Scheduled TLH 4th level dressage rider-preop + worried about recovery time! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4th level dressage rider-preop + worried about recovery time! 4th level dressage rider-preop + worried about recovery time!

Unread 01-06-2012, 01:08 PM
4th level dressage rider-preop + worried about recovery time!

Hi, I have finally made the decision to have a hysterectomy after many years of trying to avoid it. I am scheduled March 14th. I am a serious adult amateur 4th level dressage rider. I have worked very hard to get to where I am with my riding and I am worried that I will be out of the saddle longer than I want to be (6wks?). I am going to have a laparoscopic hysterectomy. I know that my doctor plans to take out my cervix and I am pretty sure that we will opt to take the ovaries also. I have been told that recovery can be about a month, but my real concern is when I can get back in the saddle and be an effective rider. Is there any one out there who rides?? How long were you out of the saddle??? Thank you so much! Leanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Re: 4th level dressage rider-preop + worried about recovery time!

I ride. I used to compete pretty seriously, but life currently keeps me out of the arena. I am currently finishing one horse and am due to start my young gelding as soon as I can. I ride predominantly western. The lifting restrictions will keep me out of the saddle awhile. But weather permitting I hope to be long lining my older mare soon. The young gelding will have to wait until I am prepared to have him pull on me a bit. I have been down and out since July due to a horse accident and two surgeries and am chomping at the bit to get back. I am in MN, so this is the perfect time of year for me to have down time. (No indoor arena). I have really missed my saddle time. I am greatful my horse are just out my back door, so I can go visit them and get my horse fix.

I would have a serious chat with your Dr about when you can get back in the saddle. I kept my cervix, so I do not have a vaginal cuff to protect.

Best of luck to you in your recovery.
Unread 01-06-2012, 03:56 PM

Thanks for your input Beth! I believe that my doctor told me that I would be cleared 4 weeks after the surgery, but I need to clarify that on my next visit. I live in VT and rode in 11 degrees the other day. (Definitely a little nuts). My trainers are fantastic and will be able to work him while I am recovering, which is a god send! He is stabled where there is an indoor and as soon as I can drive I'll be up watching. I wish you luck in your recovery and hope that you can get back to riding asap!! Leanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2012, 04:06 PM

Sounds like you and your horse are in great hands!

I am nutty too. The temps don't keep me from riding. There's nothing like a good ride in the snow! Unfortunately the ice does. Of course the winter I am laid up it has been mild and the ice in my patures is non-existent. I am looking forward to getting back to it as soon as I am strong enough.

Best wishes for a great recovery and a quick return to the saddle. Only we horse girls know what it's like to not be able to ride. Pure torture!
Unread 01-06-2012, 05:06 PM

I'm worried that 4-6 weeks may be a little ambitious. I had a TVH and I'm sure I wouldn't have been riding for 3 months. I had my cervix and uterus removed, kept my ovaries. Keep in mind that we all heal at different rates and your doctor can only estimate when he thinks you'll be cleared. I was cleared for regular activities at 8 weeks but it took me about 3 months before I wasn't in pain all day at work. I hope things go well for you. I know if I still had my horse I wouldn't want to be away from her that long :-(
Unread 01-09-2012, 04:32 PM

Thank you! I have an appointment tomorrow and I will bring all of my questions with me. Leanne
Unread 01-12-2012, 10:44 AM

I rode 7 weeks out for short bursts, did a 50 mile race 9 weeks out.
Unread 01-12-2012, 01:36 PM

I am a Grand Prix dressage trainer in Michigan and I just had my hysterectomy 6 weeks ago. I have been back to teaching for four weeks but I have not ridden yet. I have worked it out so I can feed my horses without too much lifting but even that is still making me a bit sore. My Prix St. George gelding has gotten the past 6 weeks off from work and I'll probably start lunging him this weekend to get him going again. I'm thinking about getting on him and walking around some as well but I don't think I'll be able to work clients horses for another couple weeks. I'm just a bit too sore still and I don't want to get hurt. My doctor also cautioned me against lifting for up to 12 weeks so that will make saddling and riding strong horses more difficult.

Just to be safe, I would plan on being off for at least 6 weeks and expecting it to take even longer than that before you’re really able to ride well. Dressage is a very physically demanding discipline so be careful and be patient. Surgery is a huge trauma to your body. I’d rather wait longer and not risk injury. Best wishes with your surgery!
Unread 01-12-2012, 01:40 PM

PS: At my post-op appointment my surgeon said I could probably get back on at 4 weeks but honestly think he was crazy, that would have been really uncomfortable. Now that I'm 6 weeks I'm starting to think a little might be ok.
Unread 01-12-2012, 03:21 PM

Thank you Inva and Soleil11 for your responses! You are both an inspiration and have given me hope that I will not lose all of my fitness while I am recovering! I did see my doctor yesterday and she said that realistically I am looking at 6 weeks. I am certainly not going to rush recovery at all, but it is a relief to hear from dressage riders and their opinions! Your doctor can only give you the standard recovery time and unless he/she rides dressage they have no idea the level of fitness it takes to be an effective rider.

Soleil11...I wish you continued success in your recovery and I hope you feel good enough to at least hop on your guy asap. I'm sure that your clients miss you riding their horses also. I am very fortunate that I have 2 great trainers to work my horse while I am out. He will no doubt be fitter and better off with them over the 6 weeks than with me! I am planning on catching every ride that I can as soon as I am cleared to drive and not exhausted! Best of wishes and thanks again for your response! Leanne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register