2 days Post hysterectomy symptoms...dreams, gas, neck pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 days Post hysterectomy symptoms...dreams, gas, neck pain 2 days Post hysterectomy symptoms...dreams, gas, neck pain

Unread 07-31-2015, 09:04 PM
2 days Post hysterectomy symptoms...dreams, gas, neck pain

This is my first question on Hystersisters hope I'm doing it right!
Since my surgery (TLH, bladder sling, rectocele repair) two days ago, I've had weird dreams! Realistic dreams about people in my life who aren't part of my daily life. Just bizarre for me. The night in the hospital I kept dreaming I was getting prepped for surgery and then I would come awake and remind myself that I was already recovering. It was a bit scary.
Also, does anyone have helpful tips for passing gas? It's the only pain I'm having in my abdomen.
My neck hurts. Is this normal? My head feels too heavy for my neck and it aches. I've been using Doterra Essential Oil, Deep Blue, to ease the pain.
I would love to know if I'm alone in this? Any helpful tips would be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2015, 09:14 PM
Re: Post op symptoms...dreams, gas, neck pain

Yardsaleprinces,

You did it just right, and it sounds like you are having common recovery symptoms. I had weird dreams too. I do after any surgery. A doctor once told me they were due to not going all the way down into deep sleep and the worries on my mind were playing out in my head. I don't know if he was right, but it made sense to me. Passing gas is a big deal and a huge topic after hysterectomy. First you might want to try Gas-X to prevent the gas from forming in the first place. Getting up and walking helps as does drinking plenty of water and getting the bowels moving. They get sort of stunned by surgery so make sure to take stool softeners if your doctor recommended them. Your could try peppermint tea, and eating dried prunes and apricots seems to help get things going. An achy neck is also normal. It could be due to positioning during the surgery or CO2 gas used to inflate your abdomen so the doctor has room to work. Moist heat seems to help. I microwaved a moist towel and put it on my neck. Changing positions can help. The good news is that it usually disappears withing a few days. I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly.
Unread 07-31-2015, 09:28 PM

I am 9 days post op. I used GasX for a few days and it really helped. I only had those pains for about 3 days. I didnt have dreams before surgery but I sure have had a couple vivid and weird dreams post op! Two of them dealt with me searching for my children and cant find them. I dont have any kids. I think that falls under weird. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2015, 12:37 AM

I'm 3 days post-op and have had very strange and vivid dreams as well. The gas is definitely the worst. My nurses gave me Pepcid chews and stool softener in the hospital. Getting up and walking is the best thing and of course water. I tried to keep my food to easily digestible foods and adding prunes. Grapefruit oil, lemon oil and digezen oil helped some too. I purchased a travel neck pillow and took with me to hospital knowing my neck would hurt. The pillow helped and I only had minor neck pain. Hang in there and know you are not alone.
Unread 08-01-2015, 06:48 AM
Re: 2 days Post hysterectomy symptoms...dreams, gas, neck pain

Totally normal, I think.
My first night, I would drift off and dream that what I just experienced was a dress rehearsal, and the real surgery was the next day. To say I was relieved when I woke up is an understatement!
To get rid of the gas, I took gasx and paced around the house. My neck was sore for a few days.
Hang in there, it will all get better!
Unread 08-01-2015, 09:04 AM

Thank you all! Just knowing I'm not alone makes it easier!
Unread 08-01-2015, 10:29 AM

The shoulder pain is from the CO2 gas they use in laparascopic surgery to inflate your tummy. What helped me was getting up and walking around. Took about 2 days. Completely normal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register