Why can't I have alcohol in the days prior to surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why can't I have alcohol in the days prior to surgery? Why can't I have alcohol in the days prior to surgery?

Unread 08-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Why can't I have alcohol in the days prior to surgery?

During pre-op I asked the anesthesiologist if I could have a glass of wine with dinner in the days prior to the surgery and he said "I would avoid it if I were you". Because I had so many other questions, I just accepted his answer without exploring his response any further. I LIKE to have that one glass of wine with dinner, it relaxes me (which I especially need during these days) and helps my appetite immensely. I would think then that one glass of wine couldn't hurt. I'll follow orders of course, but does anyone know just what the danger is? I understand excessive alcohol use might affect something or other, but ONE glass with food???????????? I don't get it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2007, 07:20 PM

You should ask your doctor for a suitable sedative. Alcohol irritates stomach linings, and can make you more prone to vomiting. Also it has a sedative effect that can interact with anesthesia. Yes, even one glass...yes even over the days prior to your surgery. Your body takes time to recover from things, so that is why you are asked not to drink.

Your doctor would not be telling you this if it is not important, no matter that it might sound trivial when compared to the whole picture. In fact, not drinkig for a week or two, would not be unreasonable to do, imho anyway.

You should actually ask the anesthesiologist, to be more precise, for specific advice and as to why you need to do this, and how you need to implement it, if you really want details.

Post surgically, do not drink, as it can cause you to hemorrhage by dilating your blood vessels, as alcohol does.

And so on. Even the one glass, is not harmless at this time. Your liver and kidneys will be working overtime to filter out the toxins that the anesthesia introduces into your body, never mind everything else that has to do with healing, and well, just being alive added on top, so give them a chance by taking better care of yourself in this time before surgery. You really need to obey your doctor... it is vitally important that you do not perceive this as trivial or unimportant.
Unread 08-02-2007, 07:29 PM

Hello. Because you were talking with your anesthesiologist, it's probably best to abide by his request. I did not have these proscriptions. They asked me if I had alcohol, and I said, yes, about 10 to 12 oz every night or every other night. They said nothing --none of my docs have said anything about that -- and we went on with the questions. The anesthesiologist and doc are much more interested in the fact that I have never smoked. But depending on what other drugs you are using, the alcohol needs to be reported. I was told I could go back to my regular diet in a week after my surgery. In fact, alcohol tasted TERRIBLE to me! For nearly 6 months. Then slowly I got back into having my glass or two of wine. My doctor thinks if I want a glass of wine, I should have it. I have stressful work, and it's part of my ethnic heritage to have wine, so he does not make a big deal about it.

If you are really wanting a glass of wine, why not call the anesthesiologist's office and see what they say. I don't have the concerns that the previous poster had about wine, obviously, so it might be worth a call just to double check to see if you might have that calming glass of wine at least three days prior to the surgery. I should add that I stopped the wine a week before my surgery, but that was my own decision to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2007, 09:38 PM

Marisol,

Please follow your Doctors advice and instructions. There have been women who have had their surgeries cancelled because they didn't see the harm in having just one of "this thing or that". If by chance, you do go against orders, and don't get caught, and have your surgery, you have then put yourself at greater risk for serious problems. A6000's post is very good, with very real information and concerns. I know for me, a daily glass of wine would not be worth the added risk.

s and Best Wishes,
Kay
Unread 08-03-2007, 07:52 AM

Thanks all! Will do!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register