Odd symptoms, fibroid or something else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Odd symptoms, fibroid or something else? Odd symptoms, fibroid or something else?

Unread 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Odd symptoms, fibroid or something else?

Hi all.
9 years ago I had a c/s after a complicated preg.
During the c/s 3 fibroids were found. I was not told about them, just read it in my records.
I have always had some degree of pain since then around my c/s scar. Doc and I assumed trapped nerve or something.

I have always had heavy and painful periods (pain in lower belly, back and legs). For a while they were less painful but over the last year they have become painful again and getting heavier. I also over the past year started having an increase in spotting between periods but the spotting is typically old blood (the brown sludgy looking stuff)
This past cycle I had been spotting almost everyday. Last thurs I was due for my period and got my usual cramps and an increase in spotting but the new flow did not until Monday which is very unusual. Thurs until Monday I was quite crampy and had the increased spotting. I also dev a burning sensation down my left leg and eventually had burning in my lower back on left and burning along with the usual in lower belly.
When flow finally came, it was a bit heavier.
After things slowed down some I went to see my PCP who feels the problem is likely from fibroids but she could not feel any during her exam.
I am scheduled to do an u/s next week.
I am back to just spotting, but I still have cramps (usually I only have a day or two of cramps) and I still have that burning pain down my leg.

I have been reading everything I could re fibroids. On more than one site, including when PCP pulled up info from up to date, I had read it is not typical that fibroids cause intermenstrual bleeding.
SO I am wondering if something else might be going on.
Also, I am curious about this burning pain down my leg. We assume this is nerve pain. I understand fibroids can cause this type of pain. What I am wondering though is why it is still lingering after my period is ending.

Any thoughts on this? Does all of this sound consistent with fibroids, or does it sound like something else?
I am also wondering if fibroids ever block flow? This is what it felt like from Thurs to Monday.

Thanks

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Re: Odd symptoms, fibroid or something else?

Hi jb:

Here is a link to the Fibroids section of our Resources Directory: Fibroids.

Keep us posted on the results of your ultrasound. I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:10 PM

I have had spotting between periods for a couple of years and it has always been put down to my fibroids and the occasional polyp.
Hopefully your ultrasound will provide some answers for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM

Well, had the U/S yesterday and they called me back today.
They said they saw no fibroids but saw what they think are endometrial polyps.
I will schedule an appt with ob/gyn and go over things.

Now, I am a little perplexed. I pulled out old records over the weekend that stated I had multiple fibroids. 3 Uterine and one pedunculated on the right fallopian tube. That was 10 years ago and spotted during the c/s. But none of that was seen on the u/s yesterday?
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:54 AM

To my knowledge, it's not uncommon for fibroids to shrink on their own, so it's possible that's what happened to yours that were found during your c-section. The polyps that were found in the U/S could be new. If you don't feel comfortable, ask for a second opinion. Are you getting your care from the same provider/medical group that discovered the fibroids?
Unread 01-30-2013, 05:01 AM

Hi Jen,
Also, a U/S does not always spot fibroids. I was told I had a small fibroid but there was no way I would be able to feel it bulging out in my tummy. I went back to GP after the U/S to say, feel this, there is something there that is not right. He felt my tummy and sent me to someone else - as it turned out I had a fibroid the size of a melon! I guess it was "hiding"!!

Hope you get a clear diagnosis soon x
Unread 01-30-2013, 05:39 AM

Thanks for your replies.
No I am not seeing the same provider that first spotted the fibroids. Those were found by the doc who did the c section and noted in my op report.
I am not comfortable with health care where we live, especially when it comes to interpreting tests of any sort. In the past things have been missed ... things that had the potential to be quite serious such as previa, abruption and pneumonia.
I will meet with my old ob/gyn to go over things. I really like her, I am just not comfortable with the large group she is with.
I will probably try and find someone who has a specific interest in polyps and fibroids and current treatment options in the Boston area.
I am hoping someone here will know of someone.

Kazwaz, re your hiding fibroid, this is the type of thing I am wondering about . One of the problems I have been having that had my pcp convinced it was fibroid is burning pain in my lower back and down my left thigh.
Does anyone know if nerve pain occur with polyps too?

Thanks

Jen
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:13 AM

I don't know much about fibroid symptoms apart from since I had my mega fibroid out my lower back pain has gone, I had this for a number of years. It has been replaced with hip pain but I think that's a side effect of the surgery and 6 months of little activity, and I am working on it through exercise.
In my non-medical mind I can't see how a polyp in the womb would affect nerves down the leg, but that's just my thinking! I can see how that would cause mid month bleeding though.
Unread 01-31-2013, 12:18 AM

I supposedly (long story!) had a polyp two years ago, same symptoms you are describing, and yes, I had terrible burning pain in my lower back and down through my legs. I would say into my knees. Would this be the type of pain you are talking about? Also, have you seen a neuro or ortho and had an MRI of your lower spine? Not oly could this fine a slipped disk but it might also spot any uterine problems. If you only have burning pain down one leg that wraps around your rear, then it sounds like sciatica, which is painful but an orthopedic doc or neurosurgeon could help in this area. I have sciatica too, from herniated disks, it it painful and usually is only one leg at a time. It was very bad during all my pregnancies. So an enlarged uterus can effect it, I don't know how exactly, but it does.

Keep us posted to how you are doing, I would be happy to answer any more questions you have about my experience.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register