New here, and strange dreams | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here, and strange dreams New here, and strange dreams

Unread 01-13-2004, 07:49 PM
New here, and strange dreams

Well I go for surgery on the 19th and I've started getting real odd dreams. Wont go into details just trust me their odd. I'm starting to get nervous, can any one tell me what things I might need at home to make my life simpler. I'm having TVH I hope I have the initials right.
Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2004, 09:03 PM

Barb,
Don't be nervous. I had a TVH last June and am doing just fine. The recovery was pretty swift, and without too many problems. The only real things I can think of to recommend having are a comfy pillow and a nice place to rest that is not too hard to get out of! A water bottle nearby and good books and magazines. A helping hand is good. I live with just my children who were with their father the week after my surgery, and I had my mom and other family and friends spend some nights with me to get things for me, do some chores, etc. If someone offers help to you, take it!

Best of luck -- everything will be fine!
Unread 01-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Sugg. for those going in to surgery.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Reese01
Well I go for surgery on the 19th and I've started getting real odd dreams. Wont go into details just trust me their odd. I'm starting to get nervous, can any one tell me what things I might need at home to make my life simpler. I'm having TVH I hope I have the initials right.
Barb
Barb,
some suggestions of what to have when you return home..... take a pillow with you to the hospital- because you will need to cling to it on the ride home from the hospital. ( you will also use it post-op when you cough or sneeze- it helps alliviate some pain).......
ASK QUESTIONS!!!
Medical professionals do not always tell you what you need to know... ask about medicines, hormones, EVERYTHING that happened during your surgery / what all was removed, ask what limitations you will have at home and for how long.............

At home, be ready for bladder/bowel/gas "issues" (they effect most of us for one period of time or another).... So, GAS-X, Stool Softeners, (and possibly water pills, if you have trouble in that area). ONE OF THE GREATEST INVENTIONS FOR POST-OP HYST. is the girdle.... About 3 days after you return home- bind up that belly. It helps with the swelling and it helps with healing. It was a godsend... And it will help you sleep better....

After a few days - you will want to wean yourself off the pain pills b/c they just take SO MUCH out of you..... DO NOT take Aleve or Advil as a subsitute. Doc's say that they can have adverse effects with the other meds you may be on. (so, stay away from ibuprofen)..... ASK YOUR DOCTOR WHICH ONE THEY WOULD PREFER YOU TAKE..... I take Tylenol (Max. strength- 3 of them)--- but once again- ASK YOUR DOCTOR.....

Sleeping with your bed on an incline for the 1st week might be good. (EX. like how the hospital bed is inclined. It helps you get in and out of bed easier.) BUT only for a week or so.

DO NOT EAT ALOT! Your body will be weakened anyhow- use food for energy- NOT FOR COMPANY! (trust me- this one is hard for me. I am overweight and I decided to use this time to start that "diet" I'd been talking about in 2004)

I am 8 days post-op tomorrow. If you need someone to talk to- I'm here. Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2004, 11:09 PM
Strange dreams also

I am having a lot of strange dreams too. A lot of them about babies (I'm done), a lot about my ex husband...some strange stuff. I also wondered if it was unusual to have all these dreams. Most of the time I don't remember my dreams, but here lately I've had some doozies!
Unread 01-14-2004, 11:05 AM

I had very bizarre and vivid dreams right before and within the 1st 2 wks post op. I'm 4 wks post op now and don't remember even having dreams. I just think it's the way a brain handles the transition and shock of it all mentally. It's our bodies way of releasing the frustration and fear of it all. Sending some good sleep vibes.
Unread 01-15-2004, 08:32 AM

Hi Barb! I'm 4 weeks post-op from TAH/BSO and am doing very well. Having your recovery room at home ready and waiting for you is very important because all you will want to do is shuffle from the car to some comfy place and rest! Here are some things that were very helpful to me the first few weeks home:

1. Pillows -- lots and lots in all shapes, sizes and firmness. It was comforting to have the pillows all cuddled around me and supporting me. Also, if you have pets, especially lap cats, pillows are a must!
2. A grabber stick -- my DH bought one for around 10 bucks at Wal-Mart. It sounds silly, but it helped me reach simple things like tissues, magazines, tv remote, and yes, I even used it to pull up my granny panties when I just couldn't bend over very far.
3. GAS-X and stool softeners. My Dr. also advised drinking warm prune juice as a natural aid to the most anticipated first post-op BM! Sounds yucky, but wasn't bad and did the trick.
4. Granny panties and comfy pull-on pants were very helpful with the tender belly.
5. I ordered the swelly belly band from the Huster Sisters site. Every few hours I would put it back in the fridge to get cool and then strap it on. Felt really wonderful.
6. I tried a panty girdle for support but didn't like struggling to pull it up/on nor how it felt on my legs. As an alternative, DH bought a 3" wide Ace bandage for me. I used this on my tummy as support when I would go for walks. Really helped -- just don't pull it too tight.
7. Appetites can be tricky and you don't want to eat or drink anything that will create extra gas (carbonated drinks, beans, even some veggies like broccoli, etc). I found yogurt, bland soups, fresh fruit, honey graham crackers, baked potatoes were good. Don't forget to drink lots and lots of water.
8. This may sound silly, but before surgery, I pulled out several very loose tops and bottoms, my granny panties, some socks, pajamas, etc. and placed them on the dresser where they were at waist height and I didn't have to rummage through drawers or bend over to find my clothes. I did the same thing in my bathroom. On the counter, I placed all the things I thought I would need daily so that I didn't have to bend over. Everything was at hand's reach. It is hard if you like things neat and tidy but you'll be ever so glad you don't have to bend over!

Good luck to you! I wish you an uneventful surgery and very speedy recovery!!
Unread 01-15-2004, 08:41 PM

Barb,
What are your dreams about? How do you feel in them and when you wake up?
Sheree, Tarzana, CA
Unread 01-15-2004, 10:04 PM

I received different advice than auntsherry4. My doctor recommended I take ibuprofen PLUS additional painkillers for as long as I felt like I needed to and not try to "tough it out" or "wean myself off" This is advice that I also received after having surgery for a joint problem from another doctor. The theory is that pain and stress can lead to the release of chemical mediators that may delay healing. Also, there are some that believe antiinflammatories such as ibuprofen may potentially reduce the chance of developing adhesions postoperatively.

But I agree with auntsherry4's advice to talk to your doctor about it all! I am not your doctor!

Any pressure on my bikini incision is uncomfortable so a girdle wouldn't work for me, but I've read accounts where it's VERY helpful for others, so definitely give it a try!

Theresa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register