Question about General Anesthesia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about General Anesthesia Question about General Anesthesia

Unread 05-14-2003, 12:36 PM
Question about General Anesthesia

Does anyone know what they use to put you out with? My mother said Sodium Pentothal is the normal thing. I am worried about this because I do not want to wake up spilling my guts and telling everything I know to everyone around me. Im a very private person and I'd prefer to remain that way.

Im going to be sure to ask my doc, but I always like to know the opinion and experience here at hystersisters

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2003, 01:03 PM

There are numerous newer drugs that can be used in general anesthesia- I don't know how often sodium pentathol is used today. I would ask the anesthesiologist at your pre-op appointment- the gynecologist may or may not know.
Unread 05-14-2003, 01:29 PM

General anesthesia is complex. It is not just one component. Sodium Pentithol is not what is used for surgery of this nature. There will be an element that temporarily paralzyses you, an element to "numb" the pain, and element to keep you asleep, etc. That's why anesthesiology is such a difficult specialty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2003, 02:32 PM

There needs to be something to 'pug you out' in addition to the other drugs already mentioned. Sodium Pent used to be one of the common drugs for this use. I don't know what's most common now, but I know that Propofol was used in my case.
Unread 05-14-2003, 02:40 PM
don't worry...

The general anesthesia is what scared me the most BEFORE surgery...turns out it was awesome...don't worry, you won't spill your guts!

The only thing I did (or so they told me later) was ask the recovery nurse about 100 times if I still had my ovaries! I don't even remember asking that, and the poor thing didn't know anyway, as she was just in the recovery room and didn't assist with the surgery.

Besides, they also give you a drug that makes you forget everything afterwards....to be honest I don't remember much about that first day at all (and part of the 2nd day)...and my surg. was at 10 am!

Good luck.
Unread 05-14-2003, 02:55 PM

I was also very worried about general anesthesia. I had also heard the stories about people saying all kinds of things when coming out of the anesthesia, but I don't remember saying anything at all. I remember very little until I was back in my room, and I didn't have much energy for talking.

I was afraid of being put under, but it really went smoothly with no anxiety whatsoever. One moment I was lying on the operating table, and what seemed like an instant later, I felt myself being wheeled out of the room. I could tell that the surgery had been done because I felt a pain in my pelvic area. It was not a huge pain, just kind of a cramp.

After my anxiety about general anesthesia, I found it to be no problem at all.
Unread 05-14-2003, 03:12 PM

This was the number one question I had as well -- I opted (based on my Doctor's advice) to have my TAH via spinal...IT WAS A BREEZE!!! The reason my Doctor recommended it is for patient comfort...no tubes, you sleep if you want...half asleep, whatever you prefer and feel nothing! I researched this before going to the Kastle..and found that many patients have sickness during recovery and the first couple of days and I didn't want that with lots of stitches, etc..and my Doctor was the one that recommend the spinal...that took care of it..and I felt so sorry for the lady beside me in my room that had the same procedure..she was sick and she also had to pump the morphine for pain off and on for a couple of days. My spinal was the kind that had the pain meds for a 24 hour period and the I was not attached to the pump. For me it made the most sense..and that was one of the things that made such a difference for me (patient compfort).

I was wiggling my toes during recovery...with no pain from the surgery..and no sickness.

I also should mention that my Doctor told me that he has done over 2000 of these surgeries and never recommends general unless the spinal doesn't take (they test for certain prior to surgery)...however, the Doctor made it clear to me that many doctors get use to the old way and will not offer anything but general.

Your question is such an excellent one -- I only wish I had had a spinal for the birth of my son!!! I was chicken then -- but it was a breeze!!!
Unread 05-14-2003, 03:43 PM

Here's a link about spinal anesthesia and general
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...724#post622724
Unread 05-14-2003, 04:12 PM

Thanks to all of the sisters who helped me with this. My doctor does not offer my surgery with anything but general. He is an older doctor with almost 30 yrs experience strictly surgical gyn and high risk ob, and one of the best in my area. I do trust him fully!

I couldnt do the spinal even if I wanted to. I had an epi in 99 and I was so scared that I begged them to go ahead and knock me out. I was able to feel everything, but had no pain and I was terrified! I was convinced I was going to die (had been having nightmares about that) Morphine was my best friend that day. There is no way I could ever do it again, although I do admire the sisters who can!

I will certainly ask my gyn and the anesthesiologist to find out exactly how I will be sedated.

Thanks again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register