4 weeks post hysterectomy & BSO and I am having 24/7 hot/cold fluctuations | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post hysterectomy & BSO and I am having 24/7 hot/cold fluctuations 4 weeks post hysterectomy & BSO and I am having 24/7 hot/cold fluctuations

Unread 05-06-2016, 06:07 PM
4 weeks post hysterectomy & BSO and I am having 24/7 hot/cold fluctuations

For the first two weeks after my Hysterectomy/Prolapse repair and ovary removal, I felt NO menopause symptoms. I am 45, and was definitely in perimenopause but was still having irregular periods.

I thought I had escaped surgical menopause!

Right around the 2 week mark my belly button incision became infected. I needed Bactrim. Then I started having urinary retention and I've been self-cathing as we determine if the bladder sling is functioning ok.

So right around this time (2 weeks) I started feeling sweaty all the time. Then chills. Hot cold hot cold ALL. THE. TIME. I was sure it was the infection.

Now the infection is under control and the temperature control is worse than ever. My doctor calls it "hot flash" but honestly... I've had a few hot flashes where my face gets burning red and I get hot, but this other thing is a whole other beast. It's 44 degrees outside and I am clammy and sweating around the clock. Is this surgical menopause?

Today the doctor mentioned SSRI's or HRT and I'm not ready to think about all that yet.

My question is has anyone had this, is it surgical menopause, and can I expect this for weeks? months? years? Sugar definitely makes it worse so I am going to give up sugar and processed foods entirely and see how much that helps. This is just more intense than I expected. My emotions were swinging wildly during week 2-3 but have settled down a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2016, 08:24 AM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy & BSO and I am having 24/7 hot/cold fluctuations

Hi Froglet, It sounds like what you're experiencing is surgical menopause. Surgical menopause is different than natural menopause. Natural menopause usually comes on gradually as the ovaries don't suddenly shut off completely. It sounds like this was what you were experiencing pre-op, as you were having some menopause symptoms but still having some irregular periods. With surgical menopause, the hormones shut off completely as the ovaries are gone. So you may experience a sudden increase and stronger symptoms.

It's not unusual for the symptoms to start two weeks or even longer after surgery, as our bodies do store some hormones. Once this store is depleted, the symptoms will kick in. They can really vary from one women to the next as to how severe the symptoms are and how long they will last. Here are some articles that may help:

Natural vs. Surgical Menopause

Surgical Menopause After Natural Menopause

5 Interesting Facts About Surgical Menopause

7 Tips for Managing Surgical Menopause without HRT

I hope this helps. It may also help to keep a Symptom Diary and take with you to the doctor's to discuss. If you don't wish to use HRT, ask your doctor what natural supplements may be appropriate or helpful for you.

I'm sending you hugs that you get some relief!

Unread 05-07-2016, 09:43 AM
4 weeks post hysterectomy & BSO and I am having 24/7 hot/cold fluctuations

I'm with you. Almost 3 wks post complete hyst and my hot/cold cycles usually occur at night. I've always had problems falling asleep and now when I do fall asleep it's interrupted by the alternating changes in temperature. I haven't had a lot of sweats. Hopefully this will calm down over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2016, 09:49 AM

I was placed on ert immediately following my tah/bso. I still experienced the cold and hot flashes. I would get so cold my teeth would literally chatter. Knowing what I know now, it was likely from fluctuating hormone levels as my body recovered from the stress of surgery and used up its stored reserves of hormones. The coldness did get better over time.

Unread 05-07-2016, 10:03 AM

Thank you for sharing your experience and the links, I will definitely look in to them.
Unread 05-08-2016, 06:59 PM

Like you, I was dealing with more subtle, natural menopause symptoms, and like you, I thought I was in the clear until 2 weeks after my surgery. Then...BAM! The hot flashes and night sweats were a whole different beast from what I had been experiences previously! And then, I get these bone chilling whole body cold waves. Crazy!

On the other hand, I feel more stable emotionally. Peri menopause was an emotional roller coaster ride, and I'm hoping that is definitely behind me. So far, so good!

Hang in there! Like you, I'm trying to recongnize triggers and am trying some more natural remedies like Evening Primrose Oil.

As far as how long this lasts? Some folks have said they taper out months out. Others talk about years. I'm going to try to take it as it comes, as well as I can, and reserve the right to change tactics (including HRT) if I decide it's getting to be too much.

Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register