Hysterectomy 6 days ago and still no bowel motion (UPDATED) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy 6 days ago and still no bowel motion (UPDATED) Hysterectomy 6 days ago and still no bowel motion (UPDATED)

Unread 07-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Hysterectomy 6 days ago and still no bowel motion (UPDATED)

Hello,

I had a hysterectomy 6 days ago and still have not used my bowels. I am on paracetemol, ibuprofen and Endone as well as a laxative. I don't feel constipated in fact I don't feel anything, I just feel numb. Any suggestions on how I can get my bowel moving would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bowks1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2016, 08:00 AM
Re: Hysterectomy 6 days ago and still no bowel motion

I have been drinking one coffee cup of Welch's purple grape juice every night at 6 P.M. I was also taking one senekot-softener everyday. I stopped the senekot and am now just drinking the grape juice and for me it works perfectly. I think it is something I will do every night for the rest of life!
Good luck!
Unread 07-04-2016, 08:57 AM

I feel for you. I was dying. I tried everything, applesauce- ground flax seed- prune juice mix (1cup of each) two tablespoons a day -per my dr, stool softeners, prunes, black cherry juice, miralax, milk of magnesia, and nothing.... but I felt the need to go. Just nothing happening.

At five days, I tried a cup of warm prune juice first thing in the am and that got things moving (painfully and gassy though) and then four days later juice hadn't worked anymore, so I had to do a glycerin suppository and that woked. Although not the "clearing out" I needed so I kept up w the prunes and prune juice and miralax and I also began taking my regular vitamin and iron supplement that also has vitamin c and magnesium (both help constipation) along w miralax and stool softener every day and that seems to be keeping me regular.

Good luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2016, 09:06 AM

Since my surgery I've been taking Colace stool softener. After each meal I get up and walk for about five minutes. I'm careful to stay away from binding foods such as cheese, rice, pasta, and bananas as well.

I had my first bowel movement the day I got home from the hospital, one day post op.

I would contact your surgeon to see what your next steps should be. Until then, eat the things you know loosen your bowels, but don't overdo things.
Unread 07-04-2016, 11:47 AM

Post op constipation is common. Drs prefer that we go by day 5, so you need to get things moving... Hydrate- water, water throughout this recovery. Youll need to adjust your diet post op as the GI system will be different...add in apples, prunes, veggies, nuts & seeds. B12, magnesium.

For right now, Id eat 2 fiber 1 bars w hot tea & lots of water. Prune juice or white grape juice, apples, prunes, pumpkin seeds- eat them thru the day & get walking. Rest, rotate walking again thru the day. Keep the water going...When rest, use a heating pad.

Eat small meals n snacks not heavy 3 meals. omit starchy carbs like pasta, rice for now bc theyre binding. Stool softeners - you may have to stay on them until things regulate..If you need xtra help mineral suppository, prune juice, milk of magnesia. Step stool w feet on stool, lean towards knees or pull knees to chest.

I still eat fruit & pumpkin seeds thru the day to avoid any issues..& more veggies at meals. Once you go, youll need to maintain with healthy options vs sticking w laxatives bc you wont be really getting your system regulated..

Peppermint tea for gas. Watch for gas producing foods.. The 1st bowel movement can feel more painful than the surgery, so get things moving asap.

It gets better!
Unread 07-05-2016, 02:42 AM

Thanks for your responses. Today was the day!! Now to keep myself regular. I will read over your replies for some pointers. Elisa
Unread 07-05-2016, 06:44 AM

Personally, I would recommend avoiding enemas or laxatives; even "natural" laxatives like senna carry a risk for dependency, which could make the constipation worse. Make sure you're taking daily walks, which will help more than anything else. Also try supplementing your diet with magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; food sources include leafy greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and dark chocolate. Try making a smoothie with almond milk, cherries, spinach, and ground flaxseeds; that's what ultimately worked for me. Here's hoping you'll be back to 💩 soon!
Unread 07-06-2016, 01:20 PM
Re: Hysterectomy 6 days ago and still no bowel motion (UPDATED)

Two cups of strong coffee with cream and tons of cantaloupe has worked for me! Plus, walking around a lot. Day 6 now I am kind of having the opposite problem, but I am not complaining.
Unread 07-07-2016, 12:45 PM
Re: Hysterectomy 6 days ago and still no bowel motion (UPDATED)

I am 2 days post abdominal partial. I am concerned about constipation. My nurse suggested coconut oil or mineral oil along with the usual veggies and such. I wonder if anyone has had good luck with these oils?
Unread 07-07-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyraHoward View Post
I am 2 days post abdominal partial. I am concerned about constipation. My nurse suggested coconut oil or mineral oil along with the usual veggies and such. I wonder if anyone has had good luck with these oils?
Hi, Coconut oil & such are fats & fats lubricate the GI track, which can help with constipation.. If youre looking for over all treatment for post op constipation, read the above as Ive posted how to remedy (above on this thread) along with other Sisters. Follow these suggestions & if you want to add some coconut oil it would be an alternative to stool softeners. Dont rely solely on coconut oil bc youre GI system needs to function w the other foods to resume functioning normally..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register