yeasty beasty but am eating "dannon activia" twice per day and that may be all i need to keep it at bay.

i'd suggest diflucan (1 pill) and then regular yogurt with live cultures. dannon's activia has the most cultures and is the easiest to obtain other than health-food-store varieties and is what i recommend to my clients (i'm a doula) who have anbx during labor or surgical births.

good luck!
Unread 10-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Yeast infection anyone?

Hi...I went to the doc today for a post-op check up, and she said that yeast very often comes from the anus, not the vagina, and that being the case, the external cream will work. I do feel an improvement after using the cream for 3 nights, and she said it will take the full 7 nights of treatment for it to resolve. If not, she will then try something else. I trust her 100% as she has not steered me wrong before. I do appreciate everyone's feedback...it helps to know I'm not the only one who's gone thru this!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register