Catheter question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter question Catheter question

Unread 05-28-2003, 09:14 PM
Catheter question

My doctor says I will be in the hospital for about 3 days and I could have sworn he said I would likely be catheterized for SIX days, approximately. It just hit me...will I actually have to wear that thing HOME? How does this work? It just SKEEVES me!! :eyes: Can I WALK? Will someone have to actually empty my bag at home??

Leigh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2003, 10:14 PM
hi Leigh!

I had the great fortune of having a Foley catheter for 3 weeks after my surgery. No, it's not the most pleasant thing in the world, but you will be able to walk. They will most likely send you home with two bags---one for at night (which is actually great, since you can sleep for 12 hours straight without having to get up to urinate) and the other will be a "leg bag"...it is smaller and straps to your leg. Either one can be emptied by you into the toilet. (It's pretty funny being able to pee standing up)!

I'm surprised, though, that your dr. is already saying you will need a catheter before the surgery is even done. Most times it is removed within 24 hours of surgery. The only reason I needed one for so long was because of a bladder nick during the surgery.

GOOD LUCK! Hope you don't need to have it, but if you do...a few of us can empathize!

p.s. BTW, it doesn't hurt coming out! That was another unfounded fear of mine...
Unread 05-29-2003, 04:16 AM
Catheter question

Sometimes if you are having a bladder erpair done you do go home with your catheter. If you are wondering if you heard right, call the office and ask, then ask why if they say yes. It's your body and you should understand what is going on. If you do go ome with one the nurses should show you how to take care of it (if they don't ask them too).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2003, 07:53 AM
Catheter question

I think he thinks it's likely I may need a bladder repair b/c we talked abut the three c-sections and how they have likely traumatized my bladder, having that many...I will ask again at my pre-op appt. but I do remember that conversation...and him saying the biggest risk he was concerned about with the hyst was
injury to the bladder...which is why he wouldn't do it laparoscopically b/c he said he wanted to visualize the entire pelvic cavity so he could keep track of and take care of my bladder suring the surgery.

Thanks for your responses!! I prepared my DH for the catheter coming home with us, and he said no problem, he'd help me with it. Gotta love that guy!!
Unread 05-29-2003, 08:35 AM
Catheter question

Hi,
Make sure you'll need it. I had 3 c-sections with my children as well and they took the catheter out the day after surgery. He never discussed this with me, and yes, your bladder will be a little sore after surgery, since they move it around a bit, but I didn't have to come home with one. Kathy
Unread 05-29-2003, 11:15 AM
Catheter question

Hi Leigh I had to come home with a foley catheter for a week after surgery. I was really worried about it, but it was no big deal, honest! I was perfectly able to manage it by myself, no help needed at all. Here's a link to an article about how it works:

Catheters?

It's not a given that you'll come home with a catheter, but if you have bladder repairs, it's a possibility. Please try not to worry about it (I know, easier said than done), if you need one, you will be glad to have it!
s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register