How do they remove the cervix from robotic surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do they remove the cervix from robotic surgery? How do they remove the cervix from robotic surgery?

Unread 05-22-2009, 02:18 AM
How do they remove the cervix from robotic surgery?

Hi i need to have my uterus and cervix removed and i never had children. First, is there only one type of robotic surgery called the Davinci? can women who never had children have their cervix removed with robotic hysterectomy? very important for me to know thanks! gina xoxo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Re: How do they remove the cervix from robotic surgery?

Hi Pinkrocks,

The answer to your questions is yes. Da Vinci is just the brand name of the robot used. They will remove your uterus and cervix through your vagina prior to sewing up the vaginal cuff opening.
Unread 05-22-2009, 01:16 PM

Hi Gina

Have you checked out the daVinci website yet? It's at http://www.davincihysterectomy.com/d...ex.aspx?id=HSS. Perhaps a search there can provide some of the information you're looking for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGal2 View Post
Hi Pinkrocks,

The answer to your questions is yes. Da Vinci is just the brand name of the robot used. They will remove your uterus and cervix through your vagina prior to sewing up the vaginal cuff opening.

ok, i'm glad i got a new doctor! My old gyno wanted to refer me to someone to do the robotic surgery but if the cervix & uterus are removed through the vagina and i have not had kids than i can't get that surgery right? if a women never had kids and needs her cervix & uterus removed than the only surgery would be abdominal correct?
Unread 05-25-2009, 01:07 PM

I had robotic surgery laproscopically (laproscopic supracervical hysterectomy- kept my cervix but had both ovaries removed). Ask you dr about it. They basically cut the uterus up in pieces and remove it through the laproscopic incisions.

I had five very small incisions-no pain. Good luck!
Unread 05-25-2009, 08:04 PM

I saw the DaVinci surgery here on this site and asked my doctor if I was candidate for the DaVinci. She said I was a good candidate because I had children. She said she normally does not use the DaVinci on women who never had children because the vagina hadn't been stretched during child birth.
talk to your doctor about this before going further.
Unread 05-25-2009, 09:04 PM

It does not make a difference if you've had children or not. I am 51, at the time of my hyster I was 50 and I never had children. One of the criteria is the size of your uterus if it's too large they can't remove it vaginally. As far as I know they give you meds to dilate your cervix, the insert a "ring" can't remember the ame of it. After they have loosened the uterus they enlarge the ring and but around the bottom of it (where it should have been placed to to dilineate the cervix and vagina). They than reduce its size and remove the uterus and cervix through the vaginal opening (if you have tubes & ovaries removed the take them out the same way) then they sew the top of the vagina shut creating the vaginal cuff. In an LSH they will cut up the uterus and remove it through the incisions. Since I had a cancer diagnosis they couldn't cut it up because if it was cancerous it could have spread the cancer. So the daVinci procedure allowed them to remove it intact through the vagina.

Go see the Dr and have them check you out. My gyn onc said the 2 criteria are a) the size of the uterus, is it small enough to come out through the uterus and b) possibility of adhesions if you haven't had children or other abdominal surgeries you won't have adhesions so that makes a good candidate. If there are issues they reserve the right to turn it into an abdominal procedure.
Unread 05-25-2009, 09:37 PM

I had never had children & my surgery went fine. It was all done vaginally. I was able to keep my ovaries but everything else is out. Best wishes.
Unread 05-26-2009, 07:48 PM

Yes, it shouldn't matter if you've had children before. They can still do the surgery robotically and remove your parts through the vagina. Your cervix is just part of the whole uterus, the opening to it, so removing it (or not) is just something you and your doctor need to decide.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register