Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 03, 2016 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 03, 2016 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 03, 2016

Unread 01-03-2016, 01:01 AM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 03, 2016

Welcome!

This special Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread is for YOU if you are having surgery this week. This thread chat will help you meet others who are having surgery the same week as you, calm your anxiousness, and help answer your last minute questions.

To get started, please introduce yourself, sharing a few things about yourself and your upcoming hysterectomy. Tell us what concerns you have as you prepare for your surgery.

Have patience! Because this is a "COME AND GO" event, check back here during the day for replies with answers, support and hugs from new friends. Our post-op members will be stopping by, too!

As you get to know the other members having surgery this week - you will be meeting up again, after your hysterectomy, in a special thread created just for this week's surgeries in the Post Op Hysterectomy forum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2016, 01:32 AM

Hello Hystersisters! First, happy New Year everyone. . My name is Angela and I live in Northern Virginia. I am having my hysterectomy on January 6th and I can tell my nerves are kicking in. I have a few more things to do like laundry, cleaning my house ( doing this today) and prepping the area I will be staying in. I have a three level home and plan on staying on the main level the first week to avoid going up and down strairs multiple times in a day.

My doctor is doing what he calls a dual port GYN hysterectomy. It's similar to a laparoscopic type but he does the cuts differently. He will be removing my uterus, cervix and tubes and I get to keep both ovaries. Also, he is not using dissolvable stitches and I will have to go back 3 to 4 months after to get them removed (not looking forward to that part lol). I trust my doctor and I am happy with the decision I made. I just remember after my last surgery in August, which was a laparoscopy to diagnose and do tests on my bladder, I had a hard time peeing after and had more pain than I expected. So now, I think I am more worried about what will happen after surgery than the surgey itself. It was such a scary feeling not being able to pee at first. I found another hyster sister with the same doctor and she is healing fine and doing well. Hearing from her has been a big help but my nerves are still kicking in. I keep waking up I the middle of the night and think it's just because of my nerves. .

I just want to thank everyone on this site! It has been a godsend and provided me with so much help and knowledge. I just hope I can help other sisters like some have helped me. Good luck to all who are getting their surgeries this week too.

Angela
Unread 01-03-2016, 01:48 AM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 03, 2016

Welcome Ladies to your Pre Op Open House! We are so glad you’ve joined us. This is your place to introduce yourself, ask your questions, and just speak about whatever is on your mind as you approach your surgery date.

As our surgery approaches, the nerves can get out of hand! This is completely normal, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier. The waiting truly is the hardest part, so your best course of action is to keep busy. Scrub your house, cook & freeze meals, and prepare your recovery area. Stock up on books, magazines, puzzles, movies and hobbies to keep you quietly busy while you recover. Get out of the house and have fun with family and friends... go for a hike, to the movies, or perhaps have a spa day. Finally it's important to take quiet time just for you as well. Meditate, yoga, quiet walks or a long bubble bath will soothe your nerves and help give you peace.

Here are some articles to help you prepare:

10 Essentials to Pack for Hospital

5 Ways to Prepare & First Surgery

Coping with Anxiety & Fear

Expectations vs. Reality

Prepare for Hysterectomy: Tips

Relaxation Suggestions

Deep breaths, Ladies, you can do this! And we are here for you every step of the way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2016, 02:55 AM

Does your site deliver products to ireland??
Unread 01-03-2016, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabanas View Post
Does your site deliver products to ireland??

Cabanas

You can find out more about Shipping and Delivery at the bottom of every page of the Store in the Help section. There is also a Contact Us option (in the same section) for communicating directly with the Store staff.

Hope that helps!

Unread 01-03-2016, 04:27 AM

Hi!

My hysterectomy is Tuesday. I'm pretty at ease as my doctor is wonderful and knowledgeable. I actually use her and my chiropractor as my primary care providers and we can get the job done on most things. I don't know much about my surgery except that it's TVH and there may be some bladder repair needed. (things are falling out!) I don't think it involves ovaries and I don't know about other parts like the cervix.

So grateful to have found the HysterSisters. Thank you!!

Bless my fellow HysterSisters having surgery this week. I will be thinking of you.

Angel
Unread 01-03-2016, 05:54 AM

Hi I am from Northern Michigan & I have a LAVH scheduled for Wed Jan 6th.

I can relate with Angela on the urinating anxiety, when I had my daughter back in 2002 I had her by c-section & had issues afterwards with urinating.

My other anxiety is pain tolerance/walking. I have cerebral palsy of my right side & since I couldn't take Meloxicam since last week I have been in dire pain. I am hoping after surgery that I can move more easily once I can be back on it. I am actually interested to see how much hip/back/leg pain I have too once my cysts are removed. I have read that they do contribute to some pain in those areas, so I am hoping not only does this hysterectomy help my stomach cramps but those areas as well.

I have my bag packed already, been trying to keep up on the laundry too. I went shopping for canned/frozen things last week & have a tune up scheduled for my car Tuesday. My area is basically the only thing I have left to do & I plan on doing that Tuesday. My daughter & spouse are wonderful support right now too. They will both be with me the day of surgery & my spouse took the remainder of the week off.

It is nice meeting everyone & I wish you all well with your surgery!

DeVonna
Unread 01-03-2016, 06:55 AM

Good Morning! My surgery is Wednesday. I'm less worried about the surgery itself and more about the recovery. I have two pelvic tumors that need to be removed along with ovaries, tubes, uterus and cervix. The tumors are most likely benign. But we will need to wait for the pathology reports to be sure. I am 61 so the hormone loss won't be a problem.

I had a a large fibroid removed about 20 years ago and it was a painful recovery including difficulty with urination. But I got through it so I am sure I (we all) will this time too.

The doc will be using the daVinci robotic equipment to do the minimally invasive surgery. If they discover cancer, then they will need to do the hysterectomy abdominally with a large incision. So I am planning for both possibilities.

I have been cleaning like a mad woman and staying at home a lot. I know it is recommended that you get out during this time but there are some really bad illnesses going around our community that I don't want to be exposed to before the surgery. So home it is.

Best wishes to you all this week. I will be looking for your recovery posts!
Unread 01-03-2016, 07:02 AM

My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday Jan. 5th. I am having a TAH/LSO (possible BSO). I am extremely nervous/anxious. I am told my Dr. and Asssistant are 2 of the best in our area, but I still can't help but be nervous. Tomorrow I have to do a (bowel prep) where I have to drink a 10oz bottle of Magnesium Calcitrate and be on clear liquids only (I have never done this before).

My biggest fear I think is the unknown. Will I wake up from anesthesia, what incision will I have and the pain. (it's unknown if she will do a vertical or horizontal incision until she is in the OR, she said it will truly depend on how relaxed I am due to the size of the mass that I have).

Well, I will be back after surgery (Lord Willing) and provide an update.
Unread 01-03-2016, 07:13 AM

I know how you feel! I have to do the bowel prep on Tuesday. Good luck with it all. It sounds like you are in very good hands.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register