Stool Softners at 6 weeks anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stool Softners at 6 weeks anyone? Stool Softners at 6 weeks anyone?

Unread 05-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Stool Softners at 6 weeks anyone?

I will be 6 weeks post on Tues. I am having a hard time having a BM, and when I do it is very hard and pebble like. I had severe pain on Thurs. and think it is all due to constipation. I can feel the gas pains once in a while like when I first had surgery again.

Is anyone still on stool softners this late in recovery? I dont now if I should start taking them again or what??

Stacey
LVH 03/29/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2005, 09:03 AM

Oh God...yes!

I am 7 weeks this next Tuesday and was told to take stoll softeners for at least 3 months.

The first week was 1 after every meal and 3 at night.

Then at week 3 it was 3 every night.

Now, 6 weeks, it is 2 at night,

Then at 8 weeks 1 everynight.

More if BM's becomes a problem. You have to get those muscles back to 'working order' slowly.
Unread 05-08-2005, 09:06 AM

I use Smooth Move. It is a herbal tea with senna and it works for me.

Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2005, 10:28 AM
OH, absolutely!

Yes, I take a stool softener once a day and 2 doses of citrucil too... I have also been taking 1 dose of milk of magnesia at night, but I am slowly cutting that down, I may add another stool softener when I'm done with the MOM. I cannot even imagine what it would feel like to constipated at this point and won't even take a chance on it. Some of the medications can slow down the bowel and everything is just so tender in there... I can feel it when anything is passing through. Do any of you experience that?

I suggest citrucil over other fiber type products sure is more gentle and works better for me. And LOTS of water...

I hope you feel better soon!

Cathy (GGG)
Unread 05-08-2005, 10:33 AM
so glad it's not just me

What a relief to see this post. I am 6 weeks tomorrow, and I was on my way to the computer to post exactly the same question!

My doc told me at 4.5 weeks that I shouldn't need them anymore, so I listened to her instead of listening to my body. Well, the pain started again with each BM, worse than before.

I started taking them again (reluctantly) a couple of days ago, and things are moving well again.

From now on I listen to my own body and my hystersisters' experience. Thanks for this post, Stacey.

Barbara
Unread 05-08-2005, 10:41 AM

Dear Hyster Sisters,

I have been so very fortunate in that area. The first 2 weeks, it just slid out. But I have to say that was because of my diet choice. Deliberately ate lots of puddings, jello, ice cream. And my main foods were things like soups, flounder fillet, cooked cauliflower, sweet potatoes, veggie dogs -- and some more substantial foods. But basically, the first two weeks, everything was pretty soft.

Well that approach worked very well for my body. Now I am into almost a 100% regular diet, but I am still very heavy w/ the water, puddings, jello, ice cream, soups, etc too.

After every meal, I have some pudding. Then a bit before I eat again, I may have jello first.

I never ate those softer foods at all before. But now is the time to continue doing so -- as it's really helping.

Yes, I've heard of that SMOOTH MOVE herbal tea that is supposed to help.

Feel well and hope things start getting back to normal.

Sincerely, Michele in Jersey (almost 4 weeks post op!)
Unread 05-08-2005, 11:58 AM

5 weeks post op here and the stool softeners have worked wonders for me. I take one in the morning, and one in the evening and I've been moving fairly regularly. The stools are not hard, making it easier for me to pass the bowel. I never thought I'd be writing this on a message board LOL. I've had constipation problems all my life and for the first time I'm feeling pretty good. My diet has improved since the surgery. I'm eating much healthier foods (which enable me to move my bowels)

Di from Philly
Unread 05-08-2005, 03:55 PM

12 weeks post-op here and still requiring stool softeners at the rate of 3/day. I was so upset over hormonal issues when I went to my doc on Tuesday that I forgot to mention this little fact. I go again in three weeks and will make myself a list.......

Oh the joys of recovery....does it ever end?

Blesigs,
Beth
Unread 05-08-2005, 04:46 PM

I'm 2.5 weeks out, and on the Colace. But that didn't work as well as I'd thought, and got contipated. Soooo, I drink one glass of prune juice *yuck* at night right before bed. I have no problems now. Just my 2cents.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register