cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-07-2001, 02:54 PM
cervix

I'm very new to this but am having TAH/BSO this next Monday. Cervix removal is an option and I am wondering if I should just go ahead and have it out. I kind of wanted to keep things the same (as much as possible) and have the muscle support but can't help but wonder if removal of cervix would make sex life better. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2001, 03:08 PM
cervix

I had a LAVH yesterday (June 6) ..... My doctor removed the cervix also. He showed me a picture and explained that the cervix is attached to the uterus, and told me if I wanted to keep the cervix it would be an abdominal surgery rather than vaginal. I do not know if other doctors all do it the same way or not, but I opted to have the cervix removed rather than go through the abdominal wall. You may want to ask your doctor for pictures, at least you will be able to make an informed decision that way.

Good luck, and I hope your surgery goes as well as mine did.
Unread 06-07-2001, 03:48 PM
cervix

Dear Alba,

I am having the same surgery on the same day and have the exact same question!

I called my Dr. today and left my question with his nurse. "Is it possible to keep my cervix?" I'm curious because I had read about a lack of vaginal secretions and bladder prolapse if the cervix is missing. I also told her I wasn't looking for a "yes" or "no", but just wanted to hear his opinion. My Pap smears have all been fine and there is no history of cervical cancer in my family.

He is going to call me at work tomorrow, so as soon as I receive any information I'll post it for you.

Jilynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2001, 06:23 PM
cervix

Hello Ladies
I had a tah/bso 6 months ago, I had my cervix removed, and there is not one complaint for me , sex is great again and there is no pain. I chose to have mine taken out, after I had a long talk with my dr and all. Making all these decisions is a very tough thing to do I know, this is what I told my friends and family, " I have to really think about this and do alot of research on removing the cervix, it's not as if the dr can put it back if I am not happy with it being gone." So please do alot of talking and researching with you dr before you decide to do anything you are not sure about. I wish you the best in you recovery. Please keep me informed.
Kathy
tah/bso 12/08 fibroids/adeno
30 yrs old
Unread 06-07-2001, 08:34 PM
cervix

Hi Barbara Welcome to Hyster Sisters. I'm so happy you found us: it really IS a great site.

The question of whether or not to keep the cervix returns often. If you do a "Search" Search on "Cervix" you might find the answers you are looking for.

Wishing you the best of luck in your quest for answers.
Unread 06-08-2001, 04:18 PM
cervix

Dear Alba,

I spoke with my Dr. this afternoon about whether or not I should keep my cervix. I mentioned my concern about bladder prolapse.
He said since I have never had children that there really isn't any need to be concerned about this. He was said everthing would be just fine inside me and he would be sure to make everything "secure".

I trust him because he's been very honest and thorough with me and has always been right on the mark. He actually refers to us, his patients, as "his babies" and makes us feel very special and well-cared for.

So, I'm letting my cervix go. I hope, when you make your decision, you are as comfortable with it as I am with mine.

Best Wishes,
Jilynn
Unread 06-08-2001, 04:47 PM
Whether to keep cervix

Thank you to those who have contacted me. Your experiences have helped me in this decision; however, I'm still not sure on the pros and cons of keeping/not keeping cervix where intercourse is concerned. Surgery is at 6 AM Monday! I need to get off the fence! The "Serenity Prayer" is constantly in my mind. Has anyone out there kept her cervix and is happy with her decision? My doctor feels that everything should come out, but I would like to keep as much as possible, especially as there is no Known malignancy. Thank you!
Unread 06-09-2001, 07:36 PM
Cervix

Ok this is my big decision also. it just seems to make sense to keep as much as possible. Also concerned about sexual response without the cervix. I'm going to do the search.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register