Should I Wait and See? Fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I Wait and See? Fibroids Should I Wait and See? Fibroids

Unread 10-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Should I Wait and See? Fibroids

Hi everyone, I am new. I'll give you the background and hopefully get some insights from you all.

I scheduled a gyno visit (last one 2 years ago, she removed a polyp in office). I scheduled the apt. this year because about 9 months ago I started to notice this sensation in my uterus during orgasm, and was feeling a heaviness in my pelvic area. I definitley felt that something was there. During the exam my Dr. saw a small fibroid, scheduled blood work, a transvaginal US, and a follow up. During the follow up it was determined that my hormones are fine, pap fine but the heaviness I was feeling is a subseresol fibroid tumor about the size of a grapefruit growing on top of my uterus. I also have a 3 cm fibroid located inside the muscle of my uterus which has started to calcify, which is apparantley the start of it dying. My gyno suggested a complete abdominal hysterectomy including the cervix and ovary because I am 46 and done with children. Since then I have been researching the internet for information, and I am torn between a wait and see attitude because I really don't have any bleeding or pain. I am also concerned about messing up my hormones. I told him that I wanted to keep my ovaries, which he seemed to be OK with, but when I asked about keeping the cervix he seemed to really push to take it out.

The symptoms I have are the heaviness, bloating, weight gain around my midsection, tiredness, hair loss and depression. Because my hormone levels are fine, I can't blame it on menopause, and am wondering if it is the fibroids.

The only bright spot in doing the surgery is I would also schedule a tummy tuck, which I have wanted for a long time.

Setting vanity aside as a reason to go ahead and do this (the tummy tuck) any thoughts on waiting?

Thanks for any input in advance. They would like to schedule this for Nov. 8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2007, 04:19 PM

Hi Daphne123,

I might suggest you get a 2nd opinion...just to gather more information.

I had the same gyneo Dr. for (5) yrs. and I decided to get a 2nd opinion when I was diagnosed with (2) large fibroids. I was also 46. I had pelvic pressure 24/7, bladder incontinence and I also had pain during sex. In my case, my periods were starting to get heavier. I also had a small tummy going on and I was starting to leave the top button undone on my pants. And...I too...was tired all the time.

A hyst for fibroids is generally an ~elective~ surgery and that can be one of the biggest reasons to not have a hyst. The why??? For me, it was a quality of life issue...or lack of...with fibroids. If you are not having major symptoms, a ~wait and see~ could be a good choice.

You might research the different types of hysts and talk it over with your Dr. Possibly you are a candidate for a less invasive hyst (TVH, LAVH, TLH or a LSH). It can never hurt to research it. In my case, I had a window of opportunity for a less invasive hyst, so that was one reason I proceeded.

On the ovaries...I did keep mine. They were healthy and ovarian cancer does not run in my family. I also kept my cervix since it was sturdy and I had normal pap smears for years. My Dr. felt the cervix helps with pelvic support and with sex. You can get (2) schools of thought on that.

In the end...do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Mary
Unread 10-04-2007, 04:51 PM

Daphne 123,

I had a grapefruit size fibroid also. It was pressing on my bladder and I believe that it caused the severe back pain that Ihad experienced for the past year. I had a second opinion too. Both doctors seemed to think that it needed to come out especially since it had doubled in size in a year and had even grown in the month between appointments.

I have to say that I feel so much better and have peace of mind. I know that it was just a very small chance of it being cancer but my mom died from cancer and it was in the back of my mind.

No one can make this choice for you. Ask millions of questions, do research and do what is best for you.

As to the tummy tuck...... That wasn't an option for me but I would have loved one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2007, 03:47 PM

I have subserosal fibroids, too, and I have a lot of the above symptoms. I, too, believe my back issues are being caused by or exacerbated by the fibroids. I am also having my period about every two weeks and have since June.

I'll be visiting a university fibroid clinic in November for my 2nd opinion. My gynecologist seems to think it's HER decision what I do about the fibroids. I beg to differ. I'm almost 45, but my mom didn't go through menopause until her mid-50s. I'm not doing this for another 10 years.

MJM -- did the surgery help with your back pain?

Daphne -- I know it's a hard decision. I'll be interested in knowing what you decide to do.
Unread 10-05-2007, 05:10 PM

If I had no symptoms with my fibroids, I would not have had any of my surgeries. They kept me infertile for years. (I had a baby after I had them cut out the first time.) I was in pain every month with a lot of bleeding.

On the other hand, if I hadn't had my hysterectomy things would have rapidly gotten worse as they discovered stage iv endometriosis and lots of adhesions that we didn't know about prior to my hysterectomy. They could have been part of the reason for the symptoms I was having.

It is a personal decision, but remember it is a major surgery. We never know how things will go with hormones afterward, or how smoothly recovery will go. I ended up having a total and unplanned BSO due to the severity of my insides. My recovery was very smooth, and I haven't needed HRT.

Best wishes and prayers on your decision.
Unread 10-05-2007, 06:09 PM

[quote=Fibroids'RUs]

MJM -- did the surgery help with your back pain?

My back is feeling wonderful right now. Sometimes I have a little pain but not like before. I brought this up to my doctor and she said that many women find back relief after their hyst but that she can't say that it is from the fibroids. Right now, I do.

Good luck with your decision
Unread 10-12-2007, 09:41 PM

I too was diagnoised with fibroids this year. I was scheduled for my annual, when my friend showed up over 2 weeks early. I've been taking BCPs for 20 years, so the doc chalked it up to my body just not liking this on anymore. Short story is after 10 months and 3 different pills I'm still bleeding daily (some light, some heavy) while I'm taking 2 BCPs daily. After an ultrasound, the fibroids were found. Options discussed were an ablation or hysterectomy, but after seeing how many fibriods I had, the size of a couple of them, and that I was still bleeding after 10 months, she recommended an LAVH (including cervix). The ovaries are my decision and I am leaning toward keeping them. I thought of waiting, but Daphne123, as you read throug a lot of threads, so many of these ladies have dealt with this for YEARS before they had a hysterectomy (after having less invasive procedures as well). I decided I don't have the time or inclination to deal with this any longer than I have. Maybe it's selfish, but I figured if you're putting me under to scrap it out, then take it out.

My doc recommends taking the cervix because she said if any of the uterine tissue remains, then you can still get fibroids. Also, some of my fibroids are down low.

I'm looking forward to being able to button the top button of my pants again!

Unread 10-12-2007, 10:47 PM

I did the wait and see for 6 years. I was put on BCP and then the Nuva Ring. My symptoms were not unbearable, but I did not want to take BCP/Ring for another 12 years (if menopause was at 55 like my mom). Also, my fibroids were growing and if I waited more they could only cause more problems (pressure on bladder and ovaries was increasing). I sometimes took a break from the BCP and ended up with heavy bleeding. I went to a third dr. for an opinion as to what I should do. She offered me all options with pros and cons (UAE. LSH, TVH and LAVH). At 43 I thought now's the time so I can be pill free (Kept my ovaries). I went with LAVH b/c it was less invasive than abdominal and I felt the laparascopic would help the dr. check everything out better and it wouldn't need to turn into an abdominal while I was under. I decided to remove my cervix (after much thought - 2 yrs!) because I didn't want to worry about it later. FOr pelvic support, the dr. sutured the top of my vagina to the ligaments that once held the cervix/uterus so that I won't need the cervix for 'support'. It is important to have a dr. who is open to all options. I'm 3 weeks post op and feel the operation was a success.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register