Scheduled LAVH Upcoming hysterectomy 10/23: questions about anesthesia and smoking... help please!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 10/23: questions about anesthesia and smoking... help please!! Upcoming hysterectomy 10/23: questions about anesthesia and smoking... help please!!

Unread 10-21-2017, 09:55 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 10/23: questions about anesthesia and smoking... help please!!

I hate even having to ask this question...I have been searching through old posts for days. I am a smoker and my surgery is Monday. I quit today, but from what I read online, I'm terrified I am going to not be able to breathe, have a heart attack, or lung damage from the anesthesia!! Has anyone been in my shoes and made it through surgery with no problems? Seriously I kind of feel stupid for even having to ask, please no judging, I am doing that enough to myself!! What are the chances for actual problems? I think I am healthy besides the smoking, 41 years old, smoked for 17 years. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2017, 10:51 PM
Re: questions about anesthesia and smoking...help please!!

Hello,
I was exactly where you are, I was freaking out over being overweight and a smoker!!
Best advice ever!! Be honest with the surgical team! Tell them exactly how much you smoke. Tell them if you have smoked the day of surgery.
As long as you are up front with the people working on you, then they can plan for what may happen and the outcome will be positive! Like mine was.
Be prepared to have oxygen mask after to keep levels up while you are in hospital!
And most of all, breathe!!! You will be ok, don't worry too much on it, if pre op assessment gave the green light, then they are not worried about it!
Good luck!!
Unread 10-21-2017, 11:00 PM

I have no idea about the risks for smoking. I’m sure smokers have surgery all the time, so I imagine that they will know how to treat you. Plus, I don’t think they would do surgery if they thought you weren’t healthy enough to handle it. Smoking is much more common still In Europe and Asia, so I am sure that it’s doable and the docs can take good care of you.

I get terrible post operative nausea and vomiting, so I was researching (my surgery is 10/30). It turns out that being a non-smoker ups my risk of PONV. So, by being a smoker, you have lowered your risk of getting terribly sick like I do. So there’s that upside.

I am so nervous and stressed about my upcoming surgery. I’m fixating on the PONV, but I’ll bet we are all anxious and everyone has something they are worrying about. The subject may be different, but you are not alone in being worried. Hang in there for a few more days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2017, 01:51 AM

Mainly, as was mentioned, be honest and specific. Tell them how much you smoked and for how many years. Do you get short of breath or use inhalers, how often. How far can you walk before you’re winded. Do you have a cough at times of the day. Are you using nicotine products. They should know all that so tell them even if they don’t ask. They’ve cared for smokers before, I’m sure, you are not alone in that. They are there to care for you, not shame or judge you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register