Have a vaca planned....should I go? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have a vaca planned....should I go? Have a vaca planned....should I go?

Unread 03-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Have a vaca planned....should I go?

My TAH is on April 7th and my Dad's 60th birthday is on April 30th. I have had a surprise visit planned for several months. I fly out 20 days after surgery. I go from Montana change planes in Minn and then to Virginia. I will be alone.

Seriously, am I gonna be able to do it?

I can relax for a week when I get there and have TONS of assistance.

****oh and how do you do those cute little smiley things? You all have more exciting postings than mine!***

Thanks,

Karin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2004, 10:44 AM

Hi Karin welcome,, the smiles are explained and shown I really forget where,,but what I did was print them out then i have them to look at,,it has on the bottom of my print out (I'm not real smart with this thing)

hystersisters.com/vb2/misc.php?s=&action=showsmilies

But I am sure that some one else can help faster then me,, good luck,,

Jaye
Unread 03-28-2004, 10:50 AM

Karin-
Lots of the members here will tell you 6 weeks! 8 weeks! Wait!

I'm going to tell you what I did. LAVH March 2nd. Came home and did nothing for one week. And I truly do mean nothing. Took a double dose of vitamins every day and rested lots. Second week, I picked up a little. Wandered around the house some. Rested, but not as much. Forgot to take the stool softeners so I had a minor set back. (I'm still taking them - two in the morning.) Went back to work at thirteen days post op.

I keep the advil, vitamins, and stool softeners going daily and do a little more each day. I hope that you find your pain manageable to begin with and nonexistent after a couple of days!

I also hope you go to see your Dad. I was away at school when my dad was killed in an accident. He had planned to come see me the next weekend.

Talk with your doctor and see if he will let you go. Keep your carry on down to a purse, book, and munchies. You might also plan on having someone meet you their at the airport. And do rest when you get there.

Good Luck and Best Wishes,
Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2004, 11:18 AM

Before i had my surgery my hubby and i were planning on going to mexico the last week of my 6 weeks off..and decided against it and im so glad i did, because im 3 weeks post op and there is no way and heck i could do it..I fatigue doing 15 minutes after walking around a grocery store, to the point that if i dont sit down i will pass out, and im a healthy person, went to the gym atleast 5 days a week with an hour of cardio...so i dont know everyone is different, i would buy the insurance in case you have to cancel so you dont lose money....

connie
Unread 03-28-2004, 12:09 PM

I say go! How you feel at 6 weeks is alot different then 2 or 3 weeks. You should be fine. I know we're all different but you should feel alot better by 6 weeks. I had a tough time myself but then about 4 weeks everything started to turn around. Have Fun!
Unread 03-28-2004, 12:35 PM

Hi
I would talk to your doctor about it.
You will be nearly 3 weeks post op then and will still have a lot of restrictions.
It will be very tiring for you. Especially if you have to change planes too and will be travelling by yourself.
A big problem could be carring your baggage. You can always ask for airport assistance. If your doctor gives you the ok..phone for this service as soon as you know you can travel and explain that you have had a major operation and that your doctor has okayed you for flying. And make sure that you will have this getting on and off both planes, there and back. Making sure they pick your luggage up for you, this will also include a wheelchair.
Make sure you have someone to meet you the other side too!
I wish you all the best and hope that you will be able to make it to your fathers birthday surprise, but you must take care of yourself.
Good luck with your op and I wish you a smooth and speedy recovery

Unread 03-28-2004, 12:38 PM

Hi,

Quiet frankly, I wouldn't have wanted to fly at 20 days post-op, but then there are some ladies who do it and are okay. (I was just starting to take short trips out in the car at three weeks, and was miserable doing that!)

A good rule of thumb would be that it would be okay to fly when you can think of having a seat belt strapped across your incision, being bounced around by rough turbulance, being jostled by people getting on and off the plane, getting bumped in the abdomen, and sitting in one position for hours without breaking out in a cold sweat.

Flying is exhausting at the best of times, but immediately after surgery, it might be too much. Sitting can put a lot of pressure on your internal healing tissues and can be very uncomfortable for weeks. In addition, as already mentioned, you'll be surprised at the fatigue which can just overwhelm you without warning.

If you do fly, be sure you don't carry your own luggage, not even lifting it to put it in the car to go to the airport. You should also request a wheelchair, which will allow you to board and disembark first, and also take your tummy pillow to tuck between you and the seatbelt. And get up and walk around frequently on the plane. After surgery, we're more prone to DVT (blood clots in the legs) and sitting in one position for too long can be a problem.

Most importantly, it's always best to check with your doctor before taking any trip after surgery.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Unread 03-28-2004, 01:49 PM
vacation plans

Hi---

What does your doctor say about your plans?

It does seem like alot 20 days post op especially because you are travelling alone.

Call the airline and see what kind of assistance you can get when you change planes---do not carry anything except your purse.

A wheelchair is a great idea and have someone there to put you on the plane and meet you when you land.

------Good Luck---------kangaa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register