It's my cervix, I wanna keep it!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It's my cervix, I wanna keep it!! It's my cervix, I wanna keep it!!

Unread 05-28-2003, 02:04 PM
It's my cervix, I wanna keep it!!

When the doctor told me last week I needed a total hyst (due to chronic bleeding) and ovaries too (due to polycystic ovarian syndrome) he never mentioned that I could keep my cervix. And, I just assumed it went to! So, imagine my surprise when I read that you CAN keep the little bugger! My pap's have always been fine, so, I was wondering, has anyone opted to keep thiers? If I am not making any sense it's because I am hormonally challenged right now! I'd like to blame it on the fact that I'll be 40 in 2 weeks, and hystering in 4 weeks, but...I know my hors are moning! So, any info re: the cervix would be greatly appreciated.

Had a shot of Depo-Provera today so I won't bleed between now and the big day. Anyone had the shot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2003, 02:20 PM
It's your body...

if you want to keep it....keep it!

My DR told me that I had to have a TAH/BSO (I'm 29). I asked him if he was going to remove my cervix. He said that he would rather remove it but if I wanted to keep it I could. I told him just to take it all. I don't see why I need it. Plus, it's just one more place that I will never get cancer.

Ask your DR if you should have it removed. Then go from there.....

LOL
Angi
Unread 05-28-2003, 02:27 PM
keeping the cervix

Hi June40,

I'm having a LSH(laprascopic supracervical hysterectomy) on June 6th. I have PCOS, severe bleeding/cramping/clotting, anemia. My initial doctor told me he would do a TAH and the cervix would go because that's the way he does it. My current doctor(2nd opinion) said I was a candidate for the laprascopic procedure and that my cervix would stay because I too haven't had any bad Pap smears and there is some literature that suggests it helps support the bladder. My personal choice is to keep my cervix and continue to get Pap smears regularly.

I know what you mean about the hormones! I had to go off all my medications for surgery and I'm getting lost in the hormone jungle! Hang in there and explore your options. I didn't feel it was my doctor's choice about my cervix so I sought a second opinion and my new doctor is wonderful! Explore your options and don't be afraid to ask questions about your choices.

Froglegs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2003, 05:03 PM

Had my surgery 4 weeks ago and I also kept my cervix. My dr. never even suggested the option. She just let me know they would be taking out parts that are "defective", the reason for surgery in the first place if you ask me. If it ain't broke... Anyway, my recovery has been very uneventful and the only pain has been abdominal, I always wondered if you have the cervix removed if you also have pain "down there". Havent had sex yet but foresee no problems with that either. I bled the first day for a few hours and then that was that. I would suggest researching the cervix issue. Remember, its your body and decision. Good luck to you.
Unread 05-28-2003, 09:40 PM

I'm keeping mine--I also am having the LSH, so cervix stays.

As for the shots..yes, me too. I have had one every single stinkin' month!! lol And not only that, he kept me on birth control pills, too!! Going on three months of this routine. (Had to put off the LSH because I needed to finish out a school year). I'm doing better than I thought I would with it; I really thought I would be on hormone overload. I've had some emotional days, and noticed a little weight gain, but if it stops the bleeding, well then, gotta do what I gotta do.

How are you doing with the shot?
Unread 05-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Re: Cervix

I had an LSH, but wish now that I would have had my ovaries and cervix removed at the same time. But I have severe endometriosis so now I am going to have to have it removed. I am a little concerned because it DOES help support the vaginal walls and bladder. My doctor says my cervix MUST GO! I am still in a lot of pain. If I were you, I would keep it, too!

Good luck. I am going to the castle on June 5th for my fourth surgery, now. He will remove my cervix, adhesions, and endo my other doctor didn't get.(Fired him--wouldn't believe I was in a lot of pain due to endo--that might mean he may have to admit he made a mistake! He also said that it was an insignificant amount of endo--my new doc says I have stage 4! The worse you can have!)

Take care!

Gabby
Unread 05-28-2003, 11:05 PM

One thing to realize is you can still have mini periods each month if you choose to keep your cervix...I was also concerned about the support issue but my dr. reassured me that there will still be the ligaments there and that they do most of the supporting anyway so I opted to have it removed also.
Unread 05-28-2003, 11:26 PM
depo shot

I took the depo shots for about a year and a half. It was nice not having to worry about taking the pill everyday. After I received my 2nd shot I quit having periods and didn't start having them again until about 4 or 5 months after my last shot. However, each month when I would've had my period I still had some the normal "that time of the month" symptoms such as moodiness and breast tenderness, but no cramping. I can't complain. Good luck!
Unread 05-29-2003, 02:26 AM
I am having an SAH,

but I am in the UK and it is more common over here to keep the cervix if you have no history of abnormal paps. The Dr said that he would cauterize the cervix (diathermy?) so that I would not get bleeding every month. - he did say that as there is a tiny piece of endometrium on top of the cervix that it was a possibility that you might bleed, but after this cauterisation it shouldnt happen. Of course I still have to have paps too.

best wishes on your decision.

Claire

Sah 9th June

Unread 05-29-2003, 10:29 AM

My Dr and I agreed that I'd have a hyst during a telephone conversation. Due to the circumstances, we didn't get to discuss a lot of the details of my surgery until my pre-op appointment which was scheduled for two weeks prior to my surgery. That left me with a couple of weeks to do research on the different kinds of hysterectomies and the outcomes.

By the time I went to my pre-op I was sure I wanted an abdominal surgery so I could retain my cervix, would try to keep my ovaries just in case the HRT didn't work out, and I was very much in favor of a verticle incision because in the pictures on the pelvic floor website that looked like the least painful option.

I ended up having a LAVH/BSO - lol!

I talked to my DR about the possibility of keeping the cervix and her reply was, "Not YOUR cervix." She was right. Half the problems I had been having for the last year were in my cervix. If I removed anything the cervix would have to be included. We talked about vaginal prolapse and she explained how she's very careful to take measures to prevent it. Now that my cervix is gone I realize how much the normal hormone-response movement of that smooth muscle was causing me a great deal of pain - pain I absolutely don't and can't feel now.

My DR discussed my ovaries and said keeping them was borderline. It truly was up to me. However, my husband was there and I could see the strain on his face. He had been trying to hard to be brave but was secretly very fearful something awful would happen to me. He spoke up only two times during the pre-op and one of them was to say how afraid he was I'd get ovarian cancer that would be hard to detect (I have a slightly increased risk) and how he didn't want to "go through this again." He was right. We had already gone through a year and a half not knowing for sure if I had cervical cancer (one test said yes, another said no) and I could see this was taking a toll on him.

The DR was planning a TVH but I asked her to use the lapscope so she could check one more time for endo. She agreed and even got excited about the prospect. The added bonus is I got pictures of all my insides, too.

The DR was also planning to use an epi but I had had a bad experience during my LEEP and insisted on general-A. On that issue I got my way.

And looking back on the whole experience, I think that was the prime issue. So much of my gynological history is about issues where I didn't have any choice. The pain, the bleeding, the infertility, the PMS were all beyong my control. The hyst may not completely be my choice either but I wanted to have some control over some aspect of it. I got to choose my form of anesthesia and the timing of my surgery. For my own health, keeping my cervix wasn't a choice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register