High number of white blood cells in urine??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

High number of white blood cells in urine??? High number of white blood cells in urine???

Unread 08-19-2011, 01:30 PM
High number of white blood cells in urine???

I went to my general dr today (My gyn is out of town) because of lots of pressure and cramping after I empty my bladder, and lower back pain. He said I had a high number of white blood cells in my urine, so he put me on the antibiotic Macrobid. I have never had either a UTI or a bladder infection. During my hysterectomy they had to call urology to remove misplaced stitches from my bladder. So could the infection be from this? The dr today said he had no clue and to call my gyn on Monday or go to the er if I start running a fever. Also when I went to wipe I had an approx. inch and a half piece of a waxy covered thick string. Was that a stitch? Should I be worried?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Re: High number of white blood cells in urine???

I had the same symptoms, with some burning that was starting in my bladder. My dr. did a blood test to check for elevated white blood cells, although she said my urine sample had leukocytes in it which I guess are white blood cells or something...I have no idea.

My dr. told me that UTI's are very common after this type of surgery because of all the poking and prodding that is going on. In your case, especially, there was more going on with your bladder, so I think it would be very common for a bladder infection to happen. Mine didn't start up until about 1 1/2 weeks post op.

Have no clue what the waxy string is!
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:36 PM

Actually, many women can end up with a UTI following a hysterectomy. So many that we have even written an article on the topic!

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_97137.htm

I may have had a UTI right after I married--I didn't go to the doctor so I am not positive--but otherwise the only UTI I have ever had was following my hysterectomy.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2011, 08:40 PM

that is how they diagnosis a UTI is by white blood cells this is normal during a UTI as for the String it could be very likely that it came from your vaginal opening unless the stitches were inside the bladder I would think it would be highly unlikely that it came from there. but it does should like a stitch when the glue was coming off my belly incisions I a stitch came out with it and sounds exactly the same. Your symptoms go right along with the symptoms of a UTI and I got one a week and a half after my surgery I have chronic UTI so it was no surprise for me and I absolutely expected it. Marcobid is a very good and common antibiotic that is used for UTI's I hope you feel better!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register