7 days to go....exhausted.....can't sleep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 days to go....exhausted.....can't sleep 7 days to go....exhausted.....can't sleep

Unread 02-08-2001, 08:28 PM
7 days to go....exhausted.....can't sleep

Hey everyone,

TAH/?BSO on 2/16. I am having an awful time sleeping. I get so tired and then I lay down and can't sleep. Starting to snap at my DH and DD. About to banish my dog to the barn and basiclly going stir crazy. I have never taken sleeping pills but I am on the verge of asking my doc to prescribe a few. Has anyone else resorted to sleeping pills, just for a few days and is it harder to go back to sleeping on your own after taking them? On a positive note, my insurance required ultrasound came back indicating an enlarged uterus, thickening of the uterine lining, and fibroid tendancies. At least I know now that there is something wrong and I am not just being a wimp. After that the insurance ok'd the hyst. If they hadn't I might have had to rob a bank or something to pay for it. Well, thanks for letting me vent. Just 7 days and counting. YEEHAW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2001, 08:41 PM

Thank goodness, you made it past the insurance company that seems to be a challenge. As far as your not sleeping, you are probably too anxious or excited. Your doc can get you something to help you. You need not be so exhausted getting ready to go to the castle.

Has your anemia caused any question to your surgery, or is it controlled?

You really do need to ask for something to get some rest and don't worry about later, that is another day. If you are bouncing off the walls, it won't help you or the family including the poor dog.

You are probably like me, I got so excited I could hardly stand it. My DH had to hear about it non stop. Now he is glad it is over and "we" are healing. Be glad now when the healing time is over and I can get out and work/play. Never a dull moment.

Good luck and Prayers to ya'll
Queena

TAH BSO AP APPIE (acute) Jan 26 01
Unread 02-08-2001, 10:05 PM

The week before my hysterectomy was TERRIBLE. Thinking about it consumed every waking moment (and that consisted of about 22 hours a day, lol).
There is nothing wrong with talking to your Doctor for a prescription if you feel you need one. There have been lots of pre-op sisters who have chose that route. After all, you will be having major surgery and you need to be well rested so your body will be in top shape for recovery.
The waiting is the hardest part. Your mind goes into overtime, not only thinking about surgery, but trying to get all your "affairs" in order that you won't be able to take care of during recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2001, 12:04 AM
not sleepy wherever you are...

Hi! Have you tried the old tried and true things like warm milk (yech...but it has chemicals in it that make you sleepy), warm bath, dull book - my students would say try a geography textbook - back rub by DH and so on? If not, let your doctor help you get some rest!
Good luck!
Unread 02-09-2001, 02:56 AM

Hey Robin....You're sooo close now!!! No wonder you are so nervy/snappy and excited!! BTW I'm on Jury duty that day!
If you're really not comfortable with sleeping tablets...I have a sure fire way of getting to sleep - for me anyway!!
I use foam ear plugs in the early morn when Dh's alarm goes off 2hrs b4 I need to get up! For me it blocks - out all that 'distracting' noise and it just helps me focus on ... nothingness! You could try that! Otherwise I have been on sleeping pills b4 and I didnt have too much prob getting used to sleeping without them again.
Good Luck Sis...Be thinking of you!
Luv and Hugs...
Unread 02-09-2001, 07:32 AM

Thank you all so much for all your thoughts and suggestions.I was doing pretty well, until a couple of days ago. My DH hasn't mentioned the men in white coats or rubber rooms yet so he must be dealing with my mood swings pretty well. DD just hides in her room. The dog has taken refuge with the cat. I would try the warm milk but dairy products make me ill. I think I am going to try some OTC sleep aids first and if that doesn't work, call the doc for a prescription. My blood count at last check was an 11 so the anemia is pretty well under control. Just hope it stays that way. I am taking a multi vitiminplus extra Iron and I am trying to eat broccoli or something green everyday. This board has been such a Godsend. It is so wonderful to be able to talk and ask questions without someone looking at you like you are from outerspace or something. Well, I have to get ready for work. Thanks again.
Unread 02-09-2001, 07:32 AM

I am very nervous also and have gotten a nerve pill loranzapan and it has relly helped.I take 1 in the morning and 2 before I go to bed.I figure this is what I need for now and we worry about the rest later.Good luck.My surgery is Feb.20
Unread 02-09-2001, 07:21 PM

hi!

Tylenol PM really helped me sleep just before my surgery. I had to take it about 9PM so I could sleep it all off. If I took it later, I would be groggy the next day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register