How much can you do post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much can you do post-op How much can you do post-op

Unread 08-01-2009, 11:10 PM
How much can you do post-op

I'm new, so I don't know the right acronym for the surgery I'm having yet. It will be a laproscopy. Haven't decided yet on ovary removal, but they will be doing a lot of digging around to remove adhesions and endometriosis from other locations in the abdomen.

My concern is my fiance. He's recovering from organ failure and diabetes complications. I'm his de-facto caregiver while he is recovering. He can dress himself, get to the bathroom, etc but needs help with meals and medications and I do massage therapy when his neuropothy is really bad. Plus the biweekly ER visits.

Will I be able to do all these things as soon as I get home from the hospital? What kind of limitations will I have? We really can't afford to hire someone to come in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Re: How much can you do post-op

i have two kids to take care off and my dr told my that i need to get someone if i could to help out with them for the first week or two because your going to get tired real ease and just not feel like doing alot that first couple of weeks.you want be able to left anything heavier than a gallon of milk,no bending or twisting,and no driving until after you go back for your follow-up appointment with the dr.i hope this helps you out.
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:19 AM

It helped me a lot to go to the post-op suggestions on this site. It's very clear and detailed. Please please do not plan on doing anything for anyone, including yourself, right after your surgery. This is major surgery, whether it's done lapariscopically or not. I overdid it and paid a huge price, slipping backwards in my healing and suffering a lot of pain. I wish I had listened, but I'm very stubborn, and it hurt me.

No massages, no meal prep -- lifting a casserole dish in and out of the oven is too much at first. And no driving till the doc says you can, which differs -- mine was two weeks but some say four. If you don't have family or friends who can help, you might want to check with social services at the hospital. Churches can also provide help, sometimes even if you're not a member.

I did clean my house well before, and had frozen food in the fridge. My friends were very helpful -- fortunately I have a close friend who doesn't work, but I realize not everyone has that. I had to go outside my comfort zone and ask for help. Sending you wishes for help and comfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2009, 12:50 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the advice.

Ugghhh...you just reminded me of something one of my doctors chided me about years ago. They told me that pushing myself too much after surgery could increase my likelihood of forming more adhesions, which have been a real issue for me. I guess I'm going to have to be good and take it easy.

I feel kind of silly for jumping in and not even looking for post-op tips before posting. I'm off to look through them right now.

My mom's been there for every surgery I've ever had. She's moving out of state in a few weeks and, with her vision issues, I don't want her trying to make the trip.

I see the doctor on Tuesday for a bladder test (see if they can fix that problem at the same time), so I guess I need to discuss my concerns with him. Maybe my fiance might even qualify for some help due to his disabilities.

Thanks again. It really is such a relief to have found this board. I felt so alone in this and now I know there are so many wonderful people out there who understand.
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:17 AM

You've GOT to take it easy. I believe it helps you recover better and faster. My doctor said nothing but rest and walking for 6 weeks. I feel like I healed better by following his advice. Your doctor should be able to tell you what you can and can't do and for how long. Good luck!
Unread 08-02-2009, 08:31 AM

My thoughts when anyone asks these types of questions goes back to the "everyone is different" thought. I've had a much better recovery than I expected but just getting to the dr. on day 6 after surgery would have been a problem if my husband hadn't been home. I was still on pain meds, so there's no way I could've driven myself. I would've been fine preparing easy meals within the first few days after surgery but I was glad that I'd made and frozen enough to get us thru a couple weeks. Not everyone has been as lucky as I have though. Some have had complications or setbacks and even 2 weeks out, they couldn't be caring for anyone but themselves. Plan ahead for the worst case scenario and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:27 PM

I agree with the gal that said to check with your local church or social services to see if they have volunteers that can help you. What about neighbors? You really won't feel up to helping anyone, you'll barely be able to help yourself the first couple of days and that's even with the least invasive procedure.

Wishing you all the best,
It's time to pamper the princess, which is you!
Don't be afraid to be the recipient of care, you're going to need it, especially to help with a speedier recovery.

Hugs,
the ex lumpygus
daVinci hysterctomy 7/29

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register