TVH 12 days post hysterectomy: Feel like I should be doing better? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

12 days post hysterectomy: Feel like I should be doing better? 12 days post hysterectomy: Feel like I should be doing better?

Unread 05-03-2015, 06:05 PM
12 days post hysterectomy: Feel like I should be doing better?

I am 12 post TVH. I only had my uterus removed. I have only taken Advil for pain (meds make me sick)and it hasn't been to bad. I do have a sore feeling like stretching stitches in places. The only time I am in real pain is when I have gas or any kind of bm. Then I become a contortionist and become a bit more than sore in the pelvic area. I have good days and bad days but I feel like I should be having more good days. I feel like since I had such little done I should be feeling much better than I am. I am supposed to go back to my desk job tomorrow but don't know that I can. On good days I do walk a bit but still tire easily. Yesterday I went to my niece's bday party and sat there for 2 hours before I had to go home miserable. Today is a bad day. Why am I not doing any better yet? I don't have my first post op appt until Thursday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Re: Feel like I should be doing better?

Your going back to work before your first Drs visit ?
Unread 05-03-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khatchel View Post
I am 12 post TVH. I only had my uterus removed. I have only taken Advil for pain (meds make me sick)and it hasn't been to bad. I do have a sore feeling like stretching stitches in places. The only time I am in real pain is when I have gas or any kind of bm. Then I become a contortionist and become a bit more than sore in the pelvic area. I have good days and bad days but I feel like I should be having more good days. I feel like since I had such little done I should be feeling much better than I am. I am supposed to go back to my desk job tomorrow but don't know that I can. On good days I do walk a bit but still tire easily. Yesterday I went to my niece's bday party and sat there for 2 hours before I had to go home miserable. Today is a bad day. Why am I not doing any better yet? I don't have my first post op appt until Thursday.
to HysterSisters. We are so glad that you found us. I can understand that you feel like you should be feeling better and ready to go back to work . . . I felt the same way. I had dvTH/BSO plus repairs and I thought (before surgery) that it was no big deal and I would be able to go back to work at 2 weeks. My surgeon said I didn't understand and she was right . . . I didn't. Even though you had TVH, you still had major surgery and your body needs time to heal. We all heal at different rates and what you are feeling is normal.

You only have one chance to heal right . . . please don't return to work until your doctor releases you. Your most important job right now is to take care of you.

Remember that we are here for you. Please let us know how you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2015, 06:35 AM

I went out for a party at 11 days and it wore me out. I though, what a mistake ! Remember progress is one day at a time and you only have one chance to heal right. Can you extend your leave? Many ladies go back part time and many don't go back till after 6 wks and even then it's a challenge. Yes remember it's a major surgery.
Unread 05-04-2015, 06:53 AM

Even though you "only" had your uterus removed, that's still major surgery. This is true whether you have your hysterectomy vaginally, laparoscopically or abdominally. Even though you may not have external incisions, you were cut inside to release your uterus. You have internal stitches.

You're less than two weeks out from surgery. You're off narcotics, you say the pain isn't too bad, you're walking a bit and you put in two hours at a social event. All of that's really good for this stage in your recovery! Tiring easily and needing to allow plenty of time to rest is completely normal.

Planning to return to work two weeks after surgery is, if you don't mind my saying so, rather ambitious. Can you renegotiate this with your employer?
Unread 05-04-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Don't despair. I didn't feel good until my 4th week post op. I wouldn't push it either with going back to work. I have a desk job as well and I don't go back until next Monday. At 12 days post ok I was still VERY uncomfortable and I finally accepted that I had to just rest and not stress about it. I took four days where the most I did was shower and read and watch tv. I kept my feet up and let my body do it's job healing. I had my uterus, cervix, tubes and one ovary out. I would tell your job you need to wait until you see your doctor Thursday before knowing when you can return. You have one chance to heal the right way.... do what's right for you.
Unread 05-04-2015, 10:27 AM

Hi there, 12 days is so early to be feeling OK. I actually felt worse at 2 weeks than I did on day 1 and felt awful at 4 weeks too, it seemed like I would take 2 steps forward and 3 back. I only really started to feel a bit more normal at 5 weeks and now I'm 7 weeks and going back to work in a weeks time. I think looking back it is really important not to rush things and any hysterectomy is major surgery. You will know if you are over doing things because your body will tell you and some days you will feel great but then need to rest for a few days. It does get better but it's important not to expect too much too soon. I had a TLH
Unread 05-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Re: 12 days post hysterectomy: Feel like I should be doing better?

Thanks guys I did go in for about 3 1/2 hours. I did good. Today is a good day . Work did inform me to come and go as I please. We will see what tomorrow brings. Somehow I had it in my head that I would be good to go after a week. Silly me. I don't sit well and this is my first surgery of any kind.
Unread 05-04-2015, 11:34 AM

I've had several surgeries and this by far was my hardest to recover from. One day at a time. Glad your doing better.
Unread 05-04-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys I did go in for about 3 1/2 hours. I did good. Today is a good day . Work did inform me to come and go as I please. We will see what tomorrow brings. Somehow I had it in my head that I would be good to go after a week. Silly me. I don't sit well and this is my first surgery of any kind.
So glad to hear that today is a better one for you . . . and that you only worked 3 1/2 hours. Please rest and take care of you. . . you only have one chance to heal right the first time. You started out with a hard surgery for your first one (not that you chose it that way). Mine was by far the hardest one I have been through and I had double knee replacement. Hang in there. . . it will get better, honest.

Rest well (the feet up kind)

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register