For those that kept your ovaries, are you having hot flashes (m) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

For those that kept your ovaries, are you having hot flashes (m) For those that kept your ovaries, are you having hot flashes (m)

Unread 06-25-2006, 08:31 AM
For those that kept your ovaries, are you having hot flashes (m)

and pms symptoms and if so how long is it before our ovaries should kick in and start working again after surgery? These hot flashes are killing me. I want my ovaries to start working soon.

Steph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2006, 08:49 AM
ovaries haven't kicked in yet

I am 4 wks post op and my ovaries have not started working yet. I have hot flashes (although not as many the last few days) and night sweats. My doctor told me I will continue to have the PMS symptoms every month like breast tenderness, irritability and bloating, just no period. I think things will settle down eventually but I've heard it can take 6 months or more - so hang in there, it will get better!
Unread 06-25-2006, 09:05 AM

starwatcher,

funny you should mention this... normally I am a cold person, even run my space heater at work.... since my surgery, I have found myself laying on the couch with the air on, cool in here... and all of a sudden I got hot. Its horrible.... I havent ever had a problem with that before. Must be what they call hot flashes. I remember my mom going through it after her hysterectomy years ago, it was awful.

I can relate and its horrible. I have been turning on the fan blowing it in my direction to cool off. One thing for sure, people at work will love it, now I wont be roasting them out with my heater on!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2006, 09:09 AM

3 weeks post-op and no hot flashes yet. Does anyone know if hormones will be necessary since ovaries were kept?
Unread 06-25-2006, 09:27 AM

that a good question, my doctor never mentioned it, however I will mention to her on my 6 wk post op my symptoms. I also wonder if you keep your ovaries if you need to worry about that...
Unread 06-25-2006, 09:39 AM

Hello All! I had this problem after my TAH last Aug. My ovaries took three months to come back to normal. If you are concerned about the possibility of having to use HRT, please discuss this with your dr. They can check your hormone levels and see if your ovaries are producing enough. The only other advice I can give is to have patience and stockup on frozen juice bars, as they really seem to help.
Unread 06-25-2006, 09:40 AM

How do they check hormone levels??? sorry for the stupid question....
Unread 06-25-2006, 09:43 AM

They check hormone levels with a blood test.
Unread 06-25-2006, 10:17 AM

Hi all,
I asked my M.D. about the hotflashes when I had my staples out a couple of days ago. His reply was : it had nothing to do with the surgery because he didn't even "touch" my ovaries so my horomones should be fine. I can't tell what a relief it was to find this site and read that it's a common thing and my M.D. obviously needs to brush up on the after-effects of this surgery. He was very rude and defensive, as though I was accusing him of recking my ovaries, when all I wanted to hear was that it's a common problem that will resolve with time. It's been 10 days since my TAH and the hotflashes seem to be happening less frequently. Hang in there!
Unread 06-25-2006, 10:27 AM

I have to ask this,Why would anyone want to keep ovaries,if uterus is gone? From all that I have researched,most of the time you have to go back in and get them out and end up on hormones anyway? Why go through 2 surgeries,I say take it all out and it is over.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register