Out of the hospital again | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Out of the hospital again Out of the hospital again

Unread 04-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Out of the hospital again

I'm terrified and I don't know what to do. My hysterectomy went terribly wrong. The 15th of March I had my post-op check-up. The midwife did it as my doctor had her baby 4 days after my hysto. I showed her my stomach and told her it felt like I was carring a bag of rocks and that it was getting red and sore. She very lightly put her finger on it and said, "Oh, if it moves it's okay". Day by day this feeling was getting worse. It was starting to feel like I had to hold my stomach to stand. On Monday I called the office to see if I could see a doctor I told them something was terribly wrong. They finally gave me an appointment with the covering physician and she immediatlely sent me to the hospital for a CT scan. I was admitted right away with an infection across the whole incision line. The doctor said the other doctor didn't put in my drainage tubes and the cerus fluid formed into an abcess 4inches across,3" wide and 2" deep. That night she came in and made 3 cuts with a scalpel, I had no numbing agent, no pain killer nothing but me holding the bed rails crying from the pain and the intense heat. As all the infection poured out it burned and welted my skin. She packed me with gauze and said I would need surgery again tuesday. I got into surgery and had to be put out she opened me up and saw I lost 3" of my facia. That's the tough part of your stomach that keeps all your organs in. She had to put my bowels back into the right place as that's what was pushing out everytime I stood. She put drain tubes in and retention stitches to keep my insides in place. I am sorry if this is so graphic but I need for people to know what an infection feels like when you have a high tolerance to pain. They had me in bed for 3 days. On the 4th day when I was allowed up I threw a pulmonary embolism (blood clot) from my right leg to my lung. The nurses didn't listen to me for 2 days when i complained about my leg having a crushing pain in it. I spent 4 days in ICU with Bloodpressure problems, Started me on insulin as my bloodsugar went way off, Started me on LOvenox stomach shots to take care of the blood clots. I then needed a Pick Line put in to do my anti biotics I was on 3 and the vancomyecin distroyed all of my little IV veins so they put a pickline to my heart. I was taught how to do it because when I went home I would be giving my own antibiotics. I was started on coumadin and I have to be on that for 6 months. I have been through hell. A 4 day hospital stay turned out to be a month. I just got out of the hospital yesterday. I am so afraid of doing something wrong and ending back there. My dh has been so great. He and my ds and dh brought me up a birthday dinner to the hospital as I spent my birthday in ICU. I am sorry this is so long I just had to vent. Is there any other complications I can have?? Marie 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2006, 11:41 AM

Marie-
I'm so sorry you have been through such a bad time. That simply sounds horrible! Here are some big 's. Hope that helps. And come here and vent all you want and need. We sisters will always be here to listen. I hope you start to feel better soon. Please take care of yourself and insist that the doctors do whatever you need to keep you on the path to health. Take care-
Julie
Unread 04-11-2006, 11:47 AM

Oh my - You need prayers and lots of love and care. I am so sorry that you had to go thru this. Please know you are in my thoughts and Prayers Marie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2006, 11:52 AM

Marie - just want to say that we're all here for you - thank God you are home and that you got the attention you desparately needed when you did! I am so sorry that you had such a horrible terrible time. You'll be in my prayers and I hope you on the path to total recovery.
Unread 04-11-2006, 11:57 AM

i hope you will be 100% very soon. {{{hugs}}}
Unread 04-11-2006, 12:11 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your pain and troubles. I'm glad that your home and recovery is on the right track again. Please take it easy, ans stay strong, every new days brings you closer to being better. Take care dear, and chin up!
Melissa
Unread 04-11-2006, 12:17 PM

I am so sorry to hear your experience. You'll be very much in my thoughts. Remember we are always here.
Unread 04-12-2006, 09:17 AM

Thank you to all who replied. I get stronger every day. But the fear of having yet something else go wrong is almost paralyzing. There are times when I'm trying to just rest and I can feel this since of urgency and I start trying to sensor my whole body to see if something is wrong. I end up taking a short nap and the fear goes away for a while. Sometimes it just needs to pour out. Thanks again, Marie.
Unread 04-12-2006, 09:40 AM

ohh my god marie i am so sorry you had to go through all of that. you are in my thoughts and good healing vibes are being sent your way. i surely hope that nothing else goes wrong, listen to your body but try and not stress because that doesn't help you to heal. pls keep us posted on how you are doing and take care of yourself. loves and gentle hugs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register