TAH 3 days post hysterectomy: when to expect BM? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days post hysterectomy: when to expect BM? 3 days post hysterectomy: when to expect BM?

Unread 11-06-2015, 09:00 AM
3 days post hysterectomy: when to expect BM?

Hi, I'm using my phone to ask this question. I had a TAH on Tuesday and am home 3 days later and was wondering when to expect a bm? I had oatmeal for breakfast and took stool softener but also on iron pills.. Thanks haven't had a bm yet..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2015, 10:27 AM

My first bowel movement was on day 6 post-op. What worked for me included regular walks, peppermint tea and prunes with my breakfast, and a green smoothie with cherries as an afternoon snack. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 11-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Re: 3 days post surgery question

Very normal to have your first BM 5-7 days post op. Keep up with the stool softeners, drinking and eating fiber and nature WILL take its course. Just maybe not as fast as we'd like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicPrincess113 View Post
My first bowel movement was on day 6 post-op. What worked for me included regular walks, peppermint tea and prunes with my breakfast, and a green smoothie with cherries as an afternoon snack. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Thank you so much! I will try everything that worked for you!
Unread 11-06-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrie22 View Post
Very normal to have your first BM 5-7 days post op. Keep up with the stool softeners, drinking and eating fiber and nature WILL take its course. Just maybe not as fast as we'd like it.
Thank you for your advice! I will keep it up and hopefully soon!!
Unread 11-06-2015, 03:34 PM
Re: 3 days post surgery question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintersky111 View Post
Hi, I'm using my phone to ask this question. I had a TAH on Tuesday and am home 3 days later and was wondering when to expect a bm? I had oatmeal for breakfast and took stool softener but also on iron pills.. Thanks haven't had a bm yet..
The iron pills may be extending the time period for you.
Are you taking vitamin c with your tablets and making sure you are not eating dairy or taking anything with calcium in within ab hour of the tablets? Calcium inhibits the absorption of iron. I had a lot of anemia with heavy periods so did a lot of research.

That aside, it's normal for your first bowel motion to take its time!! I had one on day 4, but continued to have issues for a week. The first one can make you very shaky!! And even in the following weeks, I felt weak afterwards and have to have a lie down afterwards!! The biggest thing that has helped me has been doing vegie and fruit infusions, and fluids etc as others have mentioned.
Unread 11-06-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natterflee View Post
The iron pills may be extending the time period for you.
Are you taking vitamin c with your tablets and making sure you are not eating dairy or taking anything with calcium in within ab hour of the tablets? Calcium inhibits the absorption of iron. I had a lot of anemia with heavy periods so did a lot of research.

That aside, it's normal for your first bowel motion to take its time!! I had one on day 4, but continued to have issues for a week. The first one can make you very shaky!! And even in the following weeks, I felt weak afterwards and have to have a lie down afterwards!! The biggest thing that has helped me has been doing vegie and fruit infusions, and fluids etc as others have mentioned.
Thank you ! I really appreciate your advice!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register