Running after a lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy (LAVH) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Women Who Run

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Running after a lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy (LAVH) Running after a lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy (LAVH)

Unread 03-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Running after a lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy (LAVH)

I have enjoyed reading the posts and want any input about starting running again after a LAVH. I see many posts indicate people have had abdominal hysterectomies. My doctor knows I am a runner (am 54 and have been running only 11 years), and she said I could start exercising two weeks post surgery. My surgery was three weeks ago tomorrow and I have just started walking the past few days. I am up to 35 minutes and I feel so much better after I walk... just like I feel so much better after every run I used to do. I would just like to touch base with anyone who has had my type of surgery and how you knew when it was right to go back to running and how you eased yourself back into it. It is a great addiction!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Re: Running after a lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy (LAVH)

Sounds like we have some things in common. I'm 51 and a runner for about 15 years. I had a LAVH, and my doc knows I am a runner and eager to get back on the road - but it does scare me a bit. Even walking too much makes me sore - inside and out! I'm recovering today from a 75 minute walk yesterday. I went too far and walked too many hills. I have another post-op appointment on March 21 and I am hoping to get the go-ahead to do more... even some leg work in the gym and/or elliptical trainer would be okay. Trying to decide whether to try and walk a half marathon at the end of April. I have to decide in the next two weeks... I know I CAN do it, I just don't want to injure myself in the process. I'll check in from time to time to compare notes, but I hope we hear from some of these runners that have made a full recovery!
Unread 03-13-2014, 12:37 PM

Thank you for your reply. I won't see my doctor until April 7 as she is away. I am anxious to hear what yours says about all kinds of exercise options including running. I wonder when I can do core work as well. I walked 2.5 miles yesterday but the roads are junky now with ice and snow so I did four sets of five minutes each on my stairs. Couldn't believe I was breathing hard after each set. I thought I was in such good shape. I hope we hear from others who have had a LAVH and have returned to running. I know my doctor was quite vague prior to surgery...basically said it was my call based on how I feel. I must say I got very little instruction and have found more info on this venue. I return Monday to my third grade teaching job. Thinking about it already makes me tired. Please keep in touch and happy healing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2014, 10:27 PM

Hello! I am 8 weeks post op and had laperscopic vaginal assisted hysterectomy. My Dr said walk rest walk rest walk rest for the first week then the 2nd week add a little more. Exactly one week after surgery I went to the gym and walked a mile slow but steady. I walked several more times that week and week 2 I walked 2 miles and 3 I went 3 miles and so on... I had my post op at week 4 and my dr was in shock at my progress and all I had done.he released me that day for everything no restrictions just if it hurts don't do it. Today I ran a 5k I still have some discomfort when running or jumping rope. But I do CrossFit as well and I went back to that at week 3 modified a lot of course but this last week I flipped a 350 lb tire! I was strong going into surgery had a really strong core and I believe that is what made the difference in my recovery. My core is definitely not what it was but I'm getting there! My biggest issue is I can't lose a pound! I fight hard just to stay the same since surgery. Anyway just wanted to encourage you ladies to get out and try even if it's not a run just walk a lot and your endurance will return. I had to walk a few times in my 5k today and my tummy is kinda crampy tonight I wore compression tights to hold the core tight that helped compared to the runs where I didn't wear them.
Unread 03-16-2014, 04:56 PM

Strongmimi, glad to hear you are doing so well! Your fitness beforehand most certainly played a role in your recovery. Well done!

Faithtoheal, I can't imagine third graders! I teach, but college. Good luck tomorrow!

I stopped running about six months before surgery and put on about 30 lbs. So I have a LOT of work to do to get back into running shape. I realize 80% of my weight gain is coming off the end of my fork... but the depression from constantly being in pain and not running didn't help that either! I just hope I get the green light this Friday. I've had lots of pains and twinges this week, and I'm hoping it's normal and not from doing too much... It's bad when you can hurt yourself just walking
Unread 03-23-2014, 12:09 PM

I am so anxious to hear how your doctor's visit went...what s/he said about running...how you are feeling, etc. My first week back with my third graders went well. They were tripping over themselves trying to help me. I had Skyped them for some lessons while I was out but I am so glad to be back at it. Thanks to the help of other teachers, I am able to stretch out on pillows twice a day for 20 minutes. I feel I am trying to find a balance with work, exercise, and healing. I hope you post soon as I want to know how Friday's visit went.
Deb
Unread 03-23-2014, 05:30 PM

Thank you so much for checking! I cannot imagine being with 3rd graders - even with full energy! Bless you for following that occupation. And to go back so soon after surgery... wow. I am glad you have lots of support. And the thing about kids is, you know they are sincere, because they don't know how to be anything else. Gotta love them for that.

My appointment went great. Doc checked incisions and also down below and said I had healed beautifully. I told her I had been soooo good and I deserved a reward! She smiled and said, "How about I see you in one year? You are good to go." She said all restrictions were lifted, just go slow. I'll admit I struggled to hold it together while I left the doctor's office, but when I got in the car I broke down in huge sobs of relief and joy...

So yesterday I went to the park with the flattest path and did a very slow 3 mile walk/jog. I was so nervous, and it felt like my insides (and fat) were sloshing around a little, but it felt so good... I'm watering up just typing this.

I am sore inside and out today. I can tell my body isn't used to shaking things up inside, so I rested today, but I'll hit the treadmill tomorrow just because it's flat, cushioned, and I have more control. I am optimistic that I can finish the half marathon on April 27. And that's the goal - finish before the 3.5 hour cutoff.

Good luck at your appointment on the 7th. Be sure to report and us know how it goes. I hope you are running soon!
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:50 AM

I cried when I read your reply. It is a journey and we will all get back to running at the level we had pre surgery. Please stay in touch as I can't wait to hear how your running progresses.
Unread 03-26-2014, 04:41 PM

Wow, the last couple of days have been a roller coaster. On Saturday, I did that 3 mile walk/jog, then that evening I traveled for the first time - just a 2 hour drive to a concert. I spent the night and then drove home the next day - but I was still completely exhausted, so I did very little on Sunday. Monday after work, still feeling tired, I got on the treadmill and walked, tried to run, but my shins and calves cramped so much and my side hurt... so I finally just got on the elliptical. Discouraged, I took the next day (yesterday) off and went to bed very early. I slept 9 nine hours!

Today felt better. I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes, then did 30 minutes on the elliptical. But I also got on the weight machines and did a few light leg weights. Even though I didn't run today, I felt that I could have. I feel stronger, and that feels good. The weather here in SC is supposed to warm significantly in the next 48 hours and I'll be able to head outside and test the pavement again. More importantly, I'm feeling optimistic again... but regardless of how slow this process is, I. Will. Not. Quit.
Unread 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM

Your post helps me appreciate that getting back to our passion...running...isn't a straight path. You clearly show that a combination of not giving up while still listening to how your body is responding on any one day is the way to go. Smart women we are. Here in Maine it is just freezing; I have walked outside after work most every day and may try a treadmill walk at our local Y to change it up. I have not been on an elliptical in a long time. Do you find it comfortable, that is, does it stress your abdomen at all? I look forward to hearing about your continuing exercise journey!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register