Unusual Recovery Mode (RV!), colonoscopy same week... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unusual Recovery Mode (RV!), colonoscopy same week... Unusual Recovery Mode (RV!), colonoscopy same week...

Unread 03-18-2002, 09:36 AM
Unusual Recovery Mode (RV!), colonoscopy same week...

Greetings All: I tried a post last week on another thread but got no response, so will try my very own thread! I have a somewhat unusual circumstance for my upcoming TVH, in that we travel full-time in an RV, my husband is legally blind and doesn't drive, and we will be in the parking lot of the hospital for the first week of my recovery! My Dr. feels I will be able to drive after one week (1-ton truck with manual transmission), and we will move out of the parking lot to a park that is close by for another week, until I go in for my first post-surgery check. Dr. feels the few steps in the RV won't be a problem, husband is going to spend the night in my hospital room with me holding my hand! I'm sposed to just be in overnight if all goes well. I was already scheduled for a colonoscopy on 3/27, which is still sposed to happen, so I'm less than thrilled to have these two procedures within one week! I'm going to the Mayo Clinic though, and scheduling is very challenging, if I cancel the colonoscopy (which I need to have) I will be waiting a long time, and we don't want to hang out in 100+ temps in Phoenix in the summer! Anyway.....Dr. recommends removal of ovaries too in all probability, as I am 51, and she feels there is not a reason to keep them at this point (she says she would have hers removed if it were her). She is very supportive, kind, and Mayo trained, so hope I can trust this! I will take Estrace 1mg starting immediately, to keep side effects minimal, but protect for heart disease or stroke. Reason for the surgery is intractable bleeding, with anemia whici I am definitely feeling the effects of (lightheaded, ringing ears, very fatigued, CRYING!!! and emotional rollercoaster). Anyway, would appreciate any advice, words of support, etc. Oh, and I can't take Demerol or Codeine, so will use Rx level Ibuprofen after, Morphine pump Post-Op.

Thanks for listening!

Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2002, 09:56 AM
Forgot....

Me again...forgot to mention that the anemia/bleeding etc. is from multiple fibroids, and I have been anemic for over 1-1/2 years. Dr. wants to get surgery done before the bleeding turns into an emergency, and hopefully before I have another period (don't think I'm going to make that one though...20 days of bleeding in last 35 or so, and all signs of impending one yet again.
Unread 03-18-2002, 11:31 AM
unusual recovery

My goodness, I cant say that I've had a similar experience, but I just had to let you know I'll be praying for your safe and swift recovery. Is there any family in the area that could help? Even with a vaginal surgery I cant imagine driving an RV, manual to boot, within a week. As a last resort, you might consider contacting the United Way in the area...they have tremendous resources. Best of luck to you.

Blondi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2002, 02:38 PM

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts, and prayer would be good!
No, I do not have any extended family that could/would help. My kids are both in college, one in NYC, the other England, so no way they can help out right now either.

Ironically, after my post, the Mayo called to schedule my pre-op visit, and went into
a flap about the colonoscopy being scheduled the same week, said they needed to
talk to the Dr. and would be calling back. I don't know what they are going to
decide about that! Frankly, I keep thinking driving a truck with a clutch and hauling
a fifth wheel is going to seem a bit much after one week, but we'll see! Maybe we will become
a permanent fixture in the parking lot! They have a great cafeteria at any rate!

Tina
Unread 03-18-2002, 05:15 PM

Dear Tina,

Welcome to Hystersisters. I'm sorry that your earlier post didn't get a response, but am so glad that you decided to post another time.

I'm so sorry that you are having both problems, and that there are no family members nearby right now who could help out.

Most doctors do not permit driving for about two weeks after surgery, and in some states it's longer than that because of the lingering effects of the anesthesia in your body. Does your doctor really understand the situation that you are in? What arrangements have you made about getting food for the first 4 to 6 weeks?

Blondi's suggestion of contacting the United Way is very good. Perhaps they or a Red Cross volunteer or other volunteer could do the actual driving if it is necessary for you to move your RV, and would be willing to go to the store and run errands as needed.

Most hospitals have social workers or other staff members who are familiar with the services offered in the area and who will do everything they can to help you. Have you talked to that department yet?

Please let us know what happens after they call you back again.

's

Karen
Unread 03-18-2002, 05:48 PM

Hello again, haven't talked to Social Services Dept, but did visit the hospital about 2 weeks ago, and made the mistake of trying to ask questions of the Registration person, who ended up telling me "they might not be able to accommodate the size of our RV in their parking lot", I was so upset I just walked away so I wouldn't lose it right there..."Lady, if you can't accommodate US, who the *$%* CAN you accommodate?????" Anyway, the doctor was quite disgruntled when I told her this, and wrote us a "note" that says we must have parking in the lot for at least a week. My husband does have some low vision, so he can cook, etc. I think the Dr. does realize I'm the only driver, and its us in an RV. We have to be there on Thursday, for some other appts. over the course of the next week, so hopefully we will get this
completely planned at that time.

Seriously, the cafeteria there is really excellent, and they have "to go" containers too! The local fire department even drops by there to eat, because it is quite well done. Don't worry, we won't starve!! We do have some older friends who are going to try and travel there with their RV, but they are almost 80 and I've seen how he drives their truck, and NO WAY he is going to drive ours!

Could you tell me though, exactly how limited are you after the TVH? Dr. said it is much faster recovery, but still.....I can't imagine I will feel like prancing about! We have to drive to Iowa in May, do you think I will be ready for that??

Thanks for your concern, you have given some good ideas.

Tina
Unread 03-18-2002, 06:10 PM
RV recovery

Tina,

The suggestion about contacting a social worker at the hospital is a great idea. When I gave birth to my daughter 8 weeks early the hospital social worker was really helpful in many areas. I had insurance but she contacted someone to bring me a rental pump to express breast milk, she arranged passes for my family to the neonatal unit, she was a true God-send. I hadn't thought of that in my earlier post but I think that's your best bet....they can deal with the "parking nazis" for you...lol. I hope you can get it worked out.

Blondi45
Unread 03-18-2002, 06:30 PM

Hi Tina...I am scheduled to have my surgery tomorrow at noon....total lavh and both ovaries...I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. As far as the colonoscopy is concerned, I had that done 2 years ago and it was a breeze. No pain, no discomfort, the worst part was imagining what it would be like! My dr. used a "twilight" med for the procedure so I sort of knew what was going on - but didn't care at all! It was great. Hope all goes well for you. Ellen in SC
:
Unread 03-18-2002, 06:44 PM

Hi Tina,

Well, let me first say that in addition to the TVH I had repairs done for a rectocele and a cystocele, so when I sat for any length of time I was in discomfort from the episiotomy-like cut that is made when the repair work is done. (If you have to have that done, be sure to get a donut pillow to sit on!!).

I was released to drive at 2 weeks, but didn't really feel much like it, and I still felt pretty and don't think my reactions were very good, so I avoided it until a week or so later.

At 3 1/2 weeks I drove about 2 hours distance from here on my own and then back the following day. I was tired, but it was maneagable. Again, the discomfort was mainly from the repair, not the actual hyst, although internal stitches do dissolve at around that time, too, and you will probably feel twinges from that.

I'm glad that your husband is able to help with the cooking - that will make a difference in how I was picturing your recovery.

Please let us all know what happens when you have your next visit, and be sure to make time to talk to their Social Services Dept. as soon as you can.

's

Karen
Unread 03-18-2002, 08:46 PM

Hi Tina, I think recovery is a very individual thing. I had a TVH/BSO/A&P repair, and while I didn't drive for 2 weeks because of the meds I was on, I know I could have. It might have been a little uncomfortable but as long as it wasn't a long drive I know I would have made it. And I have a 38 foot Monaco...you can do it lady! Just think positive. I'll bet that you'll be able to drive at least long enough to get to a more suitable location.
A friend of mine is getting me a decal of a Princess crown to put on the back of my RV, maybe you should get one too!
Good luck and s,
- Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register